Aerostar Ford Aerostar

trying to install new belt on my 92 Aerostar

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 03:32 PM
kevinj30
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation trying to install new belt on my 92 Aerostar

I have a 92 Aerostar with a 3.0. The alternator serpentine belt broke on me so I took it to the local parts store to match it up. The new belt has way to much slack in it. I have routed it and re-routed it to make sure it was right. I am pretty new at doing my own repairs. I got tired of lining someone elses pockets.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 01-03-2005, 03:38 PM
Muffinman
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The sticker on the inside shows you how it's routed.

Old 01-03-2005, 04:56 PM
kevinj30
New User
sticker under hood

In someones infinite wisdom they removed the sticker on my Aerostar I have followed the diagram in the Chiltons and also the diagram at Autozone.com. If you have any additional ideas I would greatly appreciate it as I have seem to run out of ideas I am pretty sure that I have routed it correctly but there it an excess amount of play in the belt. Please help

Old 01-03-2005, 05:31 PM
copper_90680
Postmaster
Kevin:

First, check and make sure the belt is of the correct length. When I replaced my A/C compressor, the pulley on the new compressor is slightly larger then the original one and I had to get a belt that was 1/2" longer than the original belt.

Second, click on my alias and choose "Send e-mail" and send me an e-mail message, that way I'll get your e-mail address and I'll send you a picture of the correct routing.

Regards

Old 01-03-2005, 05:48 PM
reever
Elder User
Been there done that! Do a search in this forum on "serpentine belt"

There is a thread with drawings and diagrams. I should know, I was all over that thread!!

I don't know how to link back to an older thread, but do a search on serpentine belt replacement, and use my name, reever or use Aero4E as the users in the search. There is about 17 posts in the thread. pictures are gone, but the descriptions are very good!

Good luck
-reever

Last edited by reever; 01-03-2005 at 05:59 PM.
Old 01-05-2005, 06:24 PM
kevinj30
New User
finally got it yeah!!!

I got the belt installed not sure if I have it too tight or not tight enough it squeals when I first start the van but then stop after a few seconds, also when I turn on any type of heat the van squeals and the voltage drops any clues??

Old 01-05-2005, 08:40 PM
AeroRob
New User
Not tight enough I suspect. Of course right now I have a belt that is too tight.

Old 01-06-2005, 12:42 PM
krankshaft
Elder User
Be sure to check your tensioner the spring can get weak and not place enough tension on the belt. It doesn't happen very often but they do break.

Also check your pulleys for alignment.

Make sure the diagram is for your year Aerostar and engine type and if you ever have had any pulleys replaced the mechanic could have compensated with another belt.

I'm sure you've already done this but try to match up the old belt with the new one. The old one is probably a little stretched but should give you a decent idea of the length.

The new belt might not have too much slack the tensioner may have allowed the belt to slip off and when the moving belt came into contact with somthing that snapped the belt.

Since you finally got it in all I can think of is the tensioner or you have misaligned pulleys squealing is usually a lack of tension on the belt or a misaligned pulley or if the belt is old a dry belt but thats not the case here.

To check for pulley alignment use a straight edge between the pulleys.

If your tensioner is the pulley spring type where as when put a socket on the pulley bolt and turn clockwise you relieve the tension this applies.

If your alternator or any other device has a pivot joint then ignore this .

Last edited by krankshaft; 01-06-2005 at 01:08 PM.