Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

GM to drop Quadrasteer

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 05:58 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
I have never heard of any on the QS....could be wrong...would be the first time in 10 or 20 or...hum.. cannot really remember how many years it has been.

Old 02-16-2005, 06:26 PM
Fordtastic
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My step sister bought a used GMC with the QS and she seems to love it. Course she never tows and its just a daily driver. I think the only problem she has mentioned, is an increase in lube maintnance.

Old 02-16-2005, 10:16 PM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yah Jebs right its to bad it wasnt offered on the diesel and 8.1 engines. A GM tech is on this site and said there werent too many problems with it. At least none his dealership ever seen. He was kind of impressed with it himself. Ill bet it will comeback someday. Seems like a good idea.

Old 02-16-2005, 11:32 PM
polarbear
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've posted before about the war going on inside GM between the great and the goofy. The Quadra-steer is a classic case in point- great idea for tow rigs that normally measure their turning circles in city blocks, not feet. The fact that they didn't carry development through to include the 8.1 and the 6.6 simply means it got marketed before development was done. Then they hung a price on it that was absolutely stoopid... Hmmm, when have we seen this before?

Here's a piece of trivia for you: Anyone know what the first car was to offer heated seats? Mercedes? BMW? Nope....Cadillac, in 1966. A one year option that didn't resurface in GM until almost three decades later. Some things never change.

re: QS buybacks. Haven't heard of/seen one. they've been really reliable.

Old 02-17-2005, 07:22 AM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,972 Likes on 1,107 Posts
Originally Posted by 150ford
Yah Jebs right its to bad it wasnt offered on the diesel and 8.1 engines. A GM tech is on this site and said there werent too many problems with it. At least none his dealership ever seen. He was kind of impressed with it himself. Ill bet it will comeback someday. Seems like a good idea.
It's amazing how well the systems work.

As far as the system being used on the HD series trucks:

1. The system uses ball joint knuckles and CV joints on the axleshafts. The knuckle design, although beefy-looking, is still just modified ball joints (doesn't lend itself well to handling really heavy loads).

2. The wheel bearings in the rear, although not 'technically' a semi-floater, uses the same style unit-hub bearings as the front axle on every current 4x4. We all know that there's not much strength to be had with unit-hub bearings. I'd prefer to see a full-floating hub and trunion bearing knuckles (look at a Dana 60 front axle with kingpins, locate the differential in the center instead of offset, and there you have it.

3. Since the rear wheels are only able to turn 15 degrees in either direction, I feel that regular u-joints would be a better drive system in the knuckles. The angle is not enough to cause huge amounts of wheel speed variation throughout the tires' rotation due to u-joint angularity.

4. Also since the QS rear differential is based on a D60 anyways, why not just use a system like the one I described in #2?

I think that we might see some problems IF people actually used these trucks to tow large loads. I'm sure people have done it, but around here, the 3+3 (Chevy lingo)/extended cab shortbox truck has replaced the station wagon and people use their trucks as such.....not towing/hauling.

Cody

Old 02-17-2005, 02:47 PM
duallydoug
New User
I drove one... sucker worked great! Towing and non-towing. You could whip into parking spots like nobody's business! But in the end, for the extra $$$ I'll back up once to get into that same spot...

Old 02-17-2005, 06:31 PM
captchas
Originally Posted by Tim Lamkin
I have never heard of any on the QS....could be wrong...would be the first time in 10 or 20 or...hum.. cannot really remember how many years it has been.
my gm rep.said for the dealer up the highway 5 out 4 buy back how much truth i have no idea. he stated they had a problem at highway speeds being over sensitive to the wheel . again i raise ?'s

Old 02-18-2005, 02:28 AM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by captchas
again i raise ?'s
Why? It's a dead issue. QS is history.

Old 02-18-2005, 07:24 AM
hawk
Posting Guru
"If you recall, I think Honda did it first and it didn't work for them either. I think you can still get it on some lawn mowers though.
" hmmm didn't know honda was around in the early 1900's and making trucks!
NO Nash did it first in the 4wd truck back in the early 1900's

Old 02-18-2005, 08:34 AM
White Noise
Senior User
According to the link they only sold 5500. Thats nothing at all. If anything they lost money because I know it wasn't cheap to install the system on the truck. My parting words to QuadraSteer..."You lived a short life, but it was longer than expected."

Old 02-18-2005, 10:56 AM
jeb
Elder User
Originally Posted by captchas
my gm rep.said for the dealer up the highway 5 out 4 buy back how much truth i have no idea. he stated they had a problem at highway speeds being over sensitive to the wheel . again i raise ?'s
5 out of 4? So for every 4 trucks sold with QS, 5 of them were bought back? Something does not add up.

On the QS and GM forums I'm on, I've heard of exactly zero being bought back from any problems with the QS. The only problem I've heard of is a software update. The problem, which I can duplicate on my truck, is that if you start the truck and turn the wheel immediately, the QS will turn off and default to the 2 wheel steer mode. It has something to do with data running down the buses not having time to sync up. I never have the problem anymore since I've grown accustomed to giving the system an extra half second before turning the wheel. There's a fix on the 05's in the form of a software update but it's still coming for the 03/04's.

My 6.0PSD got bought back so you can bet I researched QS problems before buying after turning my Ex back into Ford. There just are no real problems with the system that I could find.

Old 02-18-2005, 12:18 PM
osbornk
Postmaster
Originally Posted by hawk
"If you recall, I think Honda did it first and it didn't work for them either. I think you can still get it on some lawn mowers though.
" hmmm didn't know honda was around in the early 1900's and making trucks!
NO Nash did it first in the 4wd truck back in the early 1900's
Excuse me, I thought we were talking about vehicles with 4 wheel steering that were made within our lifetime. Wonder how you would classify the Ukes that are used on construction sites that are simply hinged in the middle?

Old 02-18-2005, 05:46 PM
captchas
the dealer sold 5 and gm brought back 4 of them, when i asked about it he said don't buy. gm's droping it

Old 02-20-2005, 11:21 AM
low
Senior User
A friend of mine has the GMC Denali pick up with it. To me it just looks cool. At low speeds, seeing all the wheels turning. It looks custom. That's probably why he got it-for the looks. He sold a slammed dually to get it. That truck looked cool too. Also the early '90's Mitsu 3000GT VR-4 had all wheel drive and 4 wheel steering. Not to mention 320 hp. It worked pretty good.

Old 02-20-2005, 04:11 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
A lot of Japanese cars had 4 wheel steering in the late eighties early nineties, Honda Prelude, Mazda MX-6 etc.
Arguabley the best Japanese car ever still has it (Nissan Skyline GTR).
They used to use it with the rear wheels turning against the front wheels at low speeds to improve the turning circle, and at high speeds the rear wheels would turn with the front to improve stability in high speed corners, some of them even had the functionality to drive into a park almost sideways...

It is a great idea, but just two expensive, and not available with the right options (read a large gas engine, and a Diesel)