1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Excessive Play at Front Right Axle Shaft

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 05:34 PM
vesuvius5402
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excessive Play at Front Right Axle Shaft

I have a 1981 F150 4x4 with what I believe is the Dana 44 IFS.

Last night I developed all the typical symptoms of front right wheel bearing(s) gone bad. Today before removing the wheel, hub, bearings, etc. I inspected for any outside visable damage, leaking seals, etc. During this inspection I noticed that when looking underneath where the axle enters the inner side of the steering knuckle there is a rubber seal that is on the shaft, outside of the slinger and goes through the steering knuckle to the backside of the spindle. I could see that this seal was pulled inward away from the wheel by about an inch.When I pulled the axle shaft towards the wheel the shaft between the slip shaft join and the seal all move towards the back of the spindle and the gap is closed the way it should be.

The book I have makes mention of keystone clamps and a boot in the area where the slip shaft mates to the axle however the book does not give sufficient detail in either words or diagrams for me to figure out how these clamps, boot, and slip shaft work. And besides what is on the truck in this area does not look like what is in the book.

<DIR>Does anyone have any thoughts on why my axle has this excessive play? Is this play causing the problem with the bearings or is a problem with my bearings causing the problem with the axle? This is the second time since Thanksgiving that I have had a bearing problem.

Is the problem at the join of the axle shaft and the slip shaft at the keystone clamps and boot?

What do I have to do to correct this problem?

</DIR>Any information will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mick

Old 02-15-2005, 12:14 AM
Franklin2
Received 1,743 Likes on 1,413 Posts
You may find one of your snap rings is missing or has come out. These hold everything in position.

Here's a picture.

http://www.autozone.com/images/cds/g...3d800a8af8.gif

You should have ring that looks like a small diameter piece of wire around the od of the hub that is really hard to get out. You should also have a smaller one on the end of the axle.

Old 02-15-2005, 04:40 AM
vesuvius5402
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dave,

Thanks for the photo and for the information. I found that the axle snap ring had come off. Once put back in place there was no longer play in the axle. Sometimes one is thinking so much about their problem they do not see the solution right before their eyes.

I had forgotten about that snap ring. I remember back in November when I was in there to replace the wheel bearing I also found the snap ring had come off. Any thoughts on why it keeps coming off? Is it simply that the ring has worn and needs replacing? The groove in the axle appears fine.

Again thanks for the info.

Regards,
Mick