1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Power steering,brake and ac conv. Need some advice.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 04:43 AM
Bogies67
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Power steering,brake and ac conv. Need some advice.

Hi I am recently a new member to the ford truck forums and have been presented with a few problems as to finally being able to converting my family owned ho-hum pickup into a dream classic. But for now I would like to do some converting to greater expand my knowledge and capabilities for caring for these classic tuffies of the road. I currently have enharreted a 1967 f100 strip model 2x4 with a 352/ 4 speed man., my donar vehicle is a 1971 f250 camper special with a 390 / c6 auto. My first question is a ps (power steering) upgrade, the second is a pb (power brake) upgrade, and the third is a ac(air conditioning) upgrade. These are my concerns and I hope I can recieve some answers from some seasoned machanics.

1. Power Steering
I have read throught some of the posted questions in the forums and they have answered some of mine. But some areas have been missed or at least I believe so. My first question is in the harmonic balencers, there both different from each other and im curious if I can use the harmonic balencer off the 390 and put it on the 352, other wise what other options do i have for the three pulley set up that bolts directly to the harmonic balencer. The second is will the ps link up properly with the steering lingkedge. I ask beacuse the 250 cs has front disc prakes, after reading some of the other conversations it sound as if there is a complication when swaping manual steering to ps when the donar vehicle has disc and I have drum.

2. Power Brake
Reading throught some of the conversations it seems that a direct bolt up pb unit is not as easy as it seems. Some have said its direct others say some modification is required. All I know is the unit I have as best disribed would be its somewhat thick and of smaller diameter than its later (73-79) counter parts. It has a rod that looks as if it will bolt directly to the brake pedal. Another question in this whole conversion process is will the master cylender that is currently on my 67 (remanufactured/bought it a month ago) fit as the master cylender in the pb unit.

3. Air Conditioning
Sounds goofy I know but when I was driving through Hermiston OR, over the summer 2/80 (2 windows down 80 mph) it got a little loud. Not that it bothered me that much but I would like to have an alternative so I can here the radio when driving on a hot hay. The question at hand is will the large and bulky dealer upgrade from the 250 cs be able to bolt into my pickup while being able to control the heater components with the pull ***** in the 67 being that they are different in operating manor from th 68-72 pickups. And will it all look stock compared to some of the hokey atempts I seem at the local u-pull its.

These are my three questions and would really appreaciate the comments and advice that all you seasoned ford pickup owners have to offer.

BOGIES67

Old 01-17-2005, 05:50 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
Greg, The basic chassis arrangements is identical from 65-79, so anything under the hood of a 79 will bolt up in a 65. The power steering gear has a different profile on the top and interferes with some driver side engine stands. The donor truck would have all the pieces needed for the upgrade. If you are using a FE you need to look for a 73-76 donor. 76 was the last year that the 360 was offered.

The pullies are bolt on with three bolts. You should be able to move them from one engine to the other. The 428 crank is the only one different from the rest of the FEs as far as I know.

My current thinking is to move the sheet metal over to the donor chassis. I haven't heard of anyone trying, but the cab and front clip could lifted together and the chassis rolled out from under it and the new one rolled under. You would need a strap through the doors and one on the rad. support and the lift could be done while keeping everything together. There is only 6 mounting points, and steering and brake connections to the chassis.

John

Old 01-17-2005, 02:05 PM
Bogies67
New User
Thank you for your thoughts and concerns about moving my 67 body over to the 71 frame. But the frame on the 71 has been bent, otherwise I would try to do so. But my question with the power steering is not with the pulleys themsevles but with the harmonic balencer the pulleys bolt to. Both my 67 and the 71 have the three bolt holes, but the pulleys bolt in with the harmonic balancer off the 71 much better (as if the 390 balencer was made for the pulley set up over the 352) then the 67 harmonic balencer. So my question is can I use the harmonic balencer off the 71 (390) and put it on the 67 (352). Another question that I forgot to ask about in my other article is about the brake lines that hook up to the mastercylender. My question is when you put the brake buster on the mastercylender is moved forward about 6"-8", so with that said is it possible to unbend the break lines without cracking or kinking. Thank you for all your comments and advice.

BOGIES67

Last edited by BOGIES67; 01-17-2005 at 02:21 PM.
Old 01-18-2005, 06:38 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
All answers point to yes.

John

Old 01-18-2005, 12:32 PM
Bogies67
New User
thank you john, I just wasnt sure and wanted some straitforword answers. Have a good day.

BOGIES67