Not good for my 54 year old back!!....

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2005, 06:56 PM
loveoldtrux
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Not good for my 54 year old back!!....

Removing this manifold once-a-month, that is....

I started out in the industry doing heavy duty engine repair on Chebies and poncho products - lifting heads off an engine for valve jobs almost daily - no problem. I'm getting real tired of just lifting this edelbrock manifold on and off... know-what-I-mean?

I learned the trick of using the 1/8" blue silicone at the front and rear of the intake for sealing that --- works like a charm (although I'll have to say I like Pontiac's idea of the valley pan better....). BUT.... I keep having a small coolant leak at the front of the water crossover at the left head. Just small enough to be sucked out during 110 daily miles of driving and blown everywhere in the engine compartment. Any ~solutions~? I'd be interested in WHAT kind of gasket you used and what sealer...... I've had this off 3 times now and I'm getting real tired...

Old 02-18-2005, 07:55 PM
67Pustomp
Junior User
try stepping up sealant either black rtv or copper gasket maker..make sure it looks good cleaned with no gasket matched up and of course the stuff really should dry[cure] for 24 hours before adding water and fire up if pssible on deeds like that

Old 02-18-2005, 09:28 PM
airharley
Postmaster
You may also want to try to find a washer that has a o-ring embossed on it to cut down on the possibility of it leaking between the intake and the bolt head. It's a long shot but that may very well work for you in addition to what 67Pustomp wrote. I personally use Black RTV and pipe thread sealer (reduce leakages in threads) when installing heads and intakes.