2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ticking noise from steering column

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2004, 09:18 PM
JRSF150
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ticking noise from steering column

Good evening, My truck is a 2004 F150 Supercrew 5.4.
I saw mention in another post from Gmiterek indicating his truck had this issue. Ticking noise in the steering column. Mine does this to and it is annoying.
Is there a known resolution?

I am making a list of these issues so that when I take the truck in next week they can take a look at all of them.

I also have the rearend clunk\shutter at low speeds accerlerating. Sometimes turning. I see this has been covered thoroughly.

I also have a rattling coming from the front passenger door\window and also the drivers side door\window or dash. I can not tell on the drivers side for sure.
Any known issues and resolutions for this issue?

I did check the TSB section and did not see any for the ticking issue or the rattling from the front doors\windows. Thanks.

Old 12-21-2004, 09:36 PM
TestPilot
Junior User
A ticking sound from the steering column when turning the wheel is most often caused by a faulty Clock Spring. The Clock Spring tensions electical brushes against electical slides so that the electric buttons on the wheel (like cruise control) work regardless of how the wheel is turned. When the Clock Spring malfunctions, it rides against the inside of the wheel itself causing a clicking sound when the wheel is turned.

Old 12-21-2004, 10:13 PM
JRSF150
New User
Thank you Testpilot, unfortunatley this ticking noise happens almost all the time even when driving in a straight line. I know the sound you are referencing though and it does sound like that but I do not have to turn the steering wheel for it to happen. It seems to be worse if I am on a road that is not perfectly smooth. Definitely coming from the steering column though.

Old 12-22-2004, 02:05 AM
TestPilot
Junior User
Now that is strange! You got me on that one.

Old 12-22-2004, 02:21 AM
mjbesen310
Senior User
Originally Posted by JRSF150
Thank you Testpilot, unfortunatley this ticking noise happens almost all the time even when driving in a straight line. I know the sound you are referencing though and it does sound like that but I do not have to turn the steering wheel for it to happen. It seems to be worse if I am on a road that is not perfectly smooth. Definitely coming from the steering column though.
I more then likely whats going on with the ticking you have. I had the same thing that drove me insane going straight!! You will not believe this, but try it out for yourself. It probably had nothing to do with the inside of your cab! If you look inbetween your 2 front bumpers, you will see a big black rubber shield. Try hitting that a couple times with your hand to see if it makes the ticking sound you hear by your gauges! I did that with mine, heard what I thought was coming from my gauges as well. I didn't really know how to fix mine, so I tore the hole rubber shield off, and SILENT!! I could not believe such a sound came from under the bumpers! it's insane, but let me know if I helped any! The sound your discribing is exactly what I had until I found out what it was! Goodluck!

Old 12-22-2004, 09:40 PM
ATCS2004
Senior User
I have the same Ticking sound coming from I believe under the drivers side dash. It drives me crazy! Sounds almost like a relay clicking On and Off. I am taking my truck in for a leaking rear window and rear window squeek/rattle next week and hope they can figure out this Ticking under the dash at the same time. I will let you know what they find.

Old 12-22-2004, 10:26 PM
JRSF150
New User
Thanks for the replies,

ATCS2004, let us know what they find for sure.

mjbesen310, I will go out in the morning and take at the front bumper assembly and see if I can see what you are talking about. I will post tomorrow if I can to let you know what I find. Thanks again.

Old 12-23-2004, 12:18 AM
kamikaze2b
Senior User
Read this thread, it should answer your question.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...d.php?t=292735

Old 12-23-2004, 08:36 PM
JRSF150
New User
Kamaikaze2b, Thank you for the link, I did not see this one. I did not have time tonight to go out and check this or the other suggestion from Mjbesen but I will have time tomorrow. I wonder if when they replaced the steering column if the part that Ultramax21 mentioned was replaced as well. I can feel the frustration that you must have felt though. I think this may be a great truck once all of the little issues are taken care of. I hope this is it because it really helps to go into the dealer with some good ideas to help the technicians out, after all these trucks are new to them as well.
As I side note I am fairly new to this board and I really do appreciate the comments and helpful suggestions made here. I will take a look tomorrow and update.

Last edited by JRSF150; 12-23-2004 at 08:42 PM.
Old 12-23-2004, 10:20 PM
kamikaze2b
Senior User
You're weclome JRS. That's the beauty of these message boards! The clicking noise has not returned since they replaced the steering column. I recommend printing out these threads and bringing them with you when you go to your appointment. Sometimes the techs are just as frustrated as you are when they can't track these noises down. Good luck and Happy Holidays!

Old 12-23-2004, 10:22 PM
kfacpa
Freshman User
Hi, my 05 had same problem. Dealer said it was a piece of plastic inside steering colum. they cleaned it up and no more noise. Good luck!