1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Superduty auto-locking 4X4 hubs

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 03:07 PM
Big Orn
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by OverHeight
I just want to make sure I understand how this works.

You can shift between 2 and 4 wheel drive with the dash switch whenever you want.
Yes.
But if you want dedicated 4x4 then manually lock the hubs and use the switch to engage the transfer case only?
Nope.

The switch on the dash does it all.

If for some reason your hubs don't function, then you can get out and lock them manually.

Clear?

Old 01-12-2005, 03:22 PM
F250Wheels
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just want to make sure I understand how this works.

You can shift between 2 and 4 wheel drive with the dash switch whenever you want. But if you want dedicated 4x4 then manually lock the hubs and use the switch to engage the transfer case only?
The manual lever is only A backup incase the vaccum fails.

Old 01-12-2005, 03:47 PM
Big Orn
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by F250Wheels
The manual lever is only A backup incase the vaccum fails.
The "dial on the hubs", F250Wheels. Let's not confuse him with "lever" and such. This seems to be a hard enough system to understand as it is.

Old 01-12-2005, 07:26 PM
WhiskeyMan
New User
Big Orn, if I was gonna be out in a muddy, steep, rugged area all day and needed my 4x4 system guaranteed to work at all times.........shouldn't I just lock my hubs manually in the morning and unlock them at night just to be certain of guaranteed 4x4 performance at all times during the day? Why wait for the auto-hubs to fail?

Old 01-12-2005, 10:22 PM
OverHeight
Tuned
Originally Posted by Big Orn
The switch on the dash does it all.

If for some reason your hubs don't function, then you can get out and lock them manually.

Clear?
Thanks big!

As I havn't got my new truck yet, what does the ford manual say about when to use the hubs?

Old 01-12-2005, 10:25 PM
99f350sd
Lead Driver

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by WhiskeyMan
Big Orn, if I was gonna be out in a muddy, steep, rugged area all day and needed my 4x4 system guaranteed to work at all times.........shouldn't I just lock my hubs manually in the morning and unlock them at night just to be certain of guaranteed 4x4 performance at all times during the day? Why wait for the auto-hubs to fail?

Yes.................................

Old 01-13-2005, 07:29 AM
F250Wheels
Elder User
Thanks big!

As I havn't got my new truck yet, what does the ford manual say about when to use the hubs?
You only need to operate the hubs manualy if something fails in the automatic system.

Old 01-13-2005, 08:03 AM
Big Orn
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by WhiskeyMan
I agree also.

Old 01-13-2005, 08:13 AM
04-HD4U2NV
Senior User
7 Ford trucks with auto hubs since 1991, in all that time there was only 1 of the trucks that had a problem and that occured at over 100K. No it is not as easy as just flipping the switch to engage or disengage every time, is there wheel hop? Not disengaged! Put it in four wheel drive once in a while even when you don't need it, move those mechanical parts a little. No you can't ignore them until someday you need them, they need service too. If you are going to bury the hubs in water quite often or run in the elements every weekend, I think manual may be better but even they need a little TLC on a regular basis then, they use moving parts for engagement too and can stick. Oh when they don't work it may come to bite me again some day, but for the most part I for one have been okay with the auto feature on my trucks.

Old 01-13-2005, 08:25 AM
Big Orn
Post Fiend
Thanks big!

On the ESOF system, the hubs lock when the system is engaged. So when you feel the need to use 4WD....

Also, do not engage 4WD when on hard surfaces. (this is debatable as to why, but the main reason is wear and tear on the gearing and components) I have left my 4WD locked in on hard surfaces when occasional sheets of ice were on the pavement and had no ill effects.

Let me add that, as designed, the ESOF system is one unit. The hubs do not work independently of the switch on the dash...unless you manually lock them. When you lock the hubs you still will not get power to the front wheels unless ESOF system is engaged. The switch on the dash engages the system, which means it energizes the transfer case, which sends power to the front diff, which powers the wheels after the hubs are automatically locked.

If you turn the switch on the dash to 4WD (either High or Low) the hubs will (are designed to) lock at that moment. "At that moment" could mean up to 45 seconds depending on how often you exercise the system...and engaging this sort of setup is required fairly often if you want it to work when you turn the ****.

Hope this answers some questions.

I don't know if they've improved ESOF since '99, but if not, I would suggest going with the manual setup.

What's so bad about getting out and locking hubs?

Most of us got the ESOF because we couldn't pass up the deal on the truck. We then had to learn all the little headaches about it just to make it functional.

Old 01-13-2005, 10:00 AM
F250Wheels
Elder User
Originally Posted by 04-HD4U2NV
7 Ford trucks with auto hubs since 1991, in all that time there was only 1 of the trucks that had a problem and that occured at over 100K. No it is not as easy as just flipping the switch to engage or disengage every time, is there wheel hop? Not disengaged! Put it in four wheel drive once in a while even when you don't need it, move those mechanical parts a little. No you can't ignore them until someday you need them, they need service too. If you are going to bury the hubs in water quite often or run in the elements every weekend, I think manual may be better but even they need a little TLC on a regular basis then, they use moving parts for engagement too and can stick. Oh when they don't work it may come to bite me again some day, but for the most part I for one have been okay with the auto feature on my trucks.
I couldn't agree more, All these problems with front hubs is caused by abuse, or lack of use.

Old 01-14-2005, 09:24 AM
Big T
Freshman User
Thanks for the feedback guys. But, can someone please explain the vacuum that was mentioned? It was my understanding that the hubs were totally mechanical even with ESOF. That's why it didn't matter if you switched to manual hubs (like Warn). The difference would be that I'd need to get out and shift the hubs manually prior to switching the **** on the dash. The Warn technical rep. told me the axle was the same with ESOF or not. I wonder if I simply have a vacuum problem then? Where are the vacuum lines located if there are any?

Old 01-14-2005, 11:41 AM
Frobozz
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Big Orn
Also, do not engage 4WD when on hard surfaces. (this is debatable as to why, but the main reason is wear and tear on the gearing and components)
It's not debatable, it's mechanical engineering and the principles of physics!

Your differential allows your left and right wheels to turn at different speeds, like when turning a corner and the outside wheel needs to turn faster than the inside wheel. Your front diff does the same thing. When you lock it in 4WD, the diffs still do their thing for mismatched speeds between left and right wheels... but there is no mechanism for dealing with mismatched speeds between front and back wheels. (AWD cars have a diff in the transfer case, but we're talking about our trucks, which don't.)

The mechanism that ends up dealing with that is the fact that you only use 4WD on slippery surfaces. So the front and back axles end up spinning at the same speeds by virtue of the fact that one set of wheels ends up getting pushed or dragged by the other, which it can do because the tires aren't locked well to the driving surface.

But when they are well-locked to the driving surface, like on a dry asphalt road, then it becomes a more evenly matched contest. *Something* has to give, to keep the axles spinning at the same speed. Maybe it will be the tire's grip on the pavement, maybe it will be one of your axle shafts, maybe it will be some gear teeth or a chain inside the transfer case. But something will give. And in those circumstances you simply can't depend on it being the grip of the tires on the surface.

(Ask any early Land Rover owner which gives in first: tire grip on asphalt, or axle shaft at the diff end...)

Duncan

Old 01-14-2005, 12:17 PM
F250Wheels
Elder User
Originally Posted by Big T
Thanks for the feedback guys. But, can someone please explain the vacuum that was mentioned? It was my understanding that the hubs were totally mechanical even with ESOF. That's why it didn't matter if you switched to manual hubs (like Warn). The difference would be that I'd need to get out and shift the hubs manually prior to switching the **** on the dash. The Warn technical rep. told me the axle was the same with ESOF or not. I wonder if I simply have a vacuum problem then? Where are the vacuum lines located if there are any?
A vacuum leak or failed vac. pump, which would also would affect your AC controls. The vacuum lines are right inside of the front wheels. from there i'm not sure.

Old 01-14-2005, 12:28 PM
04-HD4U2NV
Senior User
Frobozz - I question your comment about being locked in 4 wheel drive and the differential still allowing the left and right wheels to rotate at their own pace. That maybe true is some instances on some surfaces but not all, as that is the reason for the suggestion to not drive in 4X4 on dry hard dry surfaces, wheel hop or whatever you want to call it suggests that the wheels at times can not rotate independent of the other i.e. while cornering. Maybe I misunderstood your comment.

Quick Reply: Superduty auto-locking 4X4 hubs