Modular V10 (6.8l)  

'01 V-10 won't idle

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2005, 08:21 PM
xforsand
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'01 V-10 won't idle

I'm going to start checking this thing out tomorrow and wanted to see if there were any suggestions... 2001 Excursion 84,500 mi

Over the last few months this thing has been developing. It would start-but it would act like it just barely wanted to fire, then it would catch and run fine. After a while (and it's also colder- Colorado in winter) it got to the point it would start and die, crank it again it would start and die again, give it just the slightest amount of throttle and it would start fine and idle fine. Today, it would start with the slightest amount of throttle, but would not idle. I drove it a few miles, it would idle, but at about 400 rpm. I took it out on the highway and got on it, revved right up to the shift point and pulled hard like it always has, but I got to the stop sign and it idled down to 300-400 rpm and finally died. Give it the slightest amount of throttle and it fires right up, let off and it idles down to nothing and finally dies. No check engine light has ever appeared. Air filter and fuel filter are good. I don't have a code reader yet and was trying to decide if I should go get one, or just take it in and have it diagnosed. I have rebuilt engines and such, but this electronic suff...

Old 01-16-2005, 09:12 PM
V10MARS
Senior User
IAC (Idle control motor) 99% of the time.

Old 01-17-2005, 05:43 AM
Adventure
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IAC 200% of the time (I've replaced 2 now).

Old 01-17-2005, 04:21 PM
xforsand
New User
Okay, dropped $149.00 on an Actron code reader and it shows no stored codes. I still agree with the diagnosis and am going to change the IAC. Question: there is a canister between the IAC and the air filter- is this some type of filter that needs to be changed?

Old 01-17-2005, 06:11 PM
V10MARS
Senior User
Nope. Should be two bolts and and "8" looking o-ring. Some have a gasket insted of the o-ring.
Unplug the wires and don't drop the mounting bolts. Remove the negative battery cable for five minutes. Conect every thing back up and start it up. Let it idle for 5 minutes with the a/c off and then 5 minutes with the a/c on. Done.

Old 01-17-2005, 06:53 PM
xforsand
New User
Thanks V10MARS and Adventure for your help. Pulled it apart and went to the local Ford dealer- the only one that had it in stock. Pricey little bugger, $113.00. Could have got it at Autozone for $60.00 if I wanted to wait- but I hate using cheap aftermarket parts for things like this. I don't know if Motorcraft is any better, but I feel better. Anyway, I pulled the hose off the canister for the heck of it and there is no element inside it, must be there for more air volume or something. I'll throw it back together tomorrow per your instructions V10MARS- thanks again!!

Also- the new one has tabs on it to hold the piston open just a little bit, different part number too. Everybody I called knew exactly what I was talking about, so I am assuming this is a common problem...

Old 01-19-2005, 10:01 AM
xforsand
New User
Just to follow up for anyone else having this problem- the IAC fixed it. It starts and idles like new again. Thanks again for the help!!

Old 01-21-2005, 09:42 AM
GloNDark
Junior User
I've been having a similar problem with my rig. Started the other day, and has been gettting worse and worse as time goes on. This morning was the worst, it would start, die, start, die, start, die. ARGH!!

So today I just happen to be going to see my dad at the ford dealer, I will have him hook me up with a new IAC and report back.

Old 01-31-2005, 09:32 PM
DuncanE.
New User
Have a `01 F-250 V-10 with 87K...Xfordand...I live in VERY far southcentral Colorado at 8600 feet. Has been pretty cold here this winter. I keep the truck outside (no block heater). On the coldest mornings (minus 8 after an overnight low of minus 15)...she cranks slow...some hesitation...dies...cranks again...and VIOLA, idles like a champ! Haven't replaced the fuel filter (as of yet) and all seems to be well. Gawd!....I love my truck (she's 2-wheel drive even, but with some weight in the back, no problem)
D.E.

Old 02-01-2005, 10:14 AM
EGPD1725
New User
idle control motor-i had to have one replaced in my patrol car here in new jersey. car would start and then die. once replaced, car runs like new.

Old 02-01-2005, 11:08 AM
Redmonster5
New User
I cleaned mine with throttle body cleaner after reading this post and that seemed to take care of the problem. When I took it off, there was a lot of carbon build up, does anyone know what can be done to reduce the amount of carbon build up?

Old 02-01-2005, 11:09 AM
Redmonster5
New User
Also the reason I cleaned it opposed to replacing, no one in my town for some reason had the part. I got frustrated and read a post where they cleaned it and it worked fine after that. I got same results. Does anyone know where I can get one? I tried to go through ORielys auto parts since they said the could offer a lifetime warranty on it, however they cant seem to order it from Borg-Warner.

Old 02-01-2005, 11:30 AM
Big Orn
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Redmonster5
...does anyone know what can be done to reduce the amount of carbon build up?
Clean gasoline.

You won't find any here in America. Sorry.

Old 02-01-2005, 11:36 AM
V10MARS
Senior User
Originally Posted by Redmonster5
Also the reason I cleaned it opposed to replacing, no one in my town for some reason had the part. I got frustrated and read a post where they cleaned it and it worked fine after that. I got same results. Does anyone know where I can get one? I tried to go through ORielys auto parts since they said the could offer a lifetime warranty on it, however they cant seem to order it from Borg-Warner.
Try NAPA online. (napa.com I think)

Old 02-01-2005, 12:14 PM
Redmonster5
New User
Originally Posted by V10MARS
Try NAPA online.

Thanks V10MARS will try them.