Dealership diagnostics

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2005, 08:01 AM
WVF150VIANC
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dealership diagnostics

Hey, everybody. I was thinking about taking my truck to a local dealer and having them hook my truck up. I'm not getting a check engine light or anything and it is starting fine and all. I'm just sick of the hesitation and stuttering during acceleration. My question is, being no CEL, will they be able to tell me anything about the way my truck is running that I don't already know. I'm taking it in to have the front end componets checked out anyway. Is it worth the $70 or am I just ****in' into the wind?

Rich
2000 Rcab 4.2 5sp 2WD
106,000+ miles and counting

Old 02-16-2005, 09:08 PM
travlnman
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
If it will help your piece of mind,it'll be worth it,but don't expect much. Unless you have an unusually stellar service department, they will probably just say there's no problem, and then recommend a tune up at shop rates (read: expensive) to solve your problem.If you are capable of doing a tune up yourself, I would do it.

Old 02-17-2005, 08:01 AM
WVF150VIANC
Senior User
Originally Posted by travlnman
If it will help your piece of mind,it'll be worth it,but don't expect much. Unless you have an unusually stellar service department, they will probably just say there's no problem, and then recommend a tune up at shop rates (read: expensive) to solve your problem.If you are capable of doing a tune up yourself, I would do it.
It's almost like you were there! I was told that the truck was running just fine, no codes not registering, that everything was operating the way it should and that they couldn't get it to hesitate.....I guess the father-in-law is right. I'm a vehicular hypochondriac. Damn know it all FILs! It did work out for the best though because they didn't charge me for the WDS scan. Nothing wrong, no charge for that. Now, I have to figure out what is really wrong with the thing. There are too many people on here with a lot of miles saying how their trucks run just as well as when they bought it. I know mine isn't. I guess I could try plugs again. Plugs,wires, fuel filter all have been changed within the last 9 months. It just seems like if it needed a tune up that something would have shown yesterday on their scan.

Old 02-17-2005, 08:59 PM
travlnman
More Turbo
What kind of plugs and what gap are you using??

Old 02-17-2005, 11:16 PM
BlueOvalFitter
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Have you cleaned the throttle body? Do you use an aftermarket filter? If so,did you over oil it,causing oil to settle on the MAF sensor? If so,clean it with contact cleaner or brake cleaner.What brand plugs are you using? The 4.2 does not run very well if they are not factory Motorcraft.

Old 02-18-2005, 07:45 AM
WVF150VIANC
Senior User
travlnman, I use the Motorcraft/.054". I've already been through the Bosch fiasco. I tried them once for about a month and changed them back out after stumbling across a thread on here. It actually ran worse than it does now.

BOF, I cleaned the throttlebody about 8-9 months ago. At the same time I changed the plugs, wires, fuel filter, cleaned the K&N filter and reoiled. I let the filter sit after re-oiling for about a week while running a paper filter. Re-installed the K&N and waited another week and cleaned the MAF. I completely disassembled the the MAF from the air cleaner housing and soaked the sensor wires in CRC electronics cleaner for a few minutes. I then sprayed the wires again, let it dry and re-installed. It really didn't run any better then than it does now.

Maybe the father-in-law was correct. Maybe I'm expecting too much from a truck with 106,000 miles on it. Probably 70-80% of those miles have been at 75-80MPH. Maybe I've just worn it out. It doesn't burn any oil that I've seen and might use a half quart in 5000 miles, if I go that long. It just bothers me because the truck still cleans up real well, it just doesn't run as well as it used to....that being the most important part.

Last edited by WVF150VIANC; 02-18-2005 at 07:47 AM.
Old 02-20-2005, 09:08 PM
travlnman
More Turbo
Do you burn oil, knock, have water in the oil? If not, it's probably not worn out. I have 155,000 + on my 2002, and it runs fine to me. I don't burn any oil between changes, and it still pulls strong when youget on it. Probably 80% of my miles are on the interstate at 75-80 mph. I just replaced my front rotors on Saturday, and was able to put the factory pads back in(mainly because the store gave me the wrong new pads). I put every mile on it myself, so I have the luxury of knowing exactly how it was treated. Today's vehicles are a little more durable than say, 20 yrs ago. Along with modern oils that protect light years better than the old dino juice, you can get a lot more life out a vehicle than our parents could. Anywhere from 200-300k is not unusual these days. We'll figure it out, just need a little more time to think, but someone has the answer.