Smelly Garage

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2005, 12:20 AM
JimR500
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smelly Garage

My machine is giving off gasoline odors when is gets into the garage [.."..so, are you expecting french perfume..." wrong answer!!]. I don't sit and idle the engine when the machine comes in but it doesn't take but perhaps a half minute before the little-woman-who-reads-over-my-shoulder comes out with "why does it stink so much?" Its getting to the point where she is making noises that I should heaven forbid park outside. A quick inspection didn't show any leaks in the lines. There is a hose from the charcoal cannister to the air cleaner. We have to keep two fans going in the garage to get rid of the odor. Anybody got a suggestion that might fix this problem and preserve the peace and harmony here?
----------------
72 R500 351C 4V C6 w/GT trim

Old 02-19-2005, 01:34 AM
Rancheroracer
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Check the carb. & fuel pump close. Sometimes small leaks don't leave much visible evidence, especially the carb. If carb is leaking onto manifold that would explain the odor, dangerous also. Sometimes the carb will "dribble" fuel down the throats after shutoff. Pull air cleaner & check everything as soon as you shut if down.

Old 02-23-2005, 05:00 PM
ranchero Dan
New User
I am having the same problem with a 460 in my 79 ranchero and i found that the fuel pump casting has a small crack in it. You don't really smell any gas when driving, but when you pull into the garage... WOW! smells like you dumped a gallon. So check your pump for any (even slight) wet spots. I would also check your oil to see if there is any gas present there that would also be another sign that the pump has failed. Good luck! Dan the ranchero man.

Old 02-23-2005, 10:01 PM
JimR500
Freshman User
Thanx, ranchero Dan & Rancheroracer.
<>Thus far, some suspects have been eliminated: no holes in the hard lines, the flex line at the tank, the flex lines at the pump, or the line from pump to the filter; the flex vent line seems to be OK as far as my hand can reach on top of the tank. The next thing to check is the fuel pump [...do the easiest thing first] and the oil sump as you two have suggested. A carb leak is entirely possible and that will be checked in order. The saga continues, posts will come as things develop.
<>Another thing has crossed my mind: how/what determines how many gaskets should be placed between the carb and the manifold? Enough to make a good seal? Is the heat a factor in what thickness is used? Help!!

Old 02-23-2005, 10:38 PM
Rancheroracer
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Usually one gasket unless it has a "sandwich" plate between carb & manifold, if it does, then there would be a gasket on either side of the plate.