Sponsored by: DP Tuner

air intake to engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2005, 09:00 PM
shendoa
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
air intake to engine

I instaled the tymar filter i like it. But i have a question, I don't want to put in a intercoller. the air that the filter gets is heated by the radiator, and is hotter than the outside air. if i could install a box around the tymar filter and somehow duct the air from the frount outside air, i could get more condenced air, but i have to figure how to do that without cutting a big hole in grill. and when it raining don't want to suck rain into the duct work. ANY IDEAS?

Old 01-08-2005, 09:04 PM
LuLuGoin2ADiesel
Elder User
do a search on the zoodad mod. that should help you find some useful info on how to tap into the piece behind the grill. But as far as a box to surround the Tymar... I guess you'll have to fabricate something.

Old 01-08-2005, 10:59 PM
barebackjake
Postmaster
i put a tube going to mine, but later i put a temp probe right at the filter and there was only a differnce when i was sitting still or at very slow speeds the fan and how much air the engine consumes it keeps the air flowing under there. im going to have to ditch the tube when i put my intercooler in.

Old 01-09-2005, 01:10 AM
PWRPROD
Senior User
I have been working slowly on the same problem. if you use the stock air tube and cut out the baffeling fiber glass that blocks the air from the front of the truck you have a perfect place to form a duct for cold air into the intake. I blocked off the original downward opening with some foam glued in place. The results of all of this is less than 1/2 inch of vacuum at maximum throtel measured at the top of the K&N filter in the original filter box. Next step to form a metal or plastic air horn into that part of the truck right behind the grill. The goal is to create some ram air effect at highway speed and get the coldest air possible to the intake. The stock air inlet also precludes rain intake to the engine which could be a diaster. A 4" exhaust is a must for all of this to do any good. Oh yes the stock turbo spools even faster, very close to the 6.0 and you can really feel the power band come on. Just another cheap way to grab a couple of horses. What was that mod to the waste gate to get a little more boost, I know I saw it around here some place.