1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Pics of my E150 being "gutted"

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 11:17 AM
_Gadget
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fascinating. Presumably, you can't use ordinary gas and brake pedals? What form do these controls take?

Old 04-13-2005, 02:05 PM
crab453
Junior User
Originally Posted by _Gadget
Fascinating. Presumably, you can't use ordinary gas and brake pedals? What form do these controls take?
Nope, actually the OEM gas and brake pedals are still useable without any changes.

-Cory

Old 04-13-2005, 03:21 PM
Gene W
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Crab452,

If you wanted to remove the shifter and have a finished appearance afterword, you might be able to use a plain column collar from a F series truck that has a floor shifted manual transmission. A column collar from that application would give you a finished appearance.

Does your touch pad have any additional capacity to control anything else? If so, you might be able to control the OD function from it.

Gene

Old 04-13-2005, 03:40 PM
crab453
Junior User
Originally Posted by Gene W
Crab452,

If you wanted to remove the shifter and have a finished appearance afterword, you might be able to use a plain column collar from a F series truck that has a floor shifted manual transmission. A column collar from that application would give you a finished appearance.

Does your touch pad have any additional capacity to control anything else? If so, you might be able to control the OD function from it.

Gene
Hmmm...Yes, it does have a few aux functions that I believe are unused. I'll have to ask them when I go up.

Will the F-series collar fit up with the dash properly?

Old 04-13-2005, 03:46 PM
maples01
Logistics Pro
Received 94 Likes on 88 Posts
I use hand controls on the left of the steering column, do you use the same?

Hand controls have a pivot mount on the steering column mounts under the dash, a bar with a hand grip is on the pivot, rods run to the actual pedals, so the rod movement controls the pedals, but the pedals are still functional.
I'd love a floor drop, I don't need it as far as yours since I transfer into my drivers seat on the 6 way power base, I'd like the regular drop mid van so I don't keep hitting my head.

Old 04-13-2005, 03:47 PM
Gene W
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
****Will the F-series collar fit up with the dash properly?****

Don't know. Just have to take a look at an one. Probably an older model considering how old the van design is now. I would bet that you can find one that will fit.

Gene

Old 04-13-2005, 04:05 PM
crab453
Junior User
Originally Posted by maples01
I use hand controls on the left of the steering column, do you use the same?

Hand controls have a pivot mount on the steering column mounts under the dash, a bar with a hand grip is on the pivot, rods run to the actual pedals, so the rod movement controls the pedals, but the pedals are still functional.
I'd love a floor drop, I don't need it as far as yours since I transfer into my drivers seat on the 6 way power base, I'd like the regular drop mid van so I don't keep hitting my head.
Mine is actually on the right, and its not a traditional set of hand controls - its entirely electronic. I push and pull on a lever from a small box mounted on a pole beside me.

The gas and brake pedals are physically pushed/pulled by a four pole motor mounted next to them. When it spins one way, it hits the brake. The other, it hits the throttle.

Its pretty amazing.

Old 04-29-2005, 08:18 PM
crab453
Junior User
Some more photos, in case anyone is still following.

Went for my last fitting today. Positioned the ez-lock, and the gas/brake pole and box.

I will have it May 9.

Two problems that will be fixed:

1 - My HVAC does not work properly. It will not switch modes, it seems to be blowing out the front floor vents only.
2 - The washers do not work when the blinker stalk is pushed, but should. Works okay on the touchpad.

She'll need an aggressive wash and detail, it'll look good.

PHOTOS

Old 04-30-2005, 01:07 PM
crab453
Junior User
Old 07-24-2005, 10:52 AM
Fordcr
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey! did it come out as expected, how does it drive? we need the finished pictures

Old 07-24-2005, 10:20 PM
crab453
Junior User
It came out very well...I've had a few problems, though.

The touchpad went bad the first week I had it, leaving me stranded. My ignition, gear selector, etc is in that pad only. Took a week to get fixed.

The HVAC control module failed. No A/C for a week..in this recent N/E heat.

I really do owe you guys that have been following this some pics, and all I have right now are kind of a let down...I've posted what I have in my gallery...last two pics.

Tomorrow I will try for some detailed pics and some videos.

-Cory

Old 07-25-2005, 12:11 AM
azjan
Junior User
Good job. worth all the time.

Old 07-25-2005, 10:03 AM
ThatGuy Dan
Freshman User
Man, I feel really dumb right now, but I can't seem to find the pics. Maybe I'm too new to this website to understand where I go to see them. Furthermore, I wasn't able to access any of the other links listed that had the pics posted (my browser said that umbrella.xomar couldn't be found).

This thread is intriguing and I really want to see the pics. Can someone please point me to the pics? I tried clicking your name (crab) and viewing your galleries, and I also tried going to the galleries page with no luck with either.

I am an idiot.

Old 07-26-2005, 01:07 PM
IceWagon
Senior User
Dan,

You can find the posts by clicking on user name above CRAB453 and then view his gallery.

Old 07-26-2005, 04:24 PM
VikingBabe
Posting Guru
All this sounds great but my computer is not showing the pics. Are you in the gallery?

Quick Reply: Pics of my E150 being "gutted"