1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

overdrive flashes "off"

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2005, 05:50 PM
risky97psd
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks guys i reset by disconnecting batt. i drove it easy for a bit, then hard (hard accelerations, brake torque,highway speeds) for a bit. all seemed fine no flashing light, shifts fine just like it used to..so now im totally confused... do i get the rebuild or wait and see and cross my fingers? bones...did u do a reset to clear the codes and make the light go off?

Old 02-14-2005, 08:28 PM
bonesdungeon
New User
yes I reset several times ,hoping it was a vss sensor,turns out it was a shift silinoid , if it acts up again have a tranny shop look at it.

Old 02-14-2005, 09:08 PM
fosterlohr
New User
Gave this same answer for a flashing ABS light. The OD light started to flash first then the ABS light. The solution for both was a new speed sensor on the rear axle.

Old 02-16-2005, 06:44 PM
risky97psd
New User
hi guys after resetting the OD light all seems ok so far. seems that ive dodged the bullet on the rebuild for now. im planning on changing the trans fluid and filter. first question is do u guys blow out the cooler lines? what about the fluid in the convertor? while ive got the pan down im thinking about the sonnnax valve. i read some on this awhile back but cant remember too much about it. what are the advantages of it? what about disadvantages? i onece saw a pretty detailed thread on the install of the kit. does anyone know where i can get that thread? thanks guys youve been very helpful..

Old 02-17-2005, 11:45 AM
Casey
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Click HERE for a good article on how to change all of the fluid.

Old 03-03-2005, 04:12 PM
ribbons8489
5th Wheeling
I am having the same problem with my OD light flashing and of course they say it needs a new transmission to the tune of $1800. Mine runs great when cold but then the light will start blinking once it is warm and it will start having problems shifting immediately after the light comes on. I think it is a sensor myself but could be wrong. I found that place in Phoenix that you were talking about and it is a good deal for $975 where a used one from a junk yard runs around $700-$800 here in oregon. If anyone knows of any good deals let me know. Thanks

Old 03-03-2005, 10:58 PM
slaymdr
Freshman User
Here is a good story. My trans did the same thing, flashing OD light and hard shifts. Took it to the shop and they said I needed a new transmission ($2400.00). A couple of weeks after I installed the new transmission the very same thing happened again. Took it back to the same shop and guess what it was.................................they cleared the codes and everything worked fine. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...Makes you wonder if I really needed a new transmission...Oh well the thing that ****ed me off the most was I didn't even get a kiss after...well I think you know what I mean.

GET A SECOND OPINION ON TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS.

Old 03-03-2005, 11:36 PM
444dieselrod
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
95% of the time it is just a VSS. Have delt with three already. Like stated earlier get a second opnion, NOT FROM A DEALER!!! then go to checker, napa, ford, whoever you want and get a new vehicle speed sensor, there only $30 you can change it yourself in the driveway in 20 minutes, and then go get the codes checked and cleared. if it fixes the problem then you are most likely good to go.

everyone is out to make a buck and do you realy think someone who is barely able to make a living is going to tell you that it is only a VSS and that you can change it yourself and risk losing all that $$$$ in there pocket. of courese not. people make me sick the way thay can rip some people off and not care.

Diesel Rod

Old 03-04-2005, 03:33 AM
ribbons8489
5th Wheeling
I bought the VSS sensor today and will be putting it in tomorrow and then will only go to a ford dealership from now on to have my codes checked (not to do the work that is for sure). I didn't know that the guy I took my bronco to couldn't even look up the ford codes so he was just guessing it needed a new tranny. I figured out that if I turn off the overdrive it would stop doing the crap with the transmission so it can't be my transmission it is something to do with the sensors or electrical. Found out tonight my brothers new 2004 ford gave him the same problem and it was a faulty fuse under the hood so it doesn't necessarily mean it is a transmission when it flashes.

Old 03-04-2005, 03:41 AM
missouguy
Elder User
Originally Posted by Casey
Click HERE for a good article on how to change all of the fluid.
These are real good instructions. I did it this way and it was a messy piece of cake.

Go for it.

Frank

Old 03-25-2005, 04:30 PM
coreyb
New User
Ok..my 96 psd has been having some issues!!! So yesterday going down the road it just DIES...I pull over and crank it back up and it continues this untill I make it home (bout 30 miles). I search on here and deduce that it probably is the CPS. Bought one today from Navistar(I.H.) for $97 (ford wanted $186). My other issues were flashing O/D lght which I suspected was the VSS but didnt help. Now I am gonna tackle the oil leak which I think is the HPOP (I replaced the 2 o-rings on the pressure lines but not the 3rd one)
What I need to know is : Is the oil pump sprocket bolt and washer all that holds the HPOP to the reservoir???
I am sur I will have more questions as I get into this..Thanks for any help

Old 03-26-2005, 10:03 AM
ribbons8489
5th Wheeling
what is the cps another stinking sensor or ??? I haven't put the new vss sensor on the rear differential yet and the codes from ford came out that my plantery gear is falling apart. That was $125 to find that out. I am still going to change out the vss. I also found there are wheel sensors in the front wheels on my bronco that can be bad. The joys of vehicles sometimes. I sure like my 1976 since it is reliable and doesn't let me down. My 1996 is a pain in the rear.

Old 03-26-2005, 11:00 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Ribbons8489...Welcome to Ford Truck Enthusiasts! Please read the Guidelines, it will help you to navigate through and understand this site.

We are happy you have chosen the best source for Fords!

Enjoy FTE....and
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
…..See you on the boards.

Old 03-26-2005, 05:57 PM
444dieselrod
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ribbons8489
what is the cps another stinking sensor or ??? I haven't put the new vss sensor on the rear differential yet and the codes from ford came out that my plantery gear is falling apart. That was $125 to find that out. I am still going to change out the vss. I also found there are wheel sensors in the front wheels on my bronco that can be bad. The joys of vehicles sometimes. I sure like my 1976 since it is reliable and doesn't let me down. My 1996 is a pain in the rear.

The CPS is the Cam Position sensor. tell the PCM how fast the engine is revving, and also the tach in the dash. probably THE most important sensor on the vehicle. If it goes bad, truck wont run.

The wheel sensors on the bronco were prolly for ABS.

How can a scan tool tell you that your planetarys are falling apart??? planetarys dont fall apart, the can wear and cause slop in the drive train, or they break, and leave you strainded. get a second opinion.

Diesel Rod

Old 04-01-2005, 10:50 AM
ribbons8489
5th Wheeling
I was trying to find the VSS sensor and realized it was on the back differential and have replaced that one. I was told the other day that there is another sensor on top of the transmission and the only way to get to it is to take out the seat and take up the carpet, then you will find a metal cut out plate to take off and there is a sensor under there that is another vss sensor. I haven't attempted this yet as I am still trying to figure out if I have fixed the problem with the o/d light flashing. I just can't believe the planetary gear is falling apart when the vehicle runs perfect when you turn off the overdrive but if you leave it on it has that jumping and horrible knocking. I would think if the planetary gear is bad like they say it would be bad wether the o/d was on or off. Does that make sense or is Ford right and the planetary gear could be bad but only affects when it goes into overdrive? I bought this other sensor that goes on top of the transmission but haven't taken out the seat yet to find this access panel under it. This is a 1996 full size bronco 4X4 does anyone know anything about this supposed access panel? I know there are wires running across the top of the transmission but there is not enough room to really see what is up there like a sensor. A guy at Napa insists this is a sensor and causes this type of problem.

Quick Reply: overdrive flashes "off"