Virginia Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:
View Poll Results: What do you think about red light cameras?
Anything to stop red light runners from hurting other people
50.00%
Waste of money
50.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Red Light Cameras

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2004, 01:57 AM
fordguy21
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red Light Cameras

The red light camera have been up some time now in Va. Beach and I was wondering if anybody here had received a ticket in the mail yet?

What do you think about red light cameras?

Old 11-21-2004, 07:31 AM
Rory Goggin
Senior User
I think they will, if anything, cause more accidents as people who've never stopped for a yellow before slam on their brakes and the tailgater behind them acquires a new hood ornament. The camera's can't use judgment to determine WHY a person might have failed to stop at the last minute - for instance that Mack-Truck tailgating them. No technology can replace human judgment when it is called for - and law enforcement calls for judgment.

Old 11-23-2004, 06:23 PM
stu37d
Government Teat-sucker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been wondering about those things. When do they actually take the picture? I have been known to misjudge the length of a yellow light, and would hate to be penalized for an honest mistake. The other thing I do is when I am making a left turn on a green (instead of the green arrow), I get my vehicle out into the middle of the intersection so that I can make the turn even if the light turns red on me. I have heard that this is illegal, but, I swear we were taught to do this in drivers ed (22 years ago, in Florida)! So, the question is, does the camera take a picture of the car that is already in the intersection when the light changes, or only of the cars that enter the intersection?

Old 11-23-2004, 07:08 PM
Franken-Truck
Postmaster
Is it actually a camera or a video camera? It would make sense for them to record the redlights, so a real person could make a judgement call as to justifying running the red light. I have run a few redlights (yes it counts if the light turns red and your in the intersection), just becuase in the rain I can't stop fast enough to prevent skidding into the intersection. I would put my money on closed circuit tv or stop motion type video.

Old 11-29-2004, 01:06 AM
fordguy21
Senior User
Well, so far its split 50/50, could not be any closer then that.

Old 11-29-2004, 07:32 PM
Tomcat7742
Posting Guru
I've talked to a lot of local residents who have said that they are much more cautious drivers now that they know the cameras are there. Maybe just the threat of them is changing some drivers

- Chris

Old 12-11-2004, 08:16 AM
rangerxlt92
New User
So how do the things work? Last night I was turning left onto Independence from Virginia Beach Blvd and the light was green when I started the turn, but yellow half way through and it snapped a picture, then it snapped another (I assume at the guy speeding like a **** beside me, he ran it). If I get a damn ticker I'm fighting it...it's a four (five?) lane road I was turning across it takes some time ya know?

Old 12-12-2004, 01:12 AM
fordguy21
Senior User
From what I understand is that it uses a video camera system as well as a camera, which is triggered when the light is red and somebody crosses the white line it signals the camera to take pictures.

P.S. I see the poll ened with a 50/50 split

Old 12-17-2004, 02:11 PM
MonsterBroncoKid
Senior User
they have a ton of red light cameras in d.c., but flash as they may i never seem to get a ticket from any of em.? i think they may just be flashing as a deterent at this point

Old 12-19-2004, 08:30 PM
ijuslikefords
Senior User
I was told from a state boy that it is legal to finish a left turn though an intersection under red if you started the turn before the red.
Also, you must be on the other side of the intersection before the light changes red or you can still get a ticket.

Old 12-19-2004, 08:43 PM
75Player
Senior User
I'm amazed we haven't heard about accidents caused by them yet. I can't count how many people I've seen slam on their brakes in the middle of the intersection of Kempsville and Indian River when that camera starts flashing. How the people behind them didn't wind up in their back seat is beyond me.

Old 12-20-2004, 04:01 PM
rangerxlt92
New User
I haven't gotten a ticket in the mail yet and it's a bit over a week, I think I'm good. As long as the thing doesn't ticket me for starting a turn in green and ending in yellow/red I'm fine with it. Yeah, the Kemps/Indian River one is a nice one isn't it? Oh well, we all just need to adjust to driving with the things, it'll get better...hopefully.

Old 12-22-2004, 08:36 PM
stu37d
Government Teat-sucker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hate that light! Why does it only let about three or four cars thru on the arrow? And they expect nobody to run it? Crazy! I've seen cars run through the red light seconds (like 2 or 3) after the thing turns red.

How 'bout the ones where there is no turn signal, just the good graces of the people in the opposite lane? I made the mistake of letting a lady pass in front of me, making a left hand turn during rush hour. I was in the left lane, she was turn left from the opposite direction. She was unable to see over the hood of my truck and when she tried to cross the right lane... BAM! I don't let people do that any more. Let them go up the road and make a safe U-turn kike the rest of us. Funny thing about U-turns in VA Beach, though. They are illegal in alot of intersections!! LOL Sometimes I wonder what the city planners were thinking when they laid out the plans for our fair city...
STU

Old 12-24-2004, 08:29 PM
75Player
Senior User
Originally Posted by stu37d
Sometimes I wonder what the city planners were thinking when they laid out the plans for our fair city...
STU
You assume they can think?

Old 01-17-2005, 09:58 PM
93-331-29PSI
Elder User
Originally Posted by stu37d
The other thing I do is when I am making a left turn on a green (instead of the green arrow), I get my vehicle out into the middle of the intersection so that I can make the turn even if the light turns red on me. I have heard that this is illegal, but, I swear we were taught to do this in drivers ed (22 years ago, in Florida)!
No offense intended with this post, but I have to say it. This is the exact problem with drivers in Hampton Roads. They take something they think they learned 22 years ago in another state and brought it with them.

Don't you have a Va license now? C'mon, you really should read the VA driver handbook. Better yet it should be mandatory for out of state drivers to take the drivers test when getting a VA state license.

Additionally, speaking from experience, calling the city is the first step in getting the timing on the traffic lights changed. Believe me once they get enough calls things will change, anyhow they do in Chesapeake!

Last edited by 93-331-29PSI; 01-17-2005 at 10:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Red Light Cameras