2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mastic patch didn't work whats next??

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2005, 10:45 AM
Bozack
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mastic patch didn't work whats next??

I've been searching by going from page to page looking for anyone that has had the "patch" done on their SuperCab back doors & it didn't work BUT went almost 40 pages & couldn't find anything. I would try the search but it keeps telling me its down so here is my ? for anyone that can help / other than my dealer :

I noticed the back doors rippling & took it to the dealer / Universal Richmond,Va. & showed them. Like everything else I'm the 1st to come in w/ this trouble. So it took 2 days before they knew what to do w/ it. I finally printed out the TSB & showed them what everyone in here has been saying about it. They were amazed. So THANKS to everyone on here because it did help some

Then since they had to fix all the mess they created w/ my wheels (not tightening lug nuts) they waited for the "mastic patch" to come in.
They sent it off to a local body shop (Bruces) because they haven't messed w/ this before & had no clue what to do.

2 more days later I go up to dealership & truck is in the bay area. I look @ doors & looks the same as when it left. Now they are really confused. We sat & the boss man called around to all the other bigger shops / dealers to see if anyone else has had 1 come in like this. Like I said since its me noone else claims they've had this problem so now we have to wait for some " Hotline tech " to make it out to this dealership to see what they'll do next.

Sorry so long

Has anyone else had to go thru this w/ their back doors?? If so some help would be nice so I can print another page from this site to help my dealership.

Again thanks to everyone on here

Old 02-11-2005, 11:21 AM
MattR
New User
Cool

There is a thread called something like "Doors denting because of factory defect". It should be a few pages back. I have been dealing with this since October and I am getting sick of the Ford Dealerships sorry paint jobs and Fords excuses. What they will do next is use Bondo to cover the dents. I didn't think that was acceptable so I have called Ford and been in contact with them for 2 weeks now and they keep telling me that the Bondo fix is the only thing the Ford engineers can and will approve. I am supposed to hear from Ford today but it looks like I will have to call them. If you have better results please let me know. I live in a small town with not many options and so far the largest Ford Dealership in the are is putting some pretty bad paint jobs on my truck. I am getting ready to take it back for the fourth time after I hear back from Ford and the paint has runs, bumps, pits, the color doesn't even match and one side was sanded but never buffed out.
If I don't make any progress with Ford today I am going to contact the State Attorney general about invoking the lemon law. I also have a letter prepared I am going to send magazines like Autoweek and see if the Editors can shed some light on the subject. I also hope that other people will be made aware and start calling Ford and the dealerships.
Sorry for the rant. I just don't think Bondo is an appropriate fix for a new truck, that and the paint jobs the are doing are horrible so I am pretty mad.

Old 02-11-2005, 08:04 PM
insynco
Junior User
I also had the waves on my 04 SCAB rear door just below the window. I took it in to the dealer and they sent it to the body shop for the mastic application. Well low and behold when I got it back the door looked incredible. It looked perfect. That was 2 weeks ago. Looking at it now it looks like the waves are just starting to come back. Slight waves.
I will not allow any bondo, so I guess I will just have to live with it unless there is another solution, that does'nt include bondo.

Old 02-12-2005, 04:58 PM
Bozack
Junior User
MattR I'm sorry to hear all that

WOW what a mess you are in all for buying a NEW vehicle. BONDO ????? That is NOT exceptable on a new vehicle & wasn't even mentioned in my 1.5hr. meeting w/ the head of service dept. @ my dealership. He mentioned new skins / but wasn't sure of any other way to fix this problem. He told me there are steps they have to go thru & the "Hotline" people travel a broad area but will be in this location soon. I should know something w/ion the next day or 2 / & if not I will be in his office the 3rd day.
I will be sure to let you know what happens w/ my ordeal BUT I can tell you bondo is not one of the things I'll agree to.

MattR why have they had to paint your doors? Have they already done a bondo job on yours? Man I am really sorry to hear how you are making out & will be sure to print this out to take for Jim.R. (my guy) to read. How about sending me the dealership you have been letting destroy your truck & maybe if I get good news they can pass it on for you..?

I will keep you up on what is happening w/ my new toy & if I were you I would put a STOP to ALL the work those guys are doing & wait to see what happens here. I "trust" Jim to make this right & hope it can help you out also. I just think if they've done that much wrong to your truck you better not let it keep going until you are OK w/ what they try. Sounds like they need to start all over w/ NEW doors.

PLEASE (if you haven't been) PLEASE PLEASE TAKE PICTURES / from all angles just incase. In my line of work documentation is the ONLY thing that has saved my backside & CAN'T hurt in your situation....

I'll let you know something by mid-week.

Mike

Old 02-12-2005, 05:56 PM
MattR
New User
Thanks Mike, I am anxious to see how they fix yours. If they do new doors it will tell me that either my dealership is trying to pull one on me or you have a dealership that cares enough to do what it takes to fix your truck.

The dealership fixed mine and never would tell me how they fixed it. They kept telling me they did some body work. I thought maybe they were able to tap the dents out since I was still able to see them somewhat. After the third time of calling I finally asked if they used Bondo because I read that someone here had their dealership tell them they used filler. The body shop told me that Bondo was the only fix Ford allowed. When I called Ford they said that was the only fix the engineers would allow, so I am anxious to see how everyone else’s body shop handles it.

Insynco, my doors looked smooth in one spot when I got my truck back the second time, but when we had some cold weather in December and January the waves came back and got worse in the other areas. At that time my doors had Bondo on them. I could tell something because the texture of the paint was different in that area and when I put a magnet up to that area it would stick, but not as good as on other areas of the truck.

Old 02-14-2005, 09:20 PM
Bozack
Junior User
From my guy to YOU

MattR I went in & talked to Jim to see if he heard from the hotline people but nothing yet. I went ahead & told him the trouble you are having & he almost feel out of his chair. He told me to tell you "DO NOT let him take it back in to them!!"

His exact words " what kind of idiots would do such a thing? It couldn't work even if thats what the next step is to be"
"I can promise you there will not be anything resembling bondo put on my doors & you will be satisfied in the end or we'll keep at it"
"Something like bondo can't work on a part like a door because after closing it a few times it would crack & drop out so NO bondo on the doors"

To tell you how blown away he was he went ahead & grabbed several other people & told them about it & they just shook their heads. I am NOT at all trying to make things worse for you / just passing on the info like I promised I would. So don't think I'm do anything other than that.

Jim did tell me to ask you for the dealership name & the service guy/gal you have been using & a phone # - address. I'm not sure why but I said I'd pass it on to you. I think he is going to wait to hear from the hotline people to go & then call to "TRY" & help you out.
So its up to you BUT after hearing what my guy said today I wouldn't let them touch your vehicle again unless its to replace the skins.

Hope this will ease your craziness some to think things will only get better from the bondo mess. I'll help anyway I can.

Insynco hope to be able to help you out also so I'll let you know what happens next.

Thanks

Old 02-14-2005, 10:17 PM
MattR
New User
Thanks for the info Mike. I hope you have better luck than I have. I do not remember whether I mentioned the flaws in the paint job when I received it the last time, but it had dozens of bumps which I assume are air bubbles, pits, runs, deep sanding scratches, the paint doesn’t even match, and one door is dull and scuffed like it was sanded but never buffed. I called Ford Friday because they told me I would hear from the Regional office in 5 business days and Friday was the fifth day. The lady I spoke with did not know why they had not contacted me yet and said they would contact me by the end of the day or on Monday. I still hadn’t heard anything by 5PM so I called Ford and they said that the Regional office made its decision last Tuesday and she didn’t know why they didn’t call. The Regional office answer to me was that what the dealership was doing was the best thing and they were to continue to do so. So they want me to take my truck back for a forth time so I can get more Bondo slapped on it. The last time I took my truck it was clean inside. When I got it back it was filthy with mud on both sides, so I am mad that my truck was probably driven by a couple of the body shop people when it didn’t need to be. When I opened the door the smell of paint almost knocked me down and when I started looking it had a lot of dust inside, I guess sanded Bondo. I think the people at the body shop are incompetent but I do not know where else to go. I bought my truck a couple of towns away at the largest Ford dealership around so I am surprised at the crappy service and paint job. I have asked about the smaller Ford dealerships and they don’t have a body shop because they have been bought out by the two larger dealers in the area. I only know of one more Ford dealership with a body shop that I am going to talk to.
The body shop info from my dealership is:
Parkway Ford Inc
2104 Peters Creek Parkway
Winston-Salem, NC
336-724-5921
Regina Tappler Body Shop Manager

Old 02-15-2005, 08:47 AM
Bozack
Junior User
MattR I am sorry to hear of everything you've been put thru /// The ? I have is why when knowing what you already know would you give your truck back to them?? I understand you want your truck back the way it should be BUT give me a few days to see what they do to mine. Then YOU will have a confirmed case & a service manager to contact for help getting yours fixed the way it SHOULD have been the 1st time.

My guy told me yesterday that there will be new skins put on my truck so we will see

Old 02-15-2005, 08:57 AM
MattR
New User
I left a message for a Lawyer that handles Lemon Law cases. He left a message to contact him. He said that after the third time it was the appropriate time for him to write a letter to Ford. So I am going to discuss it with him before I do anything. I am going to ask around and see if the other Ford dealership in the area is competent. I may see if a friend or my Dad will stop by the other dealerships body shop to discuss it with them and look at the work they do. I am also going to ask the attorney what options I have concerning a different body shop. It would be nice if the dealership would outsource it to another body shop.

Old 02-15-2005, 09:26 AM
rts9364
Senior User
I havent been to a dealership about my ripples yet. ALthough, now it is starting to go away with the warmer weather. I dont see a point to go yet until you guys find a fix! Thanks for being the guinea pigs. I still cant believe Ford would recommend BONDO, or how that solves any problem. Keep us updated!

Old 02-15-2005, 02:35 PM
DashTrash
Junior User
My SCAB is in the body shop as we speak. They told me that they will be following the TSB and using the mastik patches.

Of course, I've been talking to 2 different people there and the one always seems confused.

Old 02-15-2005, 07:06 PM
Bozack
Junior User
MattR what is this attorney going to charge you? I'd just hate to hear you had to pay someone to get your truck fixed after everything you've been thru.

For the rest of you involved hope the patch fixes yours BUT then again that is only a temperary fix. I'll keep posting what happens to me so all of you can follow it

Old 02-15-2005, 08:20 PM
MattR
New User
Mike, I do not know if I am going to go with the attorney. The law firm specializes with lemon law vehicles and they do not charge you they charge the manufacturer. They sent me some paperwork and this dumb country boy is trying to decipher all the legal jargon. I may check with some other attorneys. I do not know what happens if they do not get the manufacturer to pay up. From what I have read on the contract they put a lean on your truck and they have power of attorney over any check received by the manufacturer. I am not fond of the lean idea since do not know what will happen if we do not win or they decided the case is not winnable and end the contract. The contract basically says they are going to get paid their fee after you sign that contract. I may call them tomorrow and ask more questions, but I am definitely going to call another attorney.

I hope mentioning this doesn't add stress to anyone else, but I was on another forum looking for threads on this and I saw where there is another TSB on a patch that is on the right side behind the tail light that can have moisture get between the patch and the quarter panel and cause corrosion and the paint t oblister on the outside of the quarter panel. I neeed to go look and see if mine has this but it is just something else for me to worry about now.

Old 03-06-2005, 09:03 PM
MattR
New User
Just wondering if everyone had gotten their doors fixed. Neither the dealership or Ford would repair mine without using bondo even thought the Ford rep said they would try another fix if it didn't work after the third time I took it. I got tired of the run around with Ford and the horrible paint job and the returning dents so I took a nice loss on the truck and bought a new 2500HD. I checked with three different lawyers but it was going to cost around three thousand to sue Ford and there was no guarantee. Since Ford would not back down from the Bondo fix I didn't want to take the chance of loosing more money. it makes me mad because I really liked that truck.

Old 03-07-2005, 10:02 PM
Bozack
Junior User
MattR I'm sorry to hear that. I have not gotten mine fixed yet BUT my service manager has been on the phone w/ the people he has needed to be in touch w/. I know thing because I sit in his office across from him while he calls. This guy feels so badly for what I'm going thru he's helped me out w/ several other things for my truck that would have cost me a bunch of $$ if I paid for them. I am no longer in search of a set of running boards for it either so I can work w/ HIM as long as it takes.

Again I am sorry you got dealt w/ like you had & hope your new truck is all you want w/ no more BONDO in the future.

I haven't forgotten just waiting to post the fix. Hopfully before I get 50K miles on it / 15K now.