Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

Whats your fav. ratchets?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 01:42 PM
ddrumman2004
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love my old SK 3/8" drive rachet I got with a set of sockets back in 1972. I helped a neighbor back in 1975 tear down a SS 396 engine with it. Put a pipe on the rachet and broke the head bolts loose.
Still use that rachet to this day.

Old 02-17-2005, 06:55 PM
D305
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ddrumman2004
I love my old SK 3/8" drive rachet I got with a set of sockets back in 1972. I helped a neighbor back in 1975 tear down a SS 396 engine with it. Put a pipe on the rachet and broke the head bolts loose.
Still use that rachet to this day.

I still have on of the old SK 3/8 drive ratchets. A very good ratchet.

Old 02-17-2005, 10:13 PM
Bart99GT
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by BrockwayMT
I have that professional thin profile from sears and I like it for the price (I think it came with a socket set or somethign I don't remember)

For tight spaces auto work I couldn't live without my 3/8 drive Snap-On swivel head ratchet. I paid a small fortune for it but it's a wonderful thing.
I agree...I received one of these for Christmas and it is great! It works perfectly in situations where I would have to use a universal and several extensions.

Old 02-17-2005, 10:37 PM
50stang
New User
Ratchets?

I had to chuckle as I read about Craftsman ratchets in this thread. I have had more "busted knuckles" from Craftsman ratchets breaking and letting loose when you apply some pressure to them.
I have had real good luck with the Matco ratchets I have, and was surprised not to see anyone else liking these? Maybe they are not very popular elsewhere, but I have had easier access to purchasing these then I did Snap-On or MAC.

Old 02-18-2005, 07:53 AM
MBDiagMan
Posting Guru

Yes, the MATCO ratchets are not bad. The MACs are kind of clunky IMHO. I have seen some shops where there are lots of MAC or lots of MATCO tools. I think this is due to the particular tool truck man in that area. I've heard it said that "people buy from people." It is common for all sorts of products for them to have more sales in a particular locale due to the people that are selling and servicing that particular product.

When I started buying Snap On 33 years ago, there was a really good Snap On man that came by our shop. There was hardly a box that wasn't full of Snap On tools, but there were all different brand boxes.

I've never set foot on a MATCO truck, but I see them on the road. If I were starting over and the MATCO man was the good guy that took care of everyone, I would probably now have a box full of MATCO tools. Of course, 33 years ago I had never heard of MATCO. I think they haven't been popular except for about 20 years.

Have a great day,
Doc

Old 02-18-2005, 09:16 AM
69 and 85
Elder User
For all the Craftsman posts.... I had a good ol push button that was great. I got it as a kid and used it for 20+ years. One day I used too long of a cheater bar and shelled it out from excessive torque - totally my fault. I turned it into Sear and the Sears person reached under the counter and pulled out a new style rebuilt one. Rebuilt because it was junk! It lasted for 2-3 months with very little use. When it broke and I returned it, I looked and saw they have a better one (new only) that was like my original. I asked about it and told my story - they gave me the good one. Atleast I hope it's good. Sure it's not Snapon, etc.... but so far A LOT better than the other piece of junk they gave me.

Old 02-18-2005, 12:58 PM
74crwcb429hibPS4spd
Elder User
Maybe that's it with the craftsmen. The newer less expensive craftsmen rachets are a piece of junk-- but the newer up one grade craftsmen rachets are okay?

My 30+ year old craftmen rachet worked great-- never slipped on me-- the new ones, and at least the basic one they now, offer I would not take one if they were free.

I am using a husky now with no problems-- but I prefer a handle that is a little wider/boxyer.

Old 02-18-2005, 02:22 PM
gatesj
Posting Guru
I bought several different types of the best Craftsman ratchets between '98 and '02, full polish, all with the little directional flip handle like a Snap-on. All 3/8" drive. The shorter ones have been OK but the longer ones slip pretty badly. I even exchanged them out and the new ones (yes, completely new off the shelf exchanged) are just as bad. They look nice and the way they release and hold sockets is nice but the ratchet mechanism itself is total junk.

I have only one of the cheap "bench grinder finish" Craftsman ratchets, in 1/4" standard length. Never had a problem but how hard do you really use a 1/4" drive anyway...

So much for the theory that the upscale Craftsman ratchets are good. I think I'm going to drop the money on a good Snap-On ratchet next and be done with it.

The Craftsman ratchets are not stupid expensive but they are fairly pricey for the performance that you get. I will not be buying any more unless someone can confirm that they have improved dramatically.

Last edited by gatesj; 02-18-2005 at 02:25 PM.
Old 02-18-2005, 03:43 PM
69 and 85
Elder User
Darn it.... I really miss my "old" Craftsmen. I know it wasn't high-end quality, but it was a good one!

Old 02-18-2005, 07:29 PM
hot1958
Senior User
i have and really like my 7'' long 1/4'' matco ratchet,i also have a very good 3/8''and 1/2'' matco ratchet's that l use alot.i have a 3/8'' fixed head mac ratchet that i use all the time.i have a 3/8''and 1/2'' snap-on,and 2 1/4'' snap-on ratchet's i use everyday.but some of my best ratchet;s are my matco 1/4''-3/8''-and 1/2'' special force's set's.you would not believe the job's you can use these set's for.matco is now starting there 25th. year,very good,reliable tool's.i do have and use alot of craftsman tool's,pro.wrench's are very good.

Old 02-18-2005, 09:05 PM
Hillbillydeluxe
Junior User
I use my tools to make a living with and have used about everything. Snap-on is great....if you can afford them. I love my Matcos. I have three ratchets and all my wrenches are Matco. I also use Cornwell and Blackhawk(owned by Stanley....same company that owns Mac) I dont not like the Mac ratchets at all but the Blackhawks are decent except for the bulky head. All my sockets are also Matco. I just bought a new Cornwell toolbox....love it!I also have some S&K for home use....like them too.

As far as Proto....they aren't into hand tools as much now as they used to be. They are more into specialty tools and such. I have one 1/2 long ratchet by them. I use it for heavy stuff like torque to yield headbolts and such....no probs at all.

Old 02-18-2005, 09:20 PM
SD Ford Fan
New User
I have used Snap on Ratchets for 25 years as a tractor mechanic. My favorite is an orange plastic handle sealed head 3/8 drive that I have had for over 12 years have not put a kit in it yet. Sealed headed ratchet was the best thing that Snap on has come out with yet. I have over 20 ratchets most are Snap on. I also have some Matco,Mac, S/K,and Craftsman. Snap on is the best.

Old 02-19-2005, 02:33 AM
JoeF250
Tuned
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Favorite Wrenches

I inherited a complete 1/4 3/8 and 3/4 inch set of SK's from my gandfather recently. They are all far older than I am, which is 18. What I watched him do to those ratchets often made me cringe but they still work and they are still smooth as anything I buy new. So those are my favorites.

Favorite cressant wrenches are the Diamond Tool and Steel (Out of Busines for many years) wrenchs that I also inherited. They were beaten by him since the time that my mother was a little kid. So they are over 40 years old.

I guess I just have a thing for beefy, Old, Made in the USA Tools

Old 02-19-2005, 02:41 AM
ydaveitsu
Junior User
ratchet

I think my favorite ratchet would have to be my 1/4 drive smooth handle Snap-On

Old 02-19-2005, 02:44 AM
CheapRanger
Elder User
D305 what kind of deal did they give you when your traded in the Gearless, I have the 3/8 and it never gets used.
50stang Matco and craftsman are both made by Dahaner tools. The Matco's do better due to the sealed head design. The new craftsman Thin profile use the same Oring tech that the sealed head designs (Matco, Snap~on, etc) uses.

Technically, they all would like you to use a breaker bar to brake loose every bolt then ratchet them out. I use Craftsman Pro's thin line, my specialty Snap~ons, the shops extended Matco, then down to (normally) the rough looking craftsman (when undoing something from two sides at once). At home I use my old S&K's most of the time, but I do have a couple of fine tooth craftsman's that were garage sale buys and are catalog only. They are good, a lot better then the mid grade craftsman "pro" series that uses the cheap centers but they make them look ergonomic. I will end up trying the durabuilt as I do know one mechanic who had to replace a bunch of tools (his shop down the street was broke into while he was fighting cancer) and that is about all he uses at home now.
I am always leary of new brands, I have some Lifetime warranty tools, that the companies aren't even around anymore, or easily accessible; Industructo, challeger, J.H. Williams, Easco, to name a few. My oldest (I believe) ratchet is a Husky that the center is removable and you flip the rest of the ratchet to reverse it. Been told it may be from the late 20's or early 30's. It had been in grandpa's loner box, when he was alive he had his set of tools and then the loaner tools and after a while, if you really were responsible and took care of the loaners he might let you use the good tools. I still kinda use that phillosiphy.

Quick Reply: Whats your fav. ratchets?