90 F250 start probs.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2005, 11:20 PM
rangershloman
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
90 F250 start probs.

Ok, my 90 f250 wont start, all started by changing the batt. When I reconnected the neg wire, sparking happened???? I thought, maybe this is due to my fuel pump not shutting off ever. Well I did it a few times and a puff of smoke came from the start solenoid. Truck wouldnt even crank now. Put new start solenoid in and found a wire connected to the solenoid that was fried I guess in the casing/wire cover, original I might add. I spliced it all back together and it started to spark again when I put on neg batt connection. I took this wire out of the equation and hooked all the start solenoid wires back up, put on neg batt connection and no spark now. At least I know this is the prob...I think. My truck still wont turn or click or anything. Lights and crap turn on, no plow power though. This wire is a constant draw I guess but dont know what it is going to. It is an original wire, dark green, going from my starter solenoid on the fenderwall into a big bunch of wireing in loom. this wire also has a fuse looking thingy that oulls apart but isnt a fuse??????? Anyone know what this could be????? Im lost at least a grand these 2 days with the snow. Have no Idea, any help is awesome. Bull.

Old 01-24-2005, 05:53 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,701 Likes on 1,375 Posts
I can't find the proper diagram for your truck, but this wire sounds like the one that feeds the whole truck's electrical system. If the things in the wire look like little rectangle pieces of rubber, then these are fusible links, which are supposed to burn out like fuses if there is a problem.

It looks like you have a dead short to something metal on the truck. The problem is going to be finding it. I would think back to anything that has been done recently. I would disconnect the plow and see if it goes away. I would check under the dash and look at the wiring. Whatever the problem is, it's obviously not connect through a fuse, or the fuse would have blown. Anything else in the truck that may have been added that is hotwired, I would disconnect to try to narrow the problem down, like a salt spreader or something.