Clifford EFI header

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 01:26 PM
KAS300
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clifford EFI header

Anybody got one bolted up? Hows it fit? Performance?

Also, anybody using one of their cams in an EFI 4.9??

Thanks for any info.

Old 02-18-2005, 01:52 PM
johnsonswamp
Senior User
i'll be bolting my efi headers from them up this weekend and i'll let you know.

Old 02-18-2005, 10:38 PM
Red77F100
Senior User
I've got some on the way for my 77 300. Also a Clifford four barrel intake. I've already bought a Holley 390. I didn't get the cam. I figured I'd go for the easy stuff for an immediate power boost. If I ever break anything in there, I'll change the cam while I'm at it! Can't wait to hear it, tho!

Old 02-19-2005, 01:19 AM
optikal illushun
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
quick POV. cliffy efi headers, if they are the short tubes, are not worth it. long tubes make power.

Old 02-24-2005, 05:20 PM
johnsonswamp
Senior User
well i've spent today putting my clifford efi headers on and i'll say as far as fitmint and product quality.. BIG WASTE OF MONEY but i have not had a chance to run them yet for a power test...

Old 02-24-2005, 06:07 PM
Red77F100
Senior User
Oh, boy. Don't tell me THAT! What's the problem with them? I'm waiting for a header from Clifford for my 300! Did the not fit right? Are there flaws??? TELL ME!!!!

Old 02-24-2005, 06:28 PM
johnsonswamp
Senior User
the EGR? tube doesn't fit, you have to build a new tube and make it fit, the alternator bracket IN NO WAY FITS you have to "trim" ONLY about an inch off of it or so the tech guy tells me... the welds look like they were done by a 10 year old, the bracket "cut-out" where it bolts up is a very very poorly done job, one of the header "tubes" is two pipes welded together, and the tubes are just BARELY tack welded to the mounting bracket..
I mean all this may not be a big deal for some but after paying well over $300 (with shipping) I expect a quality part that fits without you having to MAKE it fit..
Honestly I wish I would have left my stock EFI manifolds on and saved my money for better parts, and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.
All this may just be my bad luck, but I won't be shoping for their items again.

Old 02-24-2005, 08:58 PM
cjsteak
Senior User
I had a set of 3x1/3x1 headers on my ol' 82 F100... they were the biggest pieces of crap i'd ever seen.

They were tack welded to the flange at the cylinder head side with as little as ONE tack covering about a quarter the diameter of the hole. I had to take them to a shop to finish up the welding on them! $$$

I had to port the hell outta them to match the ports in the head.

They were a PITA to install because you had to JUGGLE both headers WITH the intake while getting everything to line up and bolted!!!

You have to disassemble the starter... put it in it's tight little cubby hole piece by piece and reassemble it once all the pieces are in their 'hole' next to the bell housing.

The flange thickness was WAY off from the Offy C Series intake I installed on it. So the washers were crooked... AMAZINGLY it sealed and didn't leak.

The collector flanges were WAY too thin and I could never keep gaskets in them. Even copper gaskets got messed up with them and they'd start to leak.

Sorry guys, but BIG thumbs down for Clifford. I'll admit that they're stuff looks cool on the website though...

I do commend them on atleast sparking interest in new inliners with pretty pictures and getting them thinking about souping up these old sixers... just hopefully not with their parts! lol

Old 02-24-2005, 09:14 PM
optikal illushun
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
dam dood, glad i WONT be buying them!

Old 02-25-2005, 07:27 AM
Red77F100
Senior User
Ok, with all that said, where else can you get a GOOD header for a 300-6? Mine's a 77, and I intend to put they Holley 390 on it.

Old 02-25-2005, 11:07 AM
johnsonswamp
Senior User
i'd just use EFI manifolds, they are alot better than the carb one

Old 02-25-2005, 12:14 PM
Red77F100
Senior User
Question

Ok, I'm a dope. What do you guys mean when you say "EFI" when talking about headers and manifolds?? I'm getting lost and wondering if we're all talking about the same thing.

The flange thickness was WAY off from the Offy C Series intake I installed on it. So the washers were crooked... AMAZINGLY it sealed and didn't leak.
I wonder if that problem was due to using an Offenhauser intake with the Clifford header. Clifford says their intake won't work with a stock manifold, and they recommend using their header / intake combo....presumably to eliminate the flange thickness problem.

You have to disassemble the starter... put it in it's tight little cubby hole piece by piece and reassemble it once all the pieces are in their 'hole' next to the bell housing.
Is this on a 300 I-6 ??? I've got so much room under my hood, I can't imagine how the header would be in the way of the starter on that motor.

I'm not questioning that anyone had trouble with this stuff, I just want to make sure I have the facts straight before I give Clifford my $600 for their intake and header.

Old 02-25-2005, 12:46 PM
cjsteak
Senior User
The flange thickness is just a typical Clifford Gimmick... they just want you to by there stuff so they build it knowing that it won't be easily compatible with other brands of intakes. You can still make other stuff work though, I did.

The carbureted exhaust manifold was just a long straight tube parallel to the head that was perfectly straight across and had one 'exit' (collector?)hole on the bottom of it. It probably has the worst flow characteristics of any exhaust manifold i've ever seen.

The EFI manifold actually looks like a real shorty header, almost like a block hugger. The flanges are nice and thick, they rarely leak and are in my opinion way better for truck that isn't going to the track every weekend. You probably won't see a difference between EFI headers and the cliffords unless you're using a really top end cam, have huge valves in the motor etc etc... On top of all those good things, they're CHEAP in comparison and any junkyard should have 'em just laying around. You can still port match 'em and polish 'em up if you're really that concerned about performance.

The starter... the way my Cliffords were designed, you had the first set of tubes running UNDER the starter, they stopped almost even with the bellhousing, maybe a little bit after... The second set of tubes (4,5&6 cylinders) were above the starter and over towards the frame. The 300 does have alot of room around it under the hood like you stated, but when you put 6 primary tubes into large collectors right under, above and to the side of the starter... you're going to run out of room REAL fast. You might want to see if a gear reduction starter from a later model truck would fit into your bellhousing. If it did you wouldn't have to worry about clearance. The starter in my '82 F100 was normal size, but the one in my '95 F150 is pretty small and really nice.
Good luck!

Old 02-25-2005, 01:07 PM
johnsonswamp
Senior User
Originally Posted by Red77F100
Ok, I'm a dope. What do you guys mean when you say "EFI" when talking about headers and manifolds?? I'm getting lost and wondering if we're all talking about the same thing.
EFI means an Electronic Fuel Injected engine

Old 02-25-2005, 01:18 PM
Red77F100
Senior User
Thx. So, again, I'll make sure I've got this right. The EFI manifolds that you guys refer to are actually a stock manifold, but from a fuel injected motor? Will an EFI exhaust work with a carburated intake?

Sorry if I'm starting to sound like a bonehead, but I wanna get this right.

Also, I've heard of Clifford and Offenhauser making carb'd intakes for the 300, and of those two, only Clifford appears to make a header. Are there any other manufacturers of aftermarket headers for this motor? Hedman's website says they make a header for the pre-79 300, but so far, I can't find a vendor that has it, or shows a price.

Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: Clifford EFI header