Anyone here tow for a living?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 09:39 PM
huntercgr
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone here tow for a living?

I was wondering if anyone can list the pros and cons of delivering trailers part time or full? I've been pondering this a bit and would to like to research this out a bit. Looking for numbers if possible, actual costs, working for a company or on your own, etc. TIA

Old 01-25-2005, 06:31 AM
karljay
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are you talking about tractors / BIG rigs? Or towing using something the size of say an F550?

I have been in the business and have some insite, but not with the huge trucks. Let me know...

Old 01-25-2005, 07:34 AM
blackf3504dr
Elder User
If you are talking of delivering RV trailers and such , depending on who you talk to it can be a very hard way to make a buck or like being on paid vacation ! As far as part time , if you mean in addition to a day job ... probably not , but with some companies you can get by with taking fewer loads and spend more time at home but you will not make much money that way either . If you go full time expect to spend any where from 3 days to a month on the road . Costs very from truck to truck and person to person with fuel being your biggest expense and depending if you have to "motel it" . Also meals can add up $$$ fast , as can break downs . Most companies like to hire owner/operators to keep thier cost down and pay around $1.00 per mile + or - a few cents . Most require a '99 or newer diesel truck and prefer dualies but will put on a 3/4 ton . Both you and the truck must meet DOT requirments . I looked into doing this after I retired ( 30 years driving/owning big trucks ) but decided to buy real estate instead and stay home for awhile ! Check out Horrizon Trasnport . com ( the country's biggest RV transporter or do a Google search " RV transport" and you will find lots of info . If you do get as far as talking to a recruter , don't beleive all that he/she tells you ..... Talk with some drivers and see what they have to say .

Old 01-25-2005, 01:24 PM
pig*iron
New User
Originally Posted by karljay
Are you talking about tractors / BIG rigs? Or towing using something the size of say an F550?

I have been in the business and have some insite, but not with the huge trucks. Let me know...
Karjay, my wife and I are also looking at getting into hauling the RV/horse trailer for hire. We are/will be retired and want to do it full time for awhile. Any information or your throughts on the idea would be appreciated. You can contact me off forum if needed. Thanks again Tony

Old 01-25-2005, 09:46 PM
huntercgr
Posting Guru
As in with a F350. Just trailers and f'vers.

Old 01-26-2005, 12:54 AM
karljay
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
One of my current prujects is a truck I bought for real cheap. It needed an engine and the Prev Owner just gave up on it.

It's a FULLY loaded 88 F350 XLT lariat super cab duelly. It had the 5th wheel hitch in the bed along with a 105gal fuel transfer pump.

I'm in the process of converting it to a wheel lift repo type tow truck.

I checked prices and these truck aren't cheap. I also found out that the F350 with it's 10000# GVWR is kind of a 'baby' truck as far as towing goes. Most go for the 14500# of the F450 and those are hard to find in good condition and fair price.

I searched long and hard for the right truck and can say the even the 'newer' ones have problems when used in a business environment. I've worked for a few companies that bought 99/01/02 trucks and they ALL had tranny problems and front end problems all requiring big $$$$ to fix.

They paid from 30~50K for used trucks that had between 60 and 120K miles and had several small problems and at least 1 large problem with them.

New trucks were in the 50K+ range and that's more than I wanted to chew on.

I'll be into mine about $8K after new engine, new paint, new lift, new tranny, new tires etc... That's with me installing engine, doing paint, etc...

I'd expect to find a good usable truck to be in the $20K range and it's something that must be FULLY checked out before buying. New EBay 'as is' cross country deals here.

Insurance is another issure all together, I got bids in the $5K / year range and fuel costs per month will be in the 1~2K range.

So base costs would be:
Truck Payment: none with mine, 600~800+ for new
Fuel: 1,500 / month
Ins: 400 / month

This might be on the low side

Then you've got to equip the truck, GPS mapping sytem, tracking software, credit card machines, tools, lights, etc...

One way to save some money is to install a PC in the truck, you can get maps for cheap and even intergrated GPS. (plus you can play music on them)

getting customers is one area of great concern for me. I have a partner that wanted to buy a new truck and start with that. I wouldn't do that because I wanted to be without a truck payment during the first year so as to build things up as see how it goes.

Customers are funny things, they want all the work and no pay. Everyone wants a bargain and I've worked for a company where we had customers never pay. Some have you do the work, when you ask for payment... "...all I have is $20 man..." This is AFTER you do the work and you spend $50 on fuel alone!

You have to know how to work with people, I would always ask about payment before I do anything. Sometimes threats to take the trailer, car... is the only way.

Advertising in the yellow pages is tricky, I have another business from back in the 80's and ran an add the didn't even cover it's cost for half the time it ran.

I planing on going out to the source and giving out cards, professional pamplets, etc... to get things started.

If you hauling 5th wheel, I'd look at the web, rec spots, parks, etc...

Best thing to do, is to go work for some company already in the business. I did. I now have copies of invoices, insurance requirements, laws... knowledge of tools, processes, contacts, etc...

Just go there and get a part time job for any pay level.

My opinion: The truck is a tool, others have new Mac tools in their box, mine are older Craftsman. BUT, my tools work, I get the job done every / nearly every time and paid a LOT less. The guy you just charged $200 for a tow, isn't gonna care if your truck is a bit older, doesn't have the newest this and that. He cares that the job got done, YOU POCKET the difference because of a good working truck that paid off!