Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

Engine Hoist Piston Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 01:48 PM
big_i80
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Hoist Piston Issue

Ok
I have a 3-ton engine hoist that goes up about 1/2 way and then stops, it won't go any farther. It is an older used one. Could it be low on fluid? This is what I know. 3-ton ram, there is a rubber plug on the upper wall of the cylinder, has a hole for air to move in and out. The pump is the simple hydraulic jack type with a bar going up and down. The relief valve is also located there. I took the relief valve out and there is hydraulic fluid in there (I know cause it squirted me in the face) lol. Do I add more fluid in that relief hole, if so how much? or is there something else I am unaware of?

Old 01-26-2005, 03:37 PM
sierraben
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That hole where the rubber plug goes sounds like it's the fill hole for hydraulic fluid. If it is, I think you have to stand the cylinder upright and fill it up to the bottom of the hole. Put the plug back in, then bleed it by opening the relief valve and pumping the lever several times until the all of the air is gone. I'm pretty sure that's how it's done; at least on my hydraulic jacks. Good luck.

Old 01-26-2005, 03:45 PM
Gregg C.
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Make sure the piston is all the way in when you fill it.

Old 01-26-2005, 04:28 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
yes make sure the ram is all the way in and the bleed screw is open a little add fluid replace the plug and pump the handle 10 times opening up the bleed screw until fluid comes out then tighten and enjoy