1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Home Powder Coating

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 04:33 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
Home Powder Coating

I got one of the Harbor Freight Powder Coaters for Christmas. Haven't really spent any time researching it yet. Any tips are welcome because I know next to nothing yet. First, I just ordered a custom "starter kit" of powder from a lady that sells regularly on ebay. Off ebay sale, she is in Utah. 30 pounds of assorted powder delivered for $150. I chose most of the colors, she threw in a few practice colors of her choice (overstock no doubt, which is fine). I told her what I wanted each color for, so the type powder should be OK (she also runs a real powder coat business)

Here are some questions I have.

1. Low buck baking options that don't take up too much room when not in use. An old electric oven is my last choice, because it won't store well. Was hopeful someone here might have a plan to build something creative. Yes it would be outside, and attended if I get creative. Not planning to burn the house down.

2. General tips/lessons learned for powder coating.

3. Any items that are not well suited for powder coat. Master cylinder body, exhaust etc? Any difference between coating the different types of metals?

'fenders knows diddly about powdercoat. No advice is too basic here guys.

Thanks

Old 02-03-2005, 04:41 PM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fenders -

I don't know Diddly either, but once I met his brother Squat.

How big are the parts you have in mind to powder coat? What is the temperature you need? 350-400?

Old 02-03-2005, 04:52 PM
ferguson777
Posting Guru
Where's that Jones character from winnipeg. As I recall, he knows a fair amount about low-buck powder coating.

Hey! Jones! Where are you?

Old 02-03-2005, 05:25 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Randy Jack
Fenders -

I don't know Diddly either, but once I met his brother Squat.

How big are the parts you have in mind to powder coat? What is the temperature you need? 350-400?
RJ

I have no plan yet, but the powder coat will be here soon. I'm working in a 24x26 garage. If I buy a $25 used electric oven, it's gonna live outside behind the shed covered with tarp when not in use. And that could work if it had too. I believe temp ranges for the different powders I bought range from 250-400 degrees. Like I said, to get a better deal I told her she could surprise me with part of kit. I know I am going to get 5 pounds of girly colors to waste that need low temp for interior use.

First projects in mind after practice session? Underhood parts, perhaps the Niolon Volare parts will get tricked out in red just for giggles. Thought I might powder coat some S/S bolts for a stock look. I think stock appearing bolts in S/S would be the Schiznit. Not for me of course. I'm entirely too cool for stock appearing stuff.

What I'd like to do is Macgyver up some sort of oven for items a bit larger than a home oven will accept. Not going to try to do a frame or anything outrageously huge. Some jobs are better left to a professional. Frame is one of those jobs.

I'd spend a little money for something that could be out of the way when not in use. I'm thinking toaster oven for stuff like alternator brackets and such.

Last edited by fatfenders; 02-03-2005 at 06:03 PM.
Old 02-03-2005, 05:26 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
DON"T DO'S
Kitchen Oven - Especiallywith a working Smoke Detector nearby, Opening the windows won't help either.
Don't forget to notify the firedepartment of your first test session.
Don't tell the police who are trying to evacuate the area to P up a rope.
Don't forget to tell Momma to clean the oven before cooking supper for her and the kids, yours will be provided by the local Fuzz.

Enjoy the expierence.

Old 02-03-2005, 05:38 PM
ferguson777
Posting Guru
'fenders,

This is meant to be a serious/sincere suggestion - Try picking up an old pizza oven somewhere (out of an old pizza shop, I mean). They don't seem to have the height of a regular oven but they would hold parts of greater length than the regular oven would...

Ah, the time I did the old wrinkle paint bake job on my 48 Ch*vy coupe heater enclosure in the 1st wife's kitchen oven....... Just one of the many reasons I'm with #2 now....

Old 02-03-2005, 05:55 PM
Goobzilla
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got the Eastwood home setup, it works pretty darn well. Got an old oven from when we remodeled the kitchen. Only done a few small parts with it so far, but it seems to work very well.

Ron

Old 02-03-2005, 06:00 PM
mr4speedford
Posting Guru
Fenders, A post from you that will be of use I'm really interested in how those bolts turn out, I would like to do some engine stainless the same way. Quick questions, We a have old counter top convection oven, I'm assuming that would be ideal for use?

Where would you guy's recommend I purchase one of these guns from? Caswell, eastwood? Thanks,-4speed

Old 02-03-2005, 06:08 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
"Fenders, A post from you that will be of use"

Thanks 4speed, that was awful kind of you to say.

I'm probably going to retire from the polished S/S BIZ soon, but I thought I might make some stock appearing S/S bed bolts first, just to say I did. I need PICs man. They are plated I presume? I need to get my hands on an NOS bolt so I get it right.

And congrats on your 15th birthday. Been waiting three years for you to finally have a birthday.

Old 02-03-2005, 06:16 PM
mr4speedford
Posting Guru
Just two more days till I can get my temps......

I can't speak for the stepsiders, but I know 57-60 used a cadmium or zinc plated as my factory color slides show a shiny head. -4speed

Last edited by mr4speedford; 02-03-2005 at 06:21 PM.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:00 PM
ferguson777
Posting Guru
Dewayne,

The young lad's gonna be getting his temp license. Won't be long before he's bragging about his first hicky!

Watchin them grow up makes ya all misty, doesn't it.

Old 02-03-2005, 07:19 PM
mark914
Senior User
powdercoating

I have the Eastwood kit. Did some stuff for my brothers race car with pretty decent results. Smaller type stuff like parachute mount, wheelie bars, 4 link bars and brackets etc etc. Thought the electric oven was a good idea, but didnt have room for it. My bro bought one of those Infared heat lights out of a body shop supply catalog for a couple hundred bucks. After some experimentation, i also found out that a household Quartz type heater gets just as hot or hotter than the expensive heat light. But the household heater doesnt heat as large an area. I put the heat very close to the part, only a couple inches away. I let it get hot enough to melt and gloss over and then go like another 20 min, and then move on to the next area of the piece. Only other tidbits i can offer is that if you dont have enough powder on the piece, it can get an 'orange peel' look to it.

Mark

Old 02-03-2005, 07:34 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
"I can't speak for the stepsiders, but I know 57-60 used a cadmium or zinc plated as my factory color slides show a shiny head. -4speed"

Am I gonna have to ask Barry and Earl about this 4speed? Cad or Zinc? What kind of answer is that? Yellow of silver? Which is it "young man".

RMF

Yes, heck yes I'm proud, 4speed is kinda like the son, that's actually older than me, that I never had.

Mark

Thanks, I have heard that too much powder can also yield orange peel. Sounds like we're dealing with fine line that requires a little experience to get right.

Old 02-03-2005, 09:48 PM
yellowducman
Freshman User
I bought a kit from columbia coatings and have not tried ti yet but did get some good ideas off there website. Not sure how big of items you want to cure but I bought a propane mr heater 3 burner and I am going to use the spare propane take I keep for my grill. I got this idea off there website from a video they have doing a bicycle frame. Not sure how it is going to work yet because I have not tried it. I'll be sure to keep you posted when I do. Latter.

Old 02-04-2005, 10:18 AM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Dewayne, for parts smaller than 12", (which I assume would be all of your initial experiments), I would get a large toaster oven. I bought one for the wife at Walmart last year. $59 on sale. (Prob be $5 at a yard sale) Inside dimensions are approx 12" x 10". This would get you by until you find something else. Note: I have never hear of an electric pizza oven. John

Quick Reply: Home Powder Coating