Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pressure gauge or motor trouble?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 01:31 PM
92Pony
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Oil pressure gauge or motor trouble?

The truck in question is a '90 F150 - 302/aod with 169k mi.

I have one of those glorified id10t lights in the dash (gauge). The sender is less than a year old, and since replacing the sender, the gauge has been behaving consistently normal. Last week, I took the opportunity to run the AOD through the gears from a stop. Somewhere around 60mph (and I have no idea what rpm - say 4k-ish), the oil pressure gauge caught my eye; It was falling fast! I immediately got out of the gas, and it slowly crept back to a tick or so below dead-middle. When I got to my destination (just a mile away) I checked for oil leakage, but there was none. I haven't gone WOT since, buut the gauge has been acting normally, and the truck has been running normally as well. I haven't checked the oil level yet. It was just changed a month or two ago, and it usually maintains the level.

What would cause a motor to lose oil pressure at RPM like that? Or are chances that it was just the gauge being fruity?

I had done the Seafoam 'treatment' a few days prior to clean the top end a little (sucked Seafoam in through the vacuum line, let it sit, and then fire it up to create the big smoke-show ). Do you need to change the oil after doing that? I didn't.... Just wondering if any Seafoam making it down into the cc would have any effect.....

Any ideas guys?

Thanks,

Wade

Old 02-21-2005, 09:01 PM
Guitar_Stitch
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sounds like the gauge

Old 02-21-2005, 09:51 PM
MRL123
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you checked your oil yet? Any funny "floaters" sticking to the dipstick? Any kinda foam or whatnot? If the oil looks OK and the level is good I'd think maybe just the guage. I don't know if this relates to our truck engines at all but I know that on my touring bike when I'm at WOT with a passenger all of the oil will suck to the back of the sump and cause the oil pressure light to come on and scare the hell out of me. Just a thought.

Cheers!

Mike