2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

damaged truck

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2005, 02:44 PM
jk3063
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
damaged truck

Got some sun up here in the N.W. so I decided to clean up my new truck. I discovered there is bodywork on the passenger side before the wheelwell. My truck was bought new and has only 4,000 miles. I took it to a local bodyshop and he confirmed there was a repair done at some point by dealor or factory. I cannot belive I never noticed it before but now I can't stop looking at it. I called the dealer and they are "looking into it"
My question is, What should I expect from the dealer? I am not trying to be a jerk but I bought a Brand New truck, not one with repairs.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Old 02-15-2005, 06:23 PM
cullenkyla
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If they did not tell you about the damage or you did not sign anything about the damage they are in a lot of trouble. I'am sure at this point they will do what it will
take to get the truck back. This is aginst the law. See what they will do If you
don't like it go see a lawyer Hey they tryed to shaft you!!!! Don't think they didn't
know about this they just tryed to slip it by you. keep us posted

Old 02-15-2005, 06:53 PM
SuperCrewDude
Senior User
jk,

I work at the plant that produces the Econoline. I will tell you that there are some vehicles that get repaired at the factory. This bodywork is likely to have been done at the plant that built it. Incidents can occur during production that warrant a repair, but anything large scale at our facility usually gets scrapped and a new body is ran. The chassis just gets pulled aside and waits for the new body.

How large is the repaired spot? Anything serious should've had the part replaced. Myself....if it was that noticeable I would not be content. If the factory couldn't repair it to factory new condition you should not have to accept it. I'm sure the dealer will want to repair it and they should free of charge to you, but by no means if it's that visible should you put up with it. You said it before you bought a NEW vehicle. I'm the way you are, a defect or blemish just jumps out at me when I'm looking at it.

Old 02-15-2005, 08:18 PM
jk3063
New User
The damage is about the size of my handabove the beltline on the bed on the passengerside. My truck is dark green so it is not easily seen unless the sun is shining (I live in Seattle!!) When looking at it from an angle you can see what looks loke bondo lines in the paint. I looked on the back of the panel and there are no signs of repair but the weld spot is bulging out where the repair is. I will try to post a pic. of this tomorrow. Also, above the taillight you can see where the paint was blended in (dimples in the paint, fading). First, a vibration issue with this and now this.

Will keep you posted, meeting the manager of the dealer tomorrow.

Old 02-15-2005, 08:38 PM
cullenkyla
Tuned
Tell them you want a truck that hasn't been damaged they should do that this truck
should'nt have any body damage. Make sure and ask them were the damage happened.
there should be a form were it shows what happen to the truck. either ford filled it out
or your dealer. By law they can not sell a new truck that has had damage it must be
sold AS USED If you like the truck I would tell them you will buy it as USED. Make
sure the truck has'nt been wrecked But if it has been repaired it must be sold as used

Old 02-15-2005, 08:41 PM
toypuller
Senior User
One of the issues I had with my F-150 was some "undisclosed" repairs prior to the sale. The driveshaft was replaced by the dealer in an attempt to cure the vibration problem. This was never told to me when I was in the process of buying it and had someone at the dealership not sent the service ticket by mistake in the mail 2 weeks later I never would have known.

I asked the State Attorney General's office about the rules for disclosure and was told that the dealer can make repairs to any part of the vehicle and still sell it as "new". There is no requirement to inform the consumer about the repair, this includes body work, mechanical problems or recall/TSB service.

I don't know what the disclosure laws are in your state, I am just relaying to you what I was told in mine. You may have additional recourse. One avenue you may want to try is claim "diminished value". It is used when a vehicle is in an accident and even though repaired the resale value is reduced.

Your most likely outcome will be to have the area re-repaired until it matches. If thats the case I'd let the dealer know how nice a slider,bedliner or upgraded stereo would help to ease the pain.

I would imediately make an appointment to show the General Manager or owner of the dealership and let them know how unhappy you are. I would also go talk to the salesman that sold you the truck. Get your name on everybodys lips. Remember the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Be polite and persistant.

Good luck, keep us up to date.

Old 02-15-2005, 08:46 PM
texan2004
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would ask for about $5000.00 and offer to keep the truck. If they say no, make them put you in a brand new one at no additional charge with a few small x-tras or one big one , like 4x4 if you have a 2wd. Somebody tried to pull a fast one. It may have been some guy at the plant but I think it is more likely it was a porter at the dealership crunched it and the dealer was trying to slip this one off on somebody. I would not be surprised to learn that the salesman who sold it to you got a little something extra for getting it off the lot. (I'm always cynical).

Old 02-15-2005, 09:20 PM
cullenkyla
Tuned
Toypuller has the word I was looking for Ford and or the Dealer has to show a full
disisclosure on any damage to a new auto and make the buyer sign it that the law
it shouldn't matter what State he lives in

Old 02-15-2005, 09:40 PM
Toreador
Elder User
Got to tell you the more I read the more P.O.ed I get at these dealers. "Looking into it" does not cut the mustard. Raise holy hell and DEMAND your rights, JK. That panel should be completely replaced.

Old 02-15-2005, 11:25 PM
blitzen25bm
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
make them give you a new one, they have to tell you repairs had been done. how long have you had the truck before you noticed? when i got mine me the salesman and 2 of the detailer did a half hour to 45 minutre walkthrough and they got every speck and smudge off it.

Old 02-16-2005, 08:13 PM
jk3063
New User
Took my truck to the dealer today, nobody want's to take responsibility for the damage but ford will repair it. Problem is, I do not want a repair, I want a truck with no body/paint repairs unless I damaged it. I paid good money for a new truck and I feel I should get it, am I asking too much? I have had my truck in the shop 4 times for vibration problems and they have replaced the drivetrain, steering assembly, new tires and have balanced the hell out of it. Now I have to settle for a resprayed truck! I have called ford and it is falling on deaf ears, they do not care. The dealer is doing as little as possiable, they are a tool !FORD is letting a long time customer (7 cars&trucks) slip away. Filing my arbitration papers tomorrow.

Old 02-16-2005, 09:26 PM
tpetty
Senior User
I would hire a lawyer and have them contact them & send a certified letter - shouldn't cost much for just this, but the threat of real legal action may get them to be more cooperative.

Old 02-16-2005, 11:19 PM
yardbird
Cargo Master
Received 473 Likes on 313 Posts
A place about the size of a penny started to peel on my wife's, err, ahh, ummm,(brand deleted), right after we got it almost 3 years ago. I went back to the dealer and they immediately agreed to fix it. I asked if I could pick my own body shop since they did not have one of their own, but used a certain shop exclusively.

At first he wasn't sure, but I stressed the quality of work, and how much sooner I could get it done. He agreed if they charged standard shop rates as his shop did.

I went straight to my shop, and got an estimate. They faxed it to the dealer, and the next day the dealer left me a message to go ahead.

The hood was resprayed and blended to the tops of the fenders. The hood and both fenders were then cleared and baked.

This was a deep red metallic, not that easy to match, but it looks perfect. I used to do paint and body work, and know what to look for. I would never know it was fixed.

I was pretty sure I would get a very good job since my son is the senior painter at this shop. But all of their work is excellent, or heads would roll.

This shop is the top rated shop in our area by insurance adjusters. If you want to know who is best, just ask an adjuster.

There are good shops out there, you just have to look for them.

If they replace the whole panel it may look worse than finding a quality shop to fix what you have.

Last edited by yardbird; 02-16-2005 at 11:23 PM.
Old 02-16-2005, 11:51 PM
mkoser
Tuned
I know in wisconsin the ONLY time an accident needs to be reported to a buyer is if the vehicle had a title branded as "Salvage, Junk, or Flood Damaged." Otherwise, anything goes. I also know that the dealer does not have to disclose what repairs they made to the vehicle.

My mom bought a brand new Ford from a dealer a while ago that wore front tires badly. We finally took it back for an alignment and the dealer said it was fixed. It kept wearing tires badly so we took it to an independant shop. He found where the entire front clip and front end had been replaced (the welds had been ground off and re-welded). I then (by way of a friend) had a VIN number search done, and found that it had been reported as damaged to an insurance company two states away. Aparently, it got hit somehow and fixed, and sent to my dealer to be sold. Called a laywer, but there was actaully nothing wrong with what the dealer did... Needless to say, never bought from him again.

MK

Old 02-17-2005, 05:47 AM
lardman
Elder User
This really stinks. I would be leary about having them replace the quarter outer. They will do the same thing that mkoser mentioned-drill out all the welds, drop the new panel on, and spray it. I am sure the fit and finish will not be high quality (not that the plants are 100% accurate, but at least they have fixtures for welding and setting). You mentioned it was back by the tail lamp...is it a 6 foot box? There is a large butyl patch just in front of the tail lamp that they are removing now because it traps water and causes rust. We discussed it on this thread: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...+f150+bed+rust. Sorry for your problems-Good luck.

Quick Reply: damaged truck