Sponsored by: DP Tuner

tip-map swap mod?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2005, 10:27 AM
jadel
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question tip-map swap mod?

I own a 94.5 7.3L psd 5 speed manual and i have already done the 10 k mod and the fpr mod i was wondering if someone could tell me how to do the tip-map swap mod i have a little idea what it is but would like to have it explained to me a bit better,please reply thanks.

Old 02-11-2005, 01:51 PM
444dieselrod
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I can't speak from experience because I think the hassle of running hoses, and the time involved wouldnt be worth it. But here goes.

T.I.P.--On the passenger side exhaust manifold there is a little tube coming out the front, going up near the alternator, below the alternator you can see the sensor on top of the tube with two wires on it. it senses the pressure in the exhaust side of the turbo, and also runs you EBPV.

M.A.P. on the fire wall above the passenger valve cover is Boost sensor, three wires, one small rubber tube coming off the intake running to it. sensor the manifold pressure, or "boost"

by switching these to the TIP will be sensing your boost pressure, and since it generaly takes 2 psi of drive pressure to make 1 PSI of boost, it would be getting a reading half of what it normaly "sees" and think it is only half loaded.

Then the MAP would be reading your exhaust or "drive" pressure on the turbo and like I said earlier, it take 2 to make 1, the map sensor would read like 35-40 psi. and Therereticaly make more power, but anything above 22psi and the pcm will defuel the engine so i think it is pointless to do it cuz of the defueling problem, and all the routing of hoses to connect them would be a P.I.T.A, but the lower TIP pressure's might do something. I dont think anyone has actually done it, just always been talked about. happy routing

Diesel Rod

Old 02-11-2005, 09:10 PM
jadel
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your reply and i think you are right it is probably not worth it.