Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition/Key seems stiff, please advise

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2005, 11:44 AM
Frank Lang
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ignition/Key seems stiff, please advise

The ignition seems stiff on my 1988 Ford F150 XLT. It has been that way since I bought it used about 18 months ago. It is even stiffer when it's cold out, but even in warm temperatures, it takes a bit of effort to turn the key to start the truck, unlike any other vehicle I have owned. It doesn't seem to grind/squeak or anything, just seems very stiff. Everything works right, and the truck is in good condition. Is there any kind of lubrication/silicone, etc. that might free it up a bit, or is there likely a defective part? It has not seemed to get any worse in the past 18 months.
I am not very good at mechanical stuff, so don't want to take the steering column apart, but any other easy advice would be welcome.
Thanks,
Frank.

Old 02-15-2005, 12:38 PM
guzzler96
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

It could be a lower actuator problem in some form. The actuator may not be broken all the way in two yet or could be still lined up enough to work. Access to any of this would at least involve pulling the steering wheel so you could see and or lubricate any of these pieces. Pulling the wheel is really not that complicated and there are several post on here that detail out the whole lower actuator replacement process. I have one and I know rernst posted one a short while back. You can search by lower actuator or by ignition and probably find the info. The horn pad is held on by (2) screws that come in from the back and it takes a 15/16" socket and a wheel puller to get the wheel off. At this point the turn signal switch and other goodies would be exposed. If you decide you want to try it just post up any other questions.

guzzler96