1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

83 2.8 Turns off when cold

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2004, 11:42 PM
soloalex1
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
83 2.8 Turns off when cold

Hello, I hope somebody can help me out. I just bought an 83 2.8 4x4 ranger and it has this problem, it takes a long time for it to warm up in the mornings and I have to keep giving it gas so it wont turn off. I have to do this for like 10-15 minutes. Once its warmed up it runs fine in the city or highways and when I come to signal lights or stop sings it doesnt turn off.
But, when I park it for about 20-30 minutes and try to start it I have to give it gas and warm it up for about 2 minutes because it turns off.
I just had a tune up done, changed spark plug wires, Ditributor cap and rotor, and PCV valve but it still does this.
Ive read in forums, some people think its the carbuerator, others say the TFI module, or the choke is not working right, or the thermostat.
Also the temperature guage in the instrument panel goes from cold to all the way to hot but the truck doesnt overheat. But if the temp guage drops a little bit when I happen to park it for 20 minutes and the engine cools down a little bit I have to warm it up almost like it hasnt ran all day.
If anyone has had this same problem or knows whats going on please let me know how to fix it. I would be very gratefull

Old 12-22-2004, 07:34 PM
Ken00
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to FTE!!!

I'm not familar with the setup on an 83 2.8 but it sounds like the choke/cold start system isn't working properly, try looking at this type of topic in your repair manual.

The first thing I would do is replacing the thermostat, then looking at the sendor.

Old 12-23-2004, 08:29 PM
soloalex1
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for replying. Its a 83 2.8 V6 4x4 4speed. I going to have the thermostat replaced this weekend. Hopefully thatll be the problem