1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dayton Tire

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 12:30 PM
rmilchman
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dayton Tire

Has anyone heard of or tried Dayton tires. I had two dealers reccomend them saying they are the number one tire. I'm looking at either Dayton's or BF Long trails in 287/75's.

Thanks,

Rich

Old 01-31-2005, 12:33 PM
stevedinha01
Junior User
i have bfg long trails brand new off of my 05 they are in a 17"

Old 01-31-2005, 01:13 PM
rmilchman
Elder User
Originally Posted by stevedinha01
i have bfg long trails brand new off of my 05 they are in a 17"
My '02 has 16's.

Old 01-31-2005, 04:20 PM
boxcar1974
Postmaster
If I am not mistaken, dayton tires are made by firestone. I am not entirely sure though. They are made by a large brand name.

Old 01-31-2005, 07:43 PM
rmilchman
Elder User
Originally Posted by boxcar1974
If I am not mistaken, dayton tires are made by firestone. I am not entirely sure though. They are made by a large brand name.
They are made by Firestone, but I'm wondering how they compare quality wise. I'm thinking for a difference of $40 a tire there must be a difference in quality.

Old 02-01-2005, 02:09 PM
Ronin007
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by rmilchman
Has anyone heard of or tried Dayton tires. I had two dealers reccomend them saying they are the number one tire. I'm looking at either Dayton's or BF Long trails in 287/75's.

Thanks,

Rich
Number one at what? I have never seen Dayton's ranked number one on any tire or customer satisfaction poll. That is not to say that they are bad tires. I wheel with a guy that runs their Timberline MT tire and likes it a lot. Years past when I use to road race a lot of guys used them with good luck.

What kind of tire are you looking for and what will you use for would be what I would be concerned about.

Old 02-01-2005, 02:20 PM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Ronin007
Number one at what? I have never seen Dayton's ranked number one on any tire or customer satisfaction poll. That is not to say that they are bad tires. I wheel with a guy that runs their Timberline MT tire and likes it a lot. Years past when I use to road race a lot of guys used them with good luck.
Not quite correct.

Consumer Reports rated the Timberline A/T it's #1 truck A/T tire 2-3 years ago. That's why I bought a set. A very good tire at a very good price. I'd buy them again in a heartbeat. They are only "D" rated.

Say what you want about CR, but I have bought several of their recommended tires in the past and have never been disappointed.

Dayton's are cheaper because they are Bridgestone's "cost-conscience" line. (I say Bridgestone, not Firestone, because Harvey hasn't owned Firestone for a number of years.) Bridgestone can sell them cheaper because they do not advertise them very much, so marketing costs are way low. They also are sold in limited sizes, again keeping costs low.

Have you ever seen a Dayton ad on the SuperBowl?

Old 02-01-2005, 08:01 PM
rmilchman
Elder User
From what I can find all the 285/75's are D rated, for my use that's not a problem. My truck is 3 years old and has never been off road and only fully loaded twice. It's my daily driver and I tow a camper 31' 8K lbs around 10 times a year. My biggest concern is longetivy of the Dayton's VS BFG.

Old 02-02-2005, 06:05 AM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by rmilchman
My biggest concern is longetivy of the Dayton's VS BFG.
I can't say on this, I haven't worn much of mine off yet.

Old 02-02-2005, 06:10 AM
rmilchman
Elder User
I was talking to someone last night who has used Dayton's on his big trucks, he said everytime he had problems with the sidewalls cracking before the tire was actually worn out. Think I will go the with BFG.

Thanks for everyone's feedback,
Rich

Old 02-20-2005, 11:36 PM
whalerron
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just found this thread and I am recording this for anyone who searches for Dayton tires and finds this thread.

DO NOT BUY Dayton Timberline tires. Yes, they are rated #1 by Consumer Reports. This is why I bought 2 sets of these tires. One set went on my 1977 2wd F150 Standard cab (300-6 engine) and the other set went on my 1984 4x4 F350 Crewcab (351 not enough power to get out of its own way engine). In the snow and the mud, they work very well. In the rain on paved surfaces, they are lousy!! On a wet road surface, they loose almost all grip and make it seem like I am driving on ice. I have tried different tire pressures and it makes no difference. In my opinion, these are a very unsafe tire in wet pavement conditions and buying these tires puts you at risk for an accident.

When Consumer Reports tests tires in wet conditions, they drive a vehicle in a circle. They continue to increase the speed until the tire looses grip and the vehicle slides out of the circle. This is a great test if you plan on driving in circles but, this testing only tests the tire's ability to hang on laterally in wet conditions. Yes, the tire does seem to hang on fairly well when cornering. But when accelerating from a dead stop or when braking hard, the tire is going to break loose and slide. I have had quite a few harrowing experiences with these tires when I was forced to brake hard in the rain. Also it's a really annoying to be unable to accelerate when the light turns green.

I guess this just proves that you need to be careful when reading Consumer Reports ratings. The ratings are only as good as their tests and in the case of tires, their tests don't properly check for straightline grip in wet conditions.

Old 06-12-2005, 09:20 AM
eilros
New User
Originally Posted by whalerron
I just found this thread and I am recording this for anyone who searches for Dayton tires and finds this thread.

DO NOT BUY Dayton Timberline tires. Yes, they are rated #1 by Consumer Reports. In the rain on paved surfaces, they are lousy!! On a wet road surface, they loose almost all grip and make it seem like I am driving on ice.
I just got a set installed yesterday and they seemed to work great on wet pavement. While I was waiting for the tires to be installed, it started to pour. We received about 1.5 inches in 2 hours. I left Tires Plus and put on about 50 miles cruising around on very wet roads. I never had a problem.

Last edited by eilros; 06-12-2005 at 09:30 AM.
Old 06-12-2005, 10:04 AM
jokerforever
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have never ran Dayton’s truck tires but I have had them on cars several times. I have found them to be great tires that wore even and performed respectfully. But again, that was the car tires. I have ran BFGs on both cars and trucks, several different sizes and models, and I wouldn't 3 cents for 2 sets. The tires that I have ran have been terrible, on road, off road, wet and dry, loaded and unloaded. I lot of people swear by them, but in my experience they are overpriced and overrated.

Old 06-19-2005, 09:26 PM
whalerron
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Was that pavement concrete or asphalt? Here in Maryland, the bulk of the roads are asphalt and those tires are terrible on wet asphalt. Do a search on this site and you will find that I am not the only person complaining about these tires and their lack of grip on wet pavement.

Old 02-08-2006, 03:21 PM
gjohnst3
Freshman User
I have a set of Dayton Timberline M/T (265/75R16) tires installed on my 2003 Ranger 4x4 and I love these tires. At $133/tire I don't know if I could have done any better. Wet roads - it's a truck, light in the rear... it's gonna slip if don't know how to work that right pedal. Dry roads... just fine. Where they shine - mud and snow; haven't found anything yet that they haven't gotten me through.

I might have worded your warning a little more carefully. Instead of "DON'T BUY THESE TIRES!!", I might have just offered the information and let an informed consumer incorporate that information into the whole picture. If it's raining and you have a truck, don't drive like an idiot and you'll be just fine... regardless of the tires. Just my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: Dayton Tire