1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

switching to efi, I have a few questions.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2005, 08:18 PM
Mr. Finch
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
switching to efi, I have a few questions.

I have a 81 f100 duel fuel tanks, I bought a efi 302 switched it to a carb temporarily so it will work in my truck, and I may have the money soon to switch the truck to efi. I have the manifold, valve covers, timing cover and almost everything else for the engine except the coil, when I got it from the junkyard the coil was melted.

My questions are, what will I need to convert my truck to efi. I know I will need the computer, fuel pumps, and wirring harnesses, is their anything I am forgeting.

Also, will I need to replace my fuel lines or can they handle the higher pressure.

Anotherguestion, the junkyard near me does not have a truck with a efi 302, but they do have atleast 2 trucks with a efi 351, but they are only single tanks, so I can not get the selector from them. however the junkyard does have a 1990 250 with a efi 300 and with duel tanks, will the selector from it work for my needs.

Lastly, will the computer from one of the trucks with the 351 work. The only things I am wondering about with that idea is if the computer will be set up for the duel tanks or does that even matter, and will the computer make the injector timming off, and will it make it a richer or leaner mixture.

There, I think that is all of the questions for know, I am not planning on doing the switch for a while so hopefully the junkyard will get in the truck I need, but untill then does anyone have any ideas on these questions.
Thanks in advance.

Old 02-14-2005, 06:48 AM
FordTracMan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big Job.No there is no selector on a 90.
Best get a donor truck,otherwise you will be chasing parts a long time.

Old 01-23-2006, 02:10 AM
seth_85
Freshman User
A 302 and a 351 computer are the same up to like 1994. Go to the website www.fordfuelinjection.com they will tell you everything you need.

Old 01-23-2006, 05:12 PM
nighthawk285
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sorry seth, they aren't....... the computers for a 302 and a 351 will work with each other, but because of the changes in firing order and injector bank firing, a 351 will run too lean. The engine will run, but get the 351 computer, and no, it doesnt matter to the computer how many tanks you have. but yeah check that site.

im confused though FordTrac, i have a 1990 with dual tanks, and it has a tank selector, it has the 6-port one.

I just realized how old this post was, have you finished this project yet? How'd it go?

Old 01-27-2006, 12:37 AM
bubbahyde
Freshman User
Ford only uses selector switches in non efi dual tank trucks. Efi uses a dverter/resivor for efi dual tank trucks.

Seth,. you will have to pull the COMPLETE fuel system from an efi truck, perferably from 91 or newer.

My uncle and several friends have had serious peroblems with the diverter/resivor. My uncle's would pump fuel from one tank to the other and he could not stop them from leaking.

He pulled the fuel system from a 94 F-150 2 days ago. We will be installng it withing the next two days.

When i said complete, I mean just that. Efi truck use a low pressure pump in each tank and a high pressure pump between the dirviter/resivor with return lines.

You could keep your non efi tanks and use 2 fram mounted low pressure pumps and drill and install fittings for the return lines but my experience with the 2 81-86 Fords I've owend as well as with friends trucks is that the OE tnks allmost allways are rusted on the inside.

It will be a great benifit for you to purchase 2 new polyeurthaine tanks designed for efi trucks and pull pickup tubes and fuel level sending units from a juck yard. They will fit in place of yopur non efi tanks.

Also buy two low pressure in tank pumps and a new high pressure pump now. I personally would not rely on fuel pumps from a junk yard. You cannot know how long they will last and you won't have to worry about them going out in BFE and leave you stranded.

I cannot say if the oldfuel guages, or other guages for that matter, will work with the newer efi sending units and sensors.

Good luck. Hope this helps.

Old 01-27-2006, 11:12 AM
bubbahyde
Freshman User
Correction. 92-96 trucks use high pressure pumps in the tanks. The divirter/resivor swutch was only used in 86 and newer. No frame mounted pump was used.

Sorry

Last edited by bubbahyde; 01-27-2006 at 11:19 AM.
Old 01-27-2006, 02:44 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
85 to 89 fuel injected trucks use an in-tank low pressure pump and a high pressure pump on the frame, 90 and newer use an in-tank high pressure pump.