Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

The Best EXHAUST

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 07:26 AM
Reese Moody
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Best EXHAUST

I, have an exhaust question. Here's some back ground. My lastest project! I recently purchase a 88 F-350 crewcab w/a 460 and 5 speed. To satisfy my curiousity ( having owned two much better diesels), I sucessfully transplanted a 6.9L Diesel in front of a 5 speed ZF Trans. Not as easy as it sounds! Anyway, after all the tank swapping, clutch kits, trans housing swaps, dash changing, wire loom switching, I really like it.( The wife however dubbed it the money pit, probably based on Kelly Blue Book. You, just can't expect them to understand.)
Well, after all the un-forseen expenses. I used the stock exhaust off the 87 F-250, and added in 33 1/4 inches of 2 1/2 DIA pipe. It is very quiet, and runs great. But, I'm looking for the Cheapest, most HP improving, loudest off the line, quitest when cruising, all around exhaust... Any advice would be truly appreciated. Thanks REESE

Old 01-11-2005, 08:53 AM
jonjayjabroni
Junior User
best exhaust....ha...5" chrome stacks....just got mine today...and just a question what is the diameter of the stock exhaust???(89' 250 7.3)....i am going to cut mine just before the muffler and run flex up to a t in the bed...

Last edited by jonjayjabroni; 01-11-2005 at 08:57 AM.
Old 01-11-2005, 01:46 PM
rad8374
New User
Ive got straight pipes with 4" stacks, but the only time its quiet is when its ideling. They sound really good though and I can tell a its added a little get up and go.

Old 01-11-2005, 05:59 PM
Reese Moody
New User
The stock exhaust on mine is 2 1/2 two into one, then flares to 3 inch about a foot before the end of the tail pipe. Reese

Old 01-11-2005, 08:54 PM
redneckf350
Junior User
put a glasspack on mine very loud when you put your foot in to it low rumble when cruising got the glasspack and the tip for about $70

Old 01-11-2005, 09:35 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Reese run three inch pipe up to in front of where the Y pipes come together. Dump the right side in the end of the pipe and the left bank into the side of it. Then run a see through muffler and three inch pipe to the back of the truck straight as possible. It will be loud, but not to bad in the cab. The loudest time will be when you are decellerating or going downhill at about 2200 RPM. A jake brake is what it will sound like then.

The main reason I say three inch is most muffler shops can fab three inch pipe for not a lot of dollars.

The stock exhaust is actually 2.25" ID pipe.

Last edited by Dave Sponaugle; 01-11-2005 at 09:39 PM.
Old 01-14-2005, 08:34 PM
Dieseldan7.3
Elder User
I have a straight pipe dumping in front of the passenger tire on mine. 3 inch after the Y with no muffler. Sounds great, no cackle like a gasser. Its too loud for the cops when taking off unless I take off like grandma and shift at 1800 rpms. Soon to put on 5 inch stacks with glass packs inside of the stacks. What does dual glasspacks sound like on these diesels with no turbo? Is it quieter than straight pipes?

Old 01-14-2005, 10:03 PM
89ford73
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it pops like a raped ape about 2600!!! my truck was true dualed out with glasspacks and 90,s out behind the tires. is loud off the line and really starts popping like a gasser over 2600. going under 4-lane bridges is the funnest thing to do for me, hit 2nd right before your front grille goes under the bridge at about 15 mph, and give-er-hell. LOUD and echoes like a sommbtch the right side always sounded deeper than the left side because the left pipe was a little smaller than the stock pipe on the right, and the left side had a bigger tip on it. i always wanted to put true dual 3" MATCHING straightpipe and see if that sounded any better, but i never did. i didn't put exhaust on my truck, it was like that when i got it.

Old 01-14-2005, 11:00 PM
soulpatchfr
Junior User
Originally Posted by Reese Moody
But, I'm looking for the Cheapest, most HP improving, loudest off the line, quitest when cruising, all around exhaust...
that's a lot to ask from one product, don't you think, reese?

'first place' for closest to what you're asking for would be true dual 3" straight pipes, dumping out in front of each rear wheel. no need for mufflers yet, you can always cut out a section & add in some free flow cherrybomb types when you get tired of the open header v8 sound (i haven't just yet).

sounds like you could do it, or have a local shop hack off the y pipe as close as they can on either side & weld up some new stuff. it'll be ugly where they join, but oh well. you wanted cheap, right? cheap. lotsa air out for hp/mpg gains. loud / semi-quiet. there ya go.
if you have a secondary saddle tank, i think you'll have a hard time inside the framrails, though.

i paid about $270 to have the neighborhood muffler shop do the above job not too long ago. probably paid a little more since i had them route the pipes outside the framerails - for the stacks that i'll add one day. she's redneck loud when you get on it, much more so over 2300 revs, but you can control it with your foot. let me say you MAY, but maybe you "can't" she rumbles a deep soft tune at 70mph / 2000 rpm - beautiful.
you can kind of see one side in this pic: http:///showphoto.php?photo=22123&si...t=1&thecat=500

oh, and 89ford... how fast do you drive that thing? i saw your pics. not too bad, but get to that front end, man. i commute through a long tunnel everyday - every once in a while i back down to fourth gear at 70 & grin the whole way through

Old 01-14-2005, 11:26 PM
89ford73
Posting Guru
my 5th gear is the same as your 4th gear due to my 4.10 rear end. if i had a huge tunnel to go through every day i would be all grins every day with the radio blaring and windows down and fill the tunnel with choke smoke!! i love the sound when i am cruising 70 at 2700 up against a concrete divider and ease on the throttle a little with the winders down.i LOVE IT!!!!!!i am thinking about take my turbo off to get that sound back. how fast do i drive it?? as fast as it will go. lol

Old 01-14-2005, 11:30 PM
89ford73
Posting Guru
hey, soulpatchfr, i looked at your pics..... an that truck IS BAD!!!!!!!!!!!! how much you want for it???? i'll trade you my 2 old fords, a 1/2 ton chevy with a 454, and a 94 dodge diesel with a standard for it!!!!!!!!!! that is DEAD SEXXY

Old 01-15-2005, 08:35 PM
harleyjohn45
Senior User
thanks soulpatchfr:
for the good picture of the famous soupbowl and the restrictor. i see you removing the soupbowl, but you kept the restrictor. my truck definately does not have the soupbowl, and i'm almost certain the restrictor has been removed. oh yeah, i think the same fellow who wired your truck did mine also. ha
this next week i have to pull the tailshaft off the transmission and change my speedometer gears. i just changed my 513 rear for a 355, so my spedo is about 40% off. my ford dealer is not really helping me much with the gears i need. someone on this forum said i needed red gears.

Old 01-15-2005, 08:50 PM
89ford73
Posting Guru
i can't see his other pics cuz i got banned from the diesel stop... buncha hot-heads over there

Old 01-15-2005, 09:01 PM
harleyjohn45
Senior User
ok 89 ford:
you pulled up his truck photo, just behind his name in bold blue letters---it says to see his other photo's in small black letters. i don't see how they could keep you from looking.

Old 01-15-2005, 09:57 PM
soulpatchfr
Junior User
Originally Posted by 89ford73
i am thinking about take my turbo off to get that sound back.
do that. you'll love it. i'll send you my address so you know where to send that turbo. thanks for the kudos - i like her. she gets me from a to b.

harleyjohn - you're welcome. i'm a little camera happy. just got here to tfe, so i haven't created a gallery. kinda testing the waters so far... need to make time to read back through old threads.
oh - that wiring? don't try to duplicate it. a highly complicated and sophisticated job that should only be attempted by an expert. took me hours to route them that way.

Originally Posted by rad8374
the only time its quiet is when its ideling.
funny - the only time mine is quiet is when she isn't running.

Quick Reply: The Best EXHAUST