General Automotive Discussion

Big Rig air horns

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 05:15 PM
dino360
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Big Rig air horns

Does anyone have pics of their truck with dual air horns? I am thinking about installing some but I am not sure how it would look. I have the cab lights and It seems like those air horns would be a cool add on.

Old 02-16-2005, 05:38 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 59 Likes on 30 Posts
You might think about placing them under the cab

Old 02-17-2005, 01:13 PM
Gregg C.
Senior User
Any truck I put them on I installed them under the hood. I suppose chrome on the roof, on the right truck would look great!

My only expierience......My buddy, who has a '77 Chevy, which he has invested a fortune, has them mounted on his roof. On the caps for them he has painted "BLOW ME". They look great!

Old 02-17-2005, 01:56 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
PREGUNTA (little question): What kind of air horns do you want?

Not long ago, I began investigating the big rig parts options in and around Memphis, and there are a lot of things out there.

You should look around not only at truck stops, but also at used rig and salvage yards (many of them DO offer new equipment).

There's a truck around here that has TRAIN horns on the roof, and buddy...

Them suckers is LOUD! - God awful loud... It's outrageously funny.

One of the places I went to that deals in used trucks and salvage (I was looking into rig mirrors for my flatbed) has a kit to mount train horns, but I think you need to also have an air reserve tank and also either an electric or mechanical compressor.

An electric compressor would charge the tank just fine, and about as fast as a mech compressor. But most "fake" air horns use a small electric compressor running directly to the horns. I don't think you want that, because a stored air charge is far more powerful (and thus LOUD) than a lame stand alone compressor.

I hope my thoughts here give you some ideas...

~Wolf

Last edited by Greywolf; 02-17-2005 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Mis-spelled
Old 02-17-2005, 11:52 PM
C M Budke
Senior User
I have a pair of chrome Grover horns on the roof of my '95 F-250. They look great! They are the twin horns that International put on their 4700-4900 series trucks. The kit includes the horns, the compressor, storage tank, and tubing. They weren't cheap. But, the sound is well worth it! I've had them on for for 6 years and still love them. They are attention getters! Picked them at through TruckPro. But, I'm sure they're available at Napa, and other truck parts supply houses. If I knew how to set up a gallery, I'd have some pics for you. Oh well, I'll figure it out someday.

Good Luck!

Chris

Old 02-18-2005, 02:29 PM
dino360
Tuned
Cool

I have a set of the dual tone horns (one longer that the other mounted on one mount) that I might mount under the hood because I hate the way trucks look with those ontop. I can get a set of horns and mount them pretty cheap but I just want to see how they look. If anyone has a pic, that would help out.

thanks