Notices

Aluminum steps corroding

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 06:05 AM
palajoe
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aluminum steps corroding

I Installed two pairs of Carr step hoops on my 97 f250 CC about three weeks ago, and they are already looking corroded! We got a good amount of snow here in Indiana before Christmas and I'm wondering if the road salt could have caused the corrosion? Would an off the shelf aluminum polish shine them back up?

Joe

Old 01-03-2005, 07:13 AM
blackf3504dr
Elder User
You can use aluminium wheel cleaner on them and then use the polish .

Old 01-05-2005, 07:09 PM
patbomccauley
New User
Road Salt Bad

Don't live in midwest anymore but road salt bad. naval jelly will remove corrosion, used it on my storm doors. Then I clear coated them helped a bunch.

If they aren't too hard to take off you can also anodize them at home which will really help. Never actually anodized myself but this guy has a cool site devoted to it. http://www.focuser.com/atm/anodize/anodize99.htm

You could also find someone locally who will anodize for you...it's getting popular because of all of the colors available and it's corrosion resistent qualities.

Let me know if you try it.

Old 01-08-2005, 08:01 AM
dsldandually
Senior User
Napa aluminum brightener in a spray bottle, dont waste your money until spring cleaning time as the salt and aluminum dont get along

Old 01-08-2005, 05:49 PM
blackf3504dr
Elder User
Originally Posted by dsldandually
Napa aluminum brightener in a spray bottle, dont waste your money until spring cleaning time as the salt and aluminum dont get along
I have to disagree with dsldanddually , if you don't keep up with the maintainence on aluminium you may as well trash them and buy new ones in the spring . It will be pitted so bad it wont be worth trying to polish .

Old 01-08-2005, 06:08 PM
C M Budke
Senior User
I had the 24.5 Alcoas on my Kenworth professionally refinished. They told me to clean the wheels with aluminum cleaner/polish (I use the purple stuff), spray them down with Alcoa product that seals the aluminum, and finally wax them with a good carnubba wax (like maguier's). That was back in August. I make sure to spray them off regularly and they still look awesome. I don't see why you couldn't do the same to your steps. I wouldn't wait till spring. I' ve made that mistake before! If you want I can find out the name of the Alcoa spray. Good luck.

Chris

Old 01-08-2005, 08:42 PM
palajoe
Junior User
Hey guys. Sorry I haven't visited this post in a couple days. I thought it was dead! Thanks for all the advice. I'll probably try a good aluminum cleaner when I get a day off, then go from there if it doesn't work. I like the idea of anodizing them, as this would be a permanant solution. I also thought of trying some clearcoat in a spray can. I need to do something though. I have a new paintjob on the truck and the steps make the whole rig look like CRAP!

Joe