1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

James Duff Power Chips

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 11:57 AM
dixieKYrebel
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
James Duff Power Chips

i've got an '88 Ranger 4x4, 2.9L v6 man. trans. Anyone put one of these chips in their 2.9???? if so, how much of a difference did it make in performance?

Old 01-31-2005, 01:24 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
...Welcome to Ford Truck Enthusiasts! If you have a minute check out the Guidelines, it will help you to navigate through and understand FTE. Stick around someone will be by shortly to answer your question.
We are pleased you have chosen the best source for Fords!

Enjoy FTE …..See you on the boards.

Old 01-31-2005, 03:39 PM
AG4.0
Posting Guru
Don't know about the James Duff Chip. I can tell you about the Diablo Chip. It makes a nice power difference at the cost of having to use premium gasoline. Some chips will claim to make power gains without using premium, but they will be very minimal. Motorhaven.com is the main sponser of this site. They sell the Diablo chips there. You can check them out by clicking on "Parts Shop" at the top right corner of your screen. About $210 gets you a chip that you can turn on and off via an in-cab switch. REad the FAQ's there to answer many questions you might have.
If you have questions about chips, there is a Forum here specifically about Computer Chips and Tuners, go check it out. Lots of good threads. Most of your questons can be answered there by just doing a quick search, but feel free to fire out any questions you might have. Webmaster (Ken) checks the threads there regularly. He is the one who actually programs the chips ordered off of Motorhaven, so you can be sure that what he posts is fact.
As far as my chip in my 93 Ranger 4.0 5-psd man. I've gained 1-2 MPG which helps to offset the higher price of premium gas, I've noticed a nice power increase. Don't expect it to be like a super charger, but enough to give some extra confidence when passing or pulling a long or steep grade. Well worth the money spent.

Old 02-01-2005, 07:57 PM
dixieKYrebel
New User
thanks alot!

Old 02-01-2005, 09:48 PM
Peter94
Postmaster
Yeah, ditto everything AG4.0 said. I have one for my 4.0 with auto tranny, and what a difference. You have to use premium, but it is well worth it in my opinion. It also increases power throughout the powerband, not just at wide open throttle like other chips. I highly recommend it. I'd do it again if i could.

Old 02-02-2005, 01:45 PM
AG4.0
Posting Guru
Also, I might add that with a manual tranny, the extra power really helps the drivability. Especially noticeable when stopped at a light going up hill. Also, if you do go the chip route, find out what octane is available in your area and be sure to let motorhaven know so they can tune it accordingly. If you don't specify I think that it gets tuned for 91 Octane, but if you have 93 octane in your area, you can get it tuned hotter and will get a bit more power out of it.