1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

check engine soon, amber light

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2005, 07:32 PM
Big-Red-Lariat
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well here's a story for you Americans...Canadian F150 goes for a cruise in the New York State Adirondack mountains today, 4-5 hours and the CHECK ENGINE SOON light comes on. Vehicle has only 18,000km on it, or about 11,000miles?
Vehicle has never seen service, but 4 or 5 oil changes.
So I pull into an automotive parts place cause all the FORD dealers are closed, and they read my codes. P0125 clsd loop fuel ctrl. Insufficient coolant temp.
There is lots of oil, tranny, and coolant fluid, and the temp guage is between one quarter and one half.......normal for the vehicle.
So what is this (almost) new truck telling me? Do i need to tie it up all day at a dealer, or can this amber light on the dash condition wait till the next oil change?
Does my Canadian truck just not like the high elevation Ardirondack Mountains maybe?
Next week i will do my Sunday driving in Canada?
;-)
Comments appreciated.

Old 02-13-2005, 08:27 PM
triton_2002
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think that part of the homeland security program. When Canadians cross the border into the US, a FBI/NSA/CIA satelite starts traking you and sends a signal to your truck and the CEL light comes on. The only solution is for you to go back to Canada.

Just kidding

DA100 DTC P0125 INDICATES EXCESSIVE TIME TO ENTER CLOSED LOOP FUEL CONTROL

Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P0125 indicates the ECT sensor has not achieved the required temperature level to enter closed loop operating conditions within a specified amount of time after starting engine. This DTC will light the MIL.

Possible causes:

Insufficient warm up time.
Leaky or stuck open thermostat.
Low coolant.
Check coolant level.

(Got this info from a post by Racerguy)

Old 02-13-2005, 08:38 PM
Krump's brother
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just went through the same exact thing with my SuperCrew. The thermostat was stuck open. I wouldn't really worry about it. I waited 10 days or so on mine.

Old 02-14-2005, 06:43 PM
Big-Red-Lariat
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well Triton2002, I never knew that ole George Dubya could see me and my F150 every time I cross the bridge to the USA...those Americans and their Homeland Security technology! Thanks for the enlightenment! (Just have to wonder why the missile defense test failed today...probably would work better tracking trucks than bombs anyway).
(good line by the way, 10 points for you!!)

Well, the temp guage went into vibration mode during warm-up today, flipping around between hot and cold, so I had it checked at the dealer...sure enough one thermostat & gasket cured it.
Thanks for the diagnosis.....seeing as I already knew what was wrong, they fixed it while I waited just before closing time instead of having to tie up the vehicle for the day.

I will keep an eye in the sky next time I truck around your country. Thanks for the tip!

;-)

BRL.