1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Mark III Motorized Sofa

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2005, 03:13 PM
bhobgood
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Mark III Motorized Sofa

I have a '93 E150 Mark III conversion van. It is equipped with a motorized "sofa" seat in the rear that will collapse into a bed. The motor that drives this is controlled by a switch in an overhead console in the front of the van. I have blown a fuse that supplies current for this motor and cannot raise the bed back up into a seat. I am being told there is an inline fuse somewhere between the switch console and the power source, but I cannot find it. I have checked fuses, both in the passenger compartment and in the fuse box under the hood and do not find one blown. Can anyone tell me for sure if there is an inline fuse, and if so, where it is located?

Thank you for any suggestions.

Old 01-09-2005, 03:28 PM
ACESN8S
Elder User
Are there fuses behind the overhead console panel?

Patrick

Old 01-09-2005, 03:39 PM
bhobgood
New User
No. I pulled the panel down. There are wires going to the back to the seat. There is also a "hot" and a ground wire that seem to go toward the post behind the driver seat where I assume they travel back down to the floor. I pulled the wires as far as I reasonably could, but did not see any inline fuse.

Thanks for the suggestion, however.

Old 01-09-2005, 03:49 PM
ACESN8S
Elder User
Mine isn't a Mark, but the inline fuse that is for my overhead is on the drives side, between the battery (dual batt's) and fender.
Does the switch show hot on the backside when you take a test light to it?
Have you taken a test light to the hot at the seat?

Patrick

Last edited by ACESN8S; 01-09-2005 at 03:57 PM.
Old 01-09-2005, 04:17 PM
bhobgood
New User
I have checked voltage at the switch. I do not have voltage there. I have "hot-wired" at the switch (suppying 12 volts from another source) and have been able to get the seat to come back up. So, I know if I can get voltage to the switch, the rest of it (from the switch to the sofa) is OK.

I will do some more looking relative to your description of the location of your fuse. Thanks very much for the input.

Old 01-12-2005, 12:07 PM
Cor
Senior User
This is not of much help, but can confirm that my Mark III, '93 does not have fuses in the overhead console.

I do not know where it is though.....Sorry,
Although, there are one or two in-line fuses near the drivers foot, neatr the Ford fusebox, but again, I do not know what those are for

Cor

Old 01-12-2005, 03:56 PM
94van
Posting Guru
My '94 MK III has a fuse panel in the side panel behind the driver's seat. A wood door covers it. It may be the Auto-Net 605 fuse center which disburses power to the seats and bed, among other things.

Old 01-13-2005, 03:16 PM
Leo_T
Senior User
I have a 96 Mark III with the fuse box same as 94van. Guess they didn't change much.

Old 01-13-2005, 03:25 PM
94van
Posting Guru
Leo_T:

Wonder if bhobgood got it fixed? Be interesting to know if thats where his problem lies.

Old 01-15-2005, 05:13 PM
bhobgood
New User
Sorry, I haven't given an update in a few days. We have been out of town. Unfortunately, I have not found the fuse yet. I am pretty sure there is one, as the previous owner cautioned me about it when I purchased the van from him. It had blown on him one time. He was not mechanically inclined, and did not know where the fuse was. He only knew that it cost him a bundle for someone to find it and replace it. I thought in the next week or two, I will make a couple of phone calls to some local repair shops to see if, just by chance, someone knows about this.

The van doesn't seem to have a separate fuse panel for the customized accessories. At least I haven't found one. One interesting thing I may have found. A wire the same size and color (yellow) shows up at the positive terminal block under the hood (next to the battery, where one of the cables from the battery (+) post goes). However, it seems to disappear into the cable harness which makes me suspicious as to whether it is the same wire.

In any event, I appreciate the suggestions. It has given me some ideas. I will update when I figure it out.

Old 06-04-2005, 04:44 PM
bhobgood
New User
Found It!

I finally found the fuse with the help of Kenneth Coder at eastcoastautotoys.com. It truly is an inline fuse in the pillar behind the drivers seat. I had to remove several screws from the window shroud, but once done, I could reach down below the window in the wall and pull out the fuse and wires. It was not that difficult once I knew where it was.

Thanks to all for their suggestions.

bhobgood

Old 07-25-2005, 03:51 PM
Cor
Senior User
This helped me find another problem, the 12Volt outlet at the rear did not work anymore, just recently.

I do not have any accessdoor behind the driversseat, but there is a heater cover. I did not have to remove the windowshroud.
After removing this cover and digging around in the soundproofing materials, I found 2 in-line fuses.
One is for the outlet at the rear,(greenwires) the other one is for the TV socket.(brown/white wire.)
The picture shows these fuses, marked to be 15 Amp.
Name:  Verborgenzekeringen.jpg
Views: 1078
Size:  99.5 KB
Not sure however if 1 of these also powers the seat yet.
Hope this helps again,
Cor

Last edited by Cor; 07-25-2005 at 03:54 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:27 PM
leslane
Freshman User
My 1993 E150 Winnebago conversion van with the 5.0 engine has a 30 amp fuse (top far right) in the fuse panel just above and left of the brake pedal that supplies the 12 volts to the motorized sofa.

Old 12-05-2011, 04:39 PM
dustmote
Freshman User
WOW, when I saw the title of this thread, I thought it was about something VERY different!

LOL!

More like this:

Old 12-06-2011, 01:33 AM
joshofalltrades
Postmaster
way to resurrect a 6 year old thread
@dustmote, will i see that sofa on the road anytime soon

Quick Reply: Mark III Motorized Sofa