1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

'53 Differential Cover Installation

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 09:33 AM
Fat Fendered Ford
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'53 Differential Cover Installation

I'm getting ready to reinstall the differential cover on the rear axle of my '53 F-100. I will probably use a little gasket sealer and according to my shop manual I should torque the bolts to 30-35 ft/lbs. Any idea what sequence I should use to tighten the bolts? Should I tighten them much like head bolts where you tighten opposing bolts? Should I start at the top/bottom or the sides. Does it make a damn bit of difference?

Kevin Kessler
1953 Ford F-100

Old 01-06-2005, 11:42 AM
Goobzilla
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well Kevin,

When ever I lack a specified bolt sequence, I fall back to my Navy "A" school training and use a "star" pattern. The real key is to alternate around so that in theory you are never tightening 2 adjacent fasteners. How many bolts are on that diff cover?

Ron

PS I haven't forgot about you and those running board supports. I'll get them out someday, promise!

Old 01-06-2005, 11:44 AM
Goobzilla
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plus since I'm a little over cautious in everything I do, I would hit that 35 ft-lbs in 2 increments. Take them all to 20 1st and then up to specified torque. What can I say, old habits die hard.

Ron

Old 01-06-2005, 12:05 PM
Earl
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Hey Kevin, I went through the gasket/sealer issue on that rear cover. The cover is not very thick and, given the bolt spacing, I got a very wavy cover edge when I put the gasket on and used the manual torque specs. The darn thing also leaked. I finally cleaned up both surfaces, put on some Permatex, and tightened the bolts to the spec. Without the gasket in there, the cover edge was flat and I haven't noticed any leaks in the couple years it's been sitting in my garage waiting for the rest of the restoration.

Old 01-06-2005, 01:17 PM
Fat Fendered Ford
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ron,

Thanks for the advice. I hadn't thought about the two stage torque sequence.

George,

I looked on your site since I knew you did that already. I read about the sealer but didn't understand that you eliminated the gasket altogether. Interesting.

Did anybody else notice that George updated Earl's web site? You've been a busy beaver. It's good to have you back, George!

Kevin Kessler
1953 Ford F-100