1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

T-5/Tremech trans install

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2001, 08:37 PM
Herdsman
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a '81 F150 with a 302 and a 4 speed trans. 4th is an overdrive gear. I would like to install a Tremech trans in place of my existing trans. I know the Tremech in a direct swap for a T-5 in a mustang so anything aplicable to installing a T-5 should apply.
What I need to know is what would be required to do this swap. Will the trans bolt up to my existing bellhousing? Will my existing clutch linkage work with the clutch assenbly needed to work with the Tremech/T-5? If the linkage won't work what mods will be needed?
Any help is apprciated.

Old 12-30-2001, 02:25 PM
restorit
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't accurately answer your questions, but I would suggest contacting Jeff's Bronco Graveyard. They advertise a conversion kit which adapts a T-5 to a Dana 20 transfer case. In their catalog notes referencing the kit, they mention that "The W/C Ford T-5 transmission does require a special bellhousing that has a different transmission index diameter. We suggest that you retain all of the original 5-speed components for the bellhousing area." It doesn't sound like you're trying to adapt this to use in a 4WD, but I would still think their comments about the bellhousing may apply. They may also be able to offer some insight on the clutch linkage end, as well.

Old 12-30-2001, 08:57 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,743 Likes on 1,413 Posts

Can you get a shifter long enough for a tremec or a t5?

Old 12-31-2001, 07:06 PM
Herdsman
New User

Fabricating a shifter handel would be easy. Fabricating clutch linkage isn't. All I need is an adapter that will allow my bellhousing to work with a Termec or a bellhousing that will work with my clutch linkage.

Old 01-01-2002, 11:50 AM
restorit
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another place to call or check..... Windsor-Fox Performance Engineering (www.windsor-fox.com). While they specialize, primarily, in swapping late model EFI engines and T-5 / AOD transmissions into early model Mustangs and other Fords, they have also produced a number of conversion kits that allow you to convert a clutch assembly to either a cable-actuated or a hydraulic-actuated type. I realize these are intended for Mustangs, but I wouldn't think there would be a lot of work to adapting one for use with a truck. Might be worth checking into.

Old 01-01-2002, 03:24 PM
OldFords
Senior User

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 01-Jan-02 AT 04:41 PM (EST)] I put a 351W/T5 combo in my wife's 81 F100 (very similar to your F150) after I blew the junkyard 302. It wasn't that difficult, just time-consuming.
Got http://www.fordmuscle.com/index.shtml and click on 'more tech' at bottom of the page. Then "page down" to T5 conversion (right side of page). It will give you pretty much all you need to know. Study the clutch fork spacer info closely before you fabricate one. It confused me and I wound up with four bolt holes instead of two.
I used my cross-member (the bolt holes for the tramsmission mount
lined up just fine.
My wife wanted to keep the bench seat so I had to fabricate a shift lever (the T5 shifter came up under the seat). I made it out of 5/16" steel plate and welded the chromed shaft (with unmarked black ****) to the end of it. Can't tell any difference from the T5 shifter).
Go for it, you will really enjoy the difference.

Eddie
Redneck with a degree who still likes headache racks, CB's with twin anntennas (antenni?), dual exhaust, and 'WestCoast' mirrors

Old 01-01-2002, 03:34 PM
dustymaine
New User