2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No more vibrations!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 07:34 AM
anthony99
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking No more vibrations!

Fellow FTE, I have a big smile on today because I got my truck back yesterday and there are no more vibrations in the steering wheel.

My vibration was mostly in the steering wheel and happened at 40-55 mph, and was torque sensitive. It was more noticeable under acceleration at those speeds, and just about went away if you threw the truck in neutral at those speeds.

It was not a left-to-right motion of the steering wheel, but rather a back and forth (front-to-rear) vibration or chatter that could be felt quite strongly (but not violently) with your hand on the steering wheel.

The thing that fixed it was a new ring and pinion in the rear end. My dealer was very helpful in working with me to get it fixed.

Old 02-16-2005, 10:49 AM
anthony99
Senior User
I forgot to mention that I have a 4.6L '04 F150 SCAB, Fx2. And thanks to everyone who posted info on this subject that helped me get informed before talking with the dealer.

Old 02-16-2005, 12:21 PM
DWEELER
Freshman User
anthony99,

Glad to hear it! Did they go through the whole TSB on your truck, balancing and indexing tires, new driveshafts, yada yada? And is the vibration completely gone or do you still have a little intermittent vibe here and there?

The reason I ask these questions is because I have been through the exact same thing for the last six months with my '04 Lariat Scab. The really funny thing is that I had my truck in the dealer pretty much all last week, got it back last Friday and they finally fixed my vibe with new ring and pinion gears! Of course they put in another new driveshaft and rebalanced the tires, but what the heck, its vibe free for now. I've put it through its paces since I got it back and I still feel a little buzzing around 60, but its not constant and its very slight. I think my butt is ultra sensitive to any vibe since I've been living with it for so long!

Anyway sorry I rambled on so long, but I wanted to tell you of my plight and that I'm excited for you. If you're like me, it feels like having a new truck again!

Take care and congrats!

Old 02-16-2005, 01:13 PM
anthony99
Senior User
When I first took it in after the vibration TSB came out, they did a road force balance on the tires and replaced the driveshaft. I almost knew that wasn't going to work because my vibe was torque-sensitive and the TSB clearly states that the driveshaft replacement is for torque-insensitive vibes.

So the vibe was still there when I got it back. I took it back in and showed the tech how the vibe was torque-sensitive and after two days of troubleshooting and talking with Ford, they decided to replace the ring and pinion, which worked.

I have heard reports of people that have had the ring and pinion replaced, but their vibe eventually came back. I am hoping that is not the case for me or you.

It does feel like a new truck! It is taking me a while to get used to this vibe-free environment!

And I have to again thank all the FTE forum posters, from which I have gained tons of info and insight to help get this problem solved.