Reading tranny fliud

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 05:28 PM
Marc150
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reading tranny fliud

I am having a little trouble reading the level of fluid im my tranny(E4OD). When I pull the stick out, there is a fluid "web" over the bottom hole, none on the second but there looks to be fluid up farther on the stick, like near the crosshatched area. I have never liked reading the tranny fluid in any car. FOr some reason I can never see exactly where it is. Should I add fluid untill it shows a "web" over the second hole or is there a trick to reading it?

Old 02-16-2005, 07:53 PM
jim henderson
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah I have been checking tranny fluid for over 30 years and I still have trouble being sure what it really is.

First follow the manual instructions on how to do it. Most auto trannies require a specific sequence of gear shifts, running time and temperature, plus level driveway to get an accurate measure.

When I check, I check two or three times and even a few times during the week. It can be significantly different(1/4 inch plus or minus) each time, but the general trend should tell you what you got. ATF is awful thin so it runs off fast and is hard to see, that or my eyeballs are going out of spec.

I even have had newly rebuilt trannies that were a quart low from the shop after driving a few days, so I guess even they have trouble or changed conditions will seriously affect the level.

I would go for filling all the holes until you are sure you are solidly in the OK range.

Good Luck, Check and check again

Jim Henderson