2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about 6 Disk MP3 swap + sub

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 01:56 PM
JoeKramer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about 6 Disk MP3 swap + sub

I got a base model 2005 F150 with an AM/FM radio. I have been seriously considering getting a 6 disk MP3 unit on E-Gay. I keep thinking that this would be better than an after market system as I wouldn't have to remove the face and people would not be as tempted to steal a factory radio as an after market unit.
Will this simply bolt right in to my 4 speaker system I have now?
Also people are talking about having subs in there trucks from the factory. Is there a special radio that supports that or are all the 6 disk units capable of running in that setup?
I would like to put in a sub in my truck but don't want to take up the space behind the seats or have a system that anyone can see. I have a center seat that is the 40/20/40 split. I was thinking of ether removeing that seat for a custom center with cup holders, CB radio, arm rests ect. and a sub built in under neath. If I don't remove that center seat I was thinking that I could make a custom fiberglass enclosure under that seat with a 10" or firing straight down.

Old 02-28-2005, 07:01 PM
Litre1
Junior User
I know it's tempting to go after an OEM 6-disc changer, but from the problems I have had with homemade discs and MP3 discs--I would steer you away from it. Your money is better off being spent on an aftermarket unit that actually READS the discs the literature claims it reads.

I'm getting ready to spend the night burning CD's with every configuration possible with my software to see what combinations work with it. Tedious, yes, but I have to decide if the 6-disc MP3 unit is worth keeping. I have less than 200 miles on the truck and I'm debating about replacing the HU.

Old 02-28-2005, 08:18 PM
JoeKramer
Senior User
Its already on the way. LOL

If it dosn't work the way I want it to then up on the E-Bay chopping block it goes and I will get a after market unit. I see a few 2XDIN jobs out there that have a CD and tape with CD changer controls. I would get that unit and a 12 disk changer. Then adding in a 5 channel amp with 4 good aftermarket speakers and 1 12" sub would be easy-peasy-lemon-sleasy!
If this works fine then cool. I will not have to worry about people bustin into my truck after it and I will not have to remove the face all the time. I will get to listen to the radio on my 1.5 mile drive to my ferry in the morning! YAY! hehe