Bronco II Ford Bronco II

Why swap engines???

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2005, 08:03 PM
billsdaddy
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why swap engines???

I've been reading about Explorer 4.0 engine swaps into BII's and it's got me thinking.... why would anyone want to change to a 4.0 from a 2.9? Do they have a better heat tolerance? Is the block that much less prone to cracking under heat and stress? Is there that much gain in HP or torque to make bogging or crawling or hill climbing or daily driving better? If so, why wouldn't a guy just go spend $2500 and $1000 for a body lift and decent tires on a used (EARLY) Exploder and be done with it? I know we have all grown to love and appreciate our BIIs, but what is it about these things that got us here? We like the compact size (for trail riding, going to the store & taking the kids to practice) the readily available $200 paint jobs, the gas mileage, the proven durability of the D28 open differential front axles and stock hubs (let's face it, you're gonna get stuck anyway if you're really having fun, why break expensive front end parts?) Get a winch and red-top battery w/ 80 amp alt.for trail rides... And most of all we like the balance, performance and power of the stock BII 4x4. These engineers may have been drinking when they drew the back hatch, spare carrier, rear leaf springs and RABS, but it's a pretty good stock design otherwise and for less than the 4.0L upgrade you can have a brand new 2.9 EFI, new 30x9.5 or 31x10.5 super swampers on stock 7" or $50 15x8 steel wheels and still get 20+ mpg on your way to work to pay for your addiction. Not to mention the fun you can have on weekends (join a local 4x4 club and you won't have to pull yourself out---WHEW lesson learned)

Sure you can always make upgrades, but for the money, there's a lot to be had from the under-rated 2.9 and the stock Bronco II----Just don't let it get too hot or let the oil get old, otherwise we'll be having the same old discussion later on. Going mudding now.... We'll see if I feel the same way in an hour or two... Good luck w/ your American CLassic Bii's. RC

Old 02-15-2005, 10:00 PM
billsdaddy
Junior User
Ok, now I know. Decided to take the F150 4.9 instead of the BII 2.9 out to "plow" the food plots. Even with Michelin cross terrains in back and mismatched 235/75s in the front I managed to go through the same water and clay muck that had my BII buried last week. Granted, I was going a little faster and chose 2H in the pickup over 3L in the BII, and my neighbors are probably still just as disenfranchised with my adolescent behavior as they were last week, but I am now thinking that more HP= more fun. At least more noise from the engine and mud slinging from the open front. BTW, I always wondered what happened in an open front differential when both wheels slipped and now I know: both keep spinning and digging and you get a nice, even coat of mud on both sides of your truck. Not bad for a school night. I love the feeling of high-velocity muck shooting in from the door cracks or rusty floor boards onto my leg. How much fun can you get from one of these old trucks before you have to call it quits?? I guess time will tell....

Old 02-18-2005, 02:49 AM
RomerB2
Postmaster
Sorry, but I don't see the point to this thread... First you say why swap engines, then you say more HP= more fun.. The reason to swap engines is to get more HP, and a better tranny.

Old 02-18-2005, 07:53 AM
billsdaddy
Junior User
I know, I was running of at the mouth (or fingers, as the case may be) and ended up editorializing. I really just wanted to know if the 4.0 was that much better than the 2.9 for everyday driving and occasional off roading to justify the expense of the bigger engine, new tranny, front suspension, changing axles, driveshafts, electrical components, etc. when the stock BII w/2.9 seems really well balanced and capable as-is. Oh lord, there I go again with the editorial. In YOUR opinion, is the swap worth it for everyday use? I'd like to hear from people who have gone with the 4.0 and see what they think. I'm kind of at a crossroad and value your opinion(s) on this! Thanks, RC.