Sponsored by:

Miscellaneous stupid stuff.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2005, 06:26 PM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,995 Likes on 1,120 Posts
Miscellaneous stupid stuff.

I figured that it was time for a post that showed the true grit, if you will, of the off-road/suspension community. Not to take away from Robert's Tacoma site, but here are a few pictures of rigs and the things that make them scary.

First, like the caption says, this is from a magazine I get from 4Wheel Parts Wholesalers called "Off-Road Adventures". This mag is like J.C.Whitney or Jegs.....once you order something from them, you're stuck with a lifetime subscription. Many times there are good articles and fairly nice featured rigs, but this one caught my eye immediately. Check out the 2 inch blocks under the springs and the draglink....I guess since it's in a magazine, it's OK to do that stuff now? Cool, time to lift the Oldsmobile since anything goes.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...oid=69044&.jpg

Next up, we have this guy. He's awful proud of his fabrication skills and quite frankly, you should be too. Especially since he is as proud of his 'skillz' as he was when he graduated the 6th grade....in 13 years.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...oid=69045&.jpg

I sure am glad he didn't decide to use ugly bolts to hold on his front spring hanger....welds look a lot better.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...oid=69046&.jpg

Enjoy.

Cody

P.S. Sorry about the sarcasm and cynisism...bad day at work.

Last edited by IB Tim; 02-12-2005 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Remove img
Old 02-11-2005, 06:39 PM
project supercab
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That dude should open a fabrication shop
that truck looks awfull well built to me

Old 02-11-2005, 07:22 PM
proeliator
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Gah, now I need to stab myself in the face with a fork.

Whats wrong with welding on your front hanger though?

Old 02-11-2005, 08:19 PM
BroncoRoadKill
Posting Guru
Crap!!! I'm starting too lose hope in mankind again.
Shiny wheels tho.

Old 02-11-2005, 10:04 PM
RawPower
Postmaster
Whoa...

The first picture eluded my comprehension-until I figured out the foot long 2" tube right in the center. Im sure that drag link can take turning 90* corners up to speeds of 1. Thats 1 mph folks. I dont really have anything wrong w/ 2" blocks, especially not if you wheel lightly about 4 times a year...

Old 02-11-2005, 10:12 PM
79driver
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Someone at my high school has a 80's half ton chevy and has stacked 2x4's under all springs. (front also). When i asked him about ti being safe, he said "dont worry, i used treated lumber" scary

Old 02-11-2005, 11:43 PM
Oval_obsessed
Elder User
The superman jeep caught my eye also. That drag link is scary as heck. I wished some of these magazines would keep a closer eye on these types of things since they'll tell you not to do them one minute and then show a picture the next.

Old 02-12-2005, 08:18 AM
Saurian
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 79driver
Someone at my high school has a 80's half ton chevy and has stacked 2x4's under all springs. (front also). When i asked him about ti being safe, he said "dont worry, i used treated lumber" scary
Could have at least gone canuck and went with hockey pucks.

Old 02-12-2005, 09:34 AM
warrencowboy05
Senior User
yeah, i get that magazine too. its not too bad considering its free and i didnt even buy anything from them.

sorry if this is a stupid question...but what in god's name is that bar sticking up in the middle of the guys' axle in that first picture? ive seen it a few times before but not that often and i have no idea what its for. the only thing i could possibly think of would be to stop the axle from being pushed up too far then rubbing the tires. anyways, sorry again if its a dumb question.

adam

Old 02-12-2005, 09:44 AM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,995 Likes on 1,120 Posts
Originally Posted by warrencowboy05
yeah, i get that magazine too. its not too bad considering its free and i didnt even buy anything from them.

sorry if this is a stupid question...but what in god's name is that bar sticking up in the middle of the guys' axle in that first picture? ive seen it a few times before but not that often and i have no idea what its for. the only thing i could possibly think of would be to stop the axle from being pushed up too far then rubbing the tires. anyways, sorry again if its a dumb question.

adam
Not a dumb question at all. Sorry about the resolution of the pic...scanned. Also I had to up the brightness to show detail. The 'bar' is actually painted black, so I can see where the confusion lies.

It's the guy's attempt at lowering the angle at which the draglink (from pitman arm on steering box to tie rod) is operating in relation to the tie rod. Only problem is, it's VERY unsafe. Not only that, but it does not eliminate bumpsteer or the effective operation angle of the draglink/tie rod like this guy seems to think.

Check out Scary steering and click on the link in the lower left that says 'scary'. Watch out for the language too if you're offended by profanity. There are TONS of pictures of what not to do with steering stuff and the SUPERMAN JEEP is one of them.

Cody

Last edited by cleatus12r; 02-12-2005 at 09:47 AM.
Old 02-12-2005, 12:14 PM
Hypoid
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm a lowbuck kinda guy, but I can't believe this crap!

I guess that explains why my suspension is still stock, I'm not willing to compromise.