Finance mgr scam: Please Read

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 01:04 AM
polarbear
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll rephrase that: I'm in the Ford and the Chevy biz, and vincent is the Ford computer program, VISS is the GM version of the same thing. If we need to know something about your car, we plug the VIN into either one and get answers. Like whether you filed your taxes last year. (just kidding)

The Northwest Chapter of FTE
we don't get lost,
we just get found

Old 02-20-2005, 07:18 AM
bcjim
Posting Guru
whats up with the "ad fee" some people seem to pay? I have bought several new cars and never saw much less paid for any such nonsense.

Old 02-20-2005, 11:21 AM
Ruckus
Posting Guru
polarbear , It sounds like you are the the guy to go to for serious info. Thanks !

Old 02-20-2005, 12:09 PM
ATCS2004
Senior User
Originally Posted by polarbear
[IThe one thing CA dealers will not budge on is the "doc fee" that goes directly to them, not DMV. Maybe that is part of the F&I persons commission. I just mentally include that in my calculation of gross profit for the dealer"[/I].

The deal on doc fees goes something like this- it's not mandatory to change a doc fee, but if a dealer charges it selectively, he's leaving himself open for a potential class-action suit. So, once the decisions made, it becomes an all-or-nothing proposition.

Unfortunately, no one gets paid on the doc fees.

I never pay the DOC FEE or Ad Fee. I have bought 4 new vehicles over the 19years I've lived in California and have refused everytime. The dealer didn't like it, but if your in the business of selling cars then there is documentation that has to happen and as far as I am concerned the dealer will pick that up. I have never had to take my business elsewhere over these fees, the dealer always agreed to eat them.

Old 02-20-2005, 01:09 PM
Ruckus
Posting Guru
I never pay doc fee . The business mgr. usually always tries to pull that one . That is old school stuff .

Last edited by Ruckus; 02-20-2005 at 01:14 PM. Reason: edit
Old 02-20-2005, 01:29 PM
polarbear
Post Fiend
Guys-

I appreciate your thoughts, but if the dealer doesn't charge you, and then charges others, he's leaving himself open for a lawsuit. DMV in Oregon does spot audits- I'm assuming they do in California as well. If the dealership gets caught selectively charging doc fees, they'll get fined thousands- plus additional liability potential. If dealership personel put the dealership at risk making decisions like that, I'd be lying awake at night (if I was the dealer principal) wondering what else was going on I should know about.

Sooo...whatever you may think, it really was improper...and illegal...for the F&I manager to make that call. Wouldn't happen at my store- and if we lose the occasional deal because of it (we do), so be it.

Old 02-20-2005, 01:45 PM
Ruckus
Posting Guru
Talking

I always tell them that I will take documentation to the court house for them , if it will save me money . Then they go check with someone and when they come back they tell me they will take care of it ! I always say Thank You .

Last edited by Ruckus; 02-20-2005 at 01:49 PM. Reason: edit
Old 02-20-2005, 01:59 PM
jbone108
Senior User
I always buy using a out the door price. I don't care what kinda fees they want to charge as long as they give me my price.

Old 02-20-2005, 02:00 PM
Ruckus
Posting Guru
I do pay about $25 for title fee and temp. tag . But not the $100 or so that ask for.

Old 02-20-2005, 04:43 PM
aarontaht7.3L
Freshman User
speaking of fees...MY sales manager is going to kill me here, but on warranty’s the price is negotiable (but not one customer has ever negotiated), if the customer buys the warrenty at the offer price, I get $100 added to my commission, if they bargain, I get $25. Same with the "Premium Protection Coating" which amounts to a clear sticker on the front 1/4 of the hood and scotch gaurd. Above $795 I get another $100, less than I get $25, And I get 20% commission on gross profit, that amounts to about $300-$600 for each used and about $100-150 for new! Do the math...Were a reputable No hassle dealership out in the boonies no less no less!

Old 02-20-2005, 05:43 PM
Ruckus
Posting Guru
I like" out the door "price practice . However , you would have to know everything you wanted was written down and included .

Old 02-21-2005, 02:09 PM
Level2
Posting Guru
The determination of final price depending on where you go CAN be set by the salesman. It depends on the way the dealership structures its sales force, but for the most part it is the sales managers call. I worked for a Ford dealership for about a year and learned a lot of things about the business. First off, like has been stated, the finance guys get nothing off what they refer to as the front end of the deal, meaning the selling price of the vehicle. They make their money from bumping finance rates, aftermarket parts, warranties and other misc. stuff so the best way for them to make money is to fatten up the back end of the deal by bumping your payments, selling you things you dont need or want. I think the F&I guy was trying to get into your pocket a little bit but the salesman is only a poor pawn that catches all the blame. Some salesman actually are honest people just trying to make a living but others are out there to scam you into the biggest most expensive car they can shoe-horn you into. Just find a good salesman and be loyal to him with your business and they will bend over backwards to help you.

Old 02-21-2005, 02:29 PM
Ruckus
Posting Guru
Man,you are so right.I have found over the years that I am better off starting on the back end with such things as extended warranty and accessories.These things very so much from dealer to dealer.Especially,since I usually do not trade in my old vehicles.

Old 02-21-2005, 02:41 PM
howardlj
Senior User
Do the easy thing like I did. Buy from Jeff Clark and make the whole "hair-hurting" experience go away. I tried locally with 3 dealerships and got nothing close to Jeff's price on a 2005 F350 V-10 CC LXT 4x4 at end of January. Got the special $1K under invoice too along with the rebate. Can't beat that with a stick!!! The only problem which is a big one is that I have to wait for delivery in March. Well it will be a nice Spring day when I travel from Pa to NY to get the beast.

Old 02-21-2005, 03:19 PM
Ruckus
Posting Guru
Smile

Well,the word is out about this Jeff guy!Next time I am ready to buy,I am going to check with him.I love the new Super Duty.Good Luck and have fun with it.

Quick Reply: Finance mgr scam: Please Read