General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Flag flying regulations

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 05:41 AM
Birdhunter1
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Flag flying regulations

Just in case yall want to know here are the regs on flying and displaying the United States Flag.

http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/flagetiq.html

Old 03-02-2005, 11:08 AM
ddrumman2004
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks birdhunter! Lot's of interesting information on that site!

Old 03-02-2005, 11:20 AM
mleichtle
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
O.k. This reminds me of a little story. A Canadian friend of mine, has'nt become a citizen yet, just moved into a new house. He's Canadian, shes American. They unpack there flages and hang 'em up. They accidently get 'em switched, the canadian on top. Its late at night, stores are closed, they want to get a second pole anyways so they plan to fix it in the morning. At 2:00 in the morning, the neighbor across the street calls the cops, the cops come and make him take the flags down in the middle of the night. Welcome to the neighborhood Maksed Profanity edited out by FTE

I proudly served my country, USA. And would do it again if asked. And I might get flamed for this, but this fool calling the cops was an unneighborly and un-American thing to do IMO.

Old 03-02-2005, 11:29 AM
CheapRanger
Elder User
Is there a neighborhood association? Being married to an American, his wife could have used free speech or what as an excuse. I would really like to know what the cops said to him.

Old 03-02-2005, 11:41 AM
mleichtle
Senior User
I don't, know its kind of a rich, snobby neighborhood. The cop said basically what the link says, its an ordinance so he had to respond and would have to give him a ticket if he didn't fix it.

Old 03-02-2005, 12:14 PM
truckertaz
Posting Guru
I would not have called the cops I would have went over there in person and asked them to fix the problem... I have done that and I have asked people that if they are going to fly the flag at night it must be illuminated... If it is torn and in bad shape I have asked them to take it down and replace it...

Many men and women died for that flag and it don't take much for people to honor it... Its a common courtesy thing, which I know is a premium anymore

Old 03-02-2005, 03:22 PM
FLgargoyle
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Seems like very few people know or obey proper flag etiquette anymore, and that really burns me. BTW- Did you know you can buy a US flag that has been flown over the capitol in DC by contacting your congressman? They are very reasonable, and it's a great way to honor someone special w/ a gift. You can get ones that were flown on a specific date, which is nice for birthdays, etc. I LOVE the flag!

Old 03-02-2005, 03:53 PM
Big Jim M
Senior User
Wink

mleichtle,

I am sorry dude but I do NOT believe even ONE WORD of this story!! The cops will not detain an illegal alien much less think about federal flag laws! It would have to be a fed to do that and only with some sort of a warrant even then..
Nope whoever made this story up was a damn liar.
Big JIm

Old 03-02-2005, 04:52 PM
polarbear
Post Fiend
I am sorry dude but I do NOT believe even ONE WORD of this story!! The cops will not detain an illegal alien much less think about federal flag laws! It would have to be a fed to do that and only with some sort of a warrant even then..

My neighbor across the street wound up talking to the cops about a satellite dish that was against the neighborhood restrictions after he refused to take it down. I've talked to them about my son and his buddies paintballing in the field behind our house- and that property doesn't even belong to the sub-division or the homeowner's association. (we now have written permission from the owners to use that field, although none of the other neighbors do .)

Some neighborhood's are...umm...different. My welcome to the neighborhood was the first morning, when I was out walking the dogs. Neighbor comes out and sez "Would you mind making sure your dogs stay off of my lawn?" Not "hi," not "good morning," and the dogs were leashed and on the sidewalk. It hasn't gotten much better- the next time I see the words "upscale neighborhood" I'm runnin' and screamin.'

Sorry- didn't mean to hijack the thread.

Old 03-02-2005, 05:25 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I own two flags that are significant to me:

One used to be flown at my fathers house when he was alive, and I kept it for sentimental reasons.

The other was flown from the USS John C. Stennis (CVN-74) for my retirement.

I have had a few concerns about my Dads flag - as it gets old it may need to be respectfully retired one day. Under the flag rules, "The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning."

Take particular note: "...in a dignified way"

This means with due care and ceremony, so as not to make a mockery of it, and preferably it is a matter best done in private. The standard of a nation should never be simply thrown out in the garbage, or buried where remnants might be dug up or become (as) litter, but respected and treated with the dignity embodied in its essense.

~Wolf

Old 03-02-2005, 06:34 PM
wickymustang
Posting Guru
If you have a flag that is no longer able to be displayed in a dignified way, the best thing to do is take it to the local VFW where they will either properly burn it or get it to the people who will. This may seem like a disgraceful thing to do, but it is not.
Many men and women have faught for the stars and stripes and died to protect the flag, some even from my family. It is getting to be a rarity for young people to know flag regs and respect the colors.

Old 03-02-2005, 07:03 PM
polarbear
Post Fiend
If you have a flag that is no longer able to be displayed in a dignified way, the best thing to do is take it to the local VFW where they will either properly burn it or get it to the people who will. This may seem like a disgraceful thing to do, but it is not.
Many men and women have faught for the stars and stripes and died to protect the flag, some even from my family. It is getting to be a rarity for young people to know flag regs and respect the colors.

A local Boy Scout Troop should be able to handle a flag retirement ceremony as well. Those young people that know the flag regs are less rare than you might think. (which is not a bad thing, mind you).

Old 03-02-2005, 11:07 PM
heavnbound
Elder User
What really burns me is those would be patriots (and I use the term loosely) that buy a flag for their car and drive around with it attached until it's nothing more than a flagpole with a couple strings attached! When a flag is torn, tattered, and looking like something the cat dragged in and then didn't want to play with, get rid of it (in a dignified manner) and get a new one. Since 9/11 flags are everywhere. It's not expensive nor difficult to come by a flag so don't keep old worn out faded or shredded flags. You are flying the symbol of our country (Americans) so fly it proudly. As it was said elsewhere, a good many Americans fought and died for that flag.

Old 03-03-2005, 12:05 AM
Big Jim M
Senior User
Thumbs up

Try not to get your pantys all in a wad over the guys wearing out their flags... They really mean well and are showing their patriotism as best as they know how! I am sure the site of all those flags scared the holy hell out of our enemies. It was a time to show the flag and not worry about the results to the flag itself. I am PROUD of our countries reaction to 911.
No offense meant!
Big Jim

Old 03-03-2005, 12:50 AM
Birdhunter1
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Jim M
mleichtle,

Nope whoever made this story up was a damn liar.
Big JIm
If the flag is being displayed improperly, and it is visible to the public, it is also considered in "plain view" of police. Therefore police do not need a waarant to come to you door and tell/ask/whatever you to correct it. Law enforcement officers, regardless of Local, State or Federal, can ALL go off of plain view and they can and do wory about federal flag etiquette. Maybe not all of them know the proper methods but they can and do correct people, many law enforcement officers are veterans and they WILL tell you how it is when it comes to the flag they fought for.

As far as the warrant thing and plain view it is kinda like if police watched you, from the street as they are driving by, harvest marijuana in your front yard. It is in plain view and they can come on to your property and arrest you, if you run into the house they have ALL authority to come into your house, and get you too. So far in this scenario there was no warrant issued and no 4th Amendment illegal search and seizure violations.

Quick Reply: Flag flying regulations