Sponsored by:

4x4 problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2005, 10:06 PM
Monty316
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4x4 problem

I searched for this problem but couldnt find nething. My dad has 94 bronco with auto locking hubs and shift on the fly. We just had a snow storm and the thing was handling wierd in 4x4 so i got out and watched him tool around in the snow. The driver side front wheel is not spinning when 4x4 is engaged. It seems as though it tries to once in a while but then dies. The passenger side is fine. Also, when he is gettin on it, that particular wheel starts clunkin and hoppin around. Sounds like the wheel is gonna fly off. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

Old 01-08-2005, 10:18 PM
Thomasm67
Postmaster
Sounds like the driver side hub is not fully engaging. Is the driver side wheel cluckin and hopping or passager side? If you are mechanically inclined and know what you are doing take apart the driver's side hub clean it throughly regrease it and reinstall it. you might want to do that to the passager side also. If that does not fix the problem you can replace the auto hubs with manual hubs from warn or milemarker. If you are not mechanically incline take it to your mechanic and let him repair it.

Old 01-09-2005, 02:48 PM
threefiftyone
Elder User
I'd say hubs too. Auto hubs do not last long. Your local ford dealer sells automatic hub rebuild kits(avg-$20 ea.whl), if you want to keep your auto hubs.

Depending on the condition of the vehicle, you might check the front axle u-joints.

Old 01-09-2005, 05:22 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
first thing to notice is he said the passenger side is working fine this bronco most likely has an open front diff so if the drivers side was not engaged then that axle would just spin, and neither tire would spin sounds more like the ujoint in the axle has seized and is going bad.

Old 01-09-2005, 10:27 PM
Monty316
New User
hey guys thanks for the replies it is the driver side that is doing the clunking just to answer thomasm67's question ill definitely look into the u-joint on the axle if thats ok ill pull the hubs apart and c if i can notice nething those rebuild kits threefiftyone mentioned sound good i do like the auto hubs and if im not gonna be keeping the truck long maybe thats the thing to try the bronco is gettin pretty beat and i think my dad is going to be purchasing an 01 f150 offroad i was thinking about takin the bronco as a beater for the rest of the winter to save my truck from the salt thanks again for the help guys