Sponsored by:

'74 axles

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 12:54 AM
racinghoss
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'74 axles

This may be a different type of question for you guys. I am looking to swap a sturdier set of axles into my 2000 Jeep. I have been offered a matching set (D44 front and 9" rear) from a '74 Bronco, but I am not sure that I want them.

The front would be a low pinion, right. I have heard that they have the weaker 260 u-joints and drum brakes. True? What would be a stronger u-joint to use and would it be a bolt on swap? Is there a disk brake conversion for it? Can anyone tell me the spline count?

The rear 9" should be drum brakes so is there a disk conversion available? What is the spline count, 28 or 31? Small bearings?

Lastly, what is the width of these axles? Sorry for so many questions, but this site was always helpful when I had my truck, may it RIP.

Old 01-10-2005, 01:21 AM
Sgt_Pepper17
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not familiar with Dana axels so can't help ya there. However, the 9in will probably be a 31 spline. The weaker 28 was used on cars. I know they make a disk conversion for it b/c I saw them do it on tv once, but couldn't give you a company name. Anyhow, I'm not sure on how wide the axels will be either and it's too cold to go measure mine right now. You might be careful about the gear ratio change if and when you switch axels. You could end up short changing yourself. Good luck.

Erik

Old 01-10-2005, 01:35 AM
racinghoss
Senior User
Originally Posted by Sgt_Pepper17
Not familiar with Dana axels so can't help ya there. However, the 9in will probably be a 31 spline. The weaker 28 was used on cars. I know they make a disk conversion for it b/c I saw them do it on tv once, but couldn't give you a company name. Anyhow, I'm not sure on how wide the axels will be either and it's too cold to go measure mine right now. You might be careful about the gear ratio change if and when you switch axels. You could end up short changing yourself. Good luck.

Erik
The gearing in them in just what I want, 3.73. That is what my Jeep has now and with my tranny and tire size I think that is perfect. I hope you are right about it being a 31 spline. I cant check them for myself as they are on Kodiak Island (Alaska) and I cannot get there easily (I am in Anchorage, AK).

Old 01-10-2005, 03:09 AM
RCrawler
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by racinghoss
This may be a different type of question for you guys. I am looking to swap a sturdier set of axles into my 2000 Jeep. I have been offered a matching set (D44 front and 9" rear) from a '74 Bronco, but I am not sure that I want them.

The front would be a low pinion, right. I have heard that they have the weaker 260 u-joints and drum brakes. True? What would be a stronger u-joint to use and would it be a bolt on swap? Is there a disk brake conversion for it? Can anyone tell me the spline count?

The rear 9" should be drum brakes so is there a disk conversion available? What is the spline count, 28 or 31? Small bearings?

Lastly, what is the width of these axles? Sorry for so many questions, but this site was always helpful when I had my truck, may it RIP.
The Bronco 44 will be a low pinion version. Stock u joints are the smaller 260's, but they are upgradeable to 297's with aftermarket alloy axles (or cut down full size axles). A '74 should have drum brakes unless they've been converted. If not, there are several different options for discs available, including the factory 76-77 Bronco setup, a 76-79 full size setup (similar to the 76-77 Bronco setup) and a mix of 1/2 ton GM and Ford parts. Everyone has their preferences and each has its pros and cons. Since you're building it for a custom application, you'll have more options to choose from. The stock Bronco 44's (and light truck 44's) have 30 spline axles. With upgraded shafts, they hold up pretty well with 35" tires. Depending on the weight and set up with your Jeep, you may be able to get away with a little bigger tire.

In the rear there were a couple of options available in 74. The big bearing
small brake (2 7/8" bearing w/ 10" brakes) or the big bearing big brake (3 1/8" bearing with 11" brakes). All early Bronco 9" had 28 spline axles. But they are easily upgradable to 31 and 35 spline with a differential change. There are several disc brake conversions available for the Bronco 9".
I can't remember the exact widths on these, but I'm thinking 57-59" flange to flange.
Stock Bronco gear ratios were 3.50, 4.10, and 4.56. If they are stock ratios, most likely to be 3.50's, as the lower ratios were discontinued by 74. They could have been changed somewhere along the line to 3.73's though.

Jason

Old 01-10-2005, 10:01 AM
racinghoss
Senior User
RCrawler

Thanks. That is the exact info I was looking for. I think I will pass on these axles. With the money it would cost me to get them ready for my Jeep I could find a 8.8 in a yard and get it in with a locker.

Thanks for the help guys.