Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tow straps vs. chains

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2004, 09:16 AM
teds74ford
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
He he This conversation is making me laugh. Each story has so many variables, it is impossible to accurately compare actual data. Here is my take. I have chains and use them. They are what I have and am too cheap to buy a strap. They have definite disadvantages. First, they are harsh. You aren't supposed to jerk on a chain anyway. That is probably why these chains in the stories are breaking. You apply tension and then pull. That being said, you can get no momentum, just hope the traction you have is enough. It seems the straps require more care. I think that a strap would work better for personal use. Finally, not being a dummy and getting stuck where you shouldn't be makes life a lot easier I have never needed a pull yet, but have helped people who have made slight errors in judgement. I am not trying to be cocky, but thinking out a situation first can really help the recovery efforts. A friend of mine really likes straps, and I have to say, they seem easier on everybody than chains. I guess personal preference is all this conversation boils down to. Have fun and be safe everybody. Oh, and merry Christmas

Old 12-25-2004, 09:12 PM
grafekie
Fleet Mechanic
Just changed my mind and asked for a tow STRAP for christmas... I have one on order, 40k 4" 20ft with loop ends, nothing metal to go flying. If that's not enough, the winch will have to do. If that's not enough, then the unlucky fool who I'm unable to get out will have to call a tow truck. Oh well...

Old 12-26-2004, 11:18 AM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
> I have one on order, 40k 4" 20ft with loop ends, nothing metal to go flying

Yep, way to go! All my straps have loops instead of hooks and I have a pintle hook on the back so hook up is always easy.

Old 12-26-2004, 11:24 AM
ibf250
Senior User
--Straps are not limited to 30 or 40K

i was just going by what was in the catalogs i was looking at had. straps went up to 40k and chains to 90k. but i stand corrected.

-- For anything over 10K that you are going to yank, the chain really should be at least 1/2" links. Try dragging 60 feet of that through snow and ice. It isn't easy.

try fitting 60 feet of the same chain behind your seat. that isnt easy either. my uncle runs a wrecker business, and all he uses is chains or cables. but he uses them 10 times a day, doesnt need to save space, and has a couple of people helping him load them up. plus, the cars hes pulling out, it doesnt really matter if something is jerked out of place on them anyways. but for the average person, whats the point in lugging a big chain around all the time?

-- Just changed my mind and asked for a tow STRAP for christmas

glad we could help i think youll be more than pleased with the strap youve got ordered.

Old 12-26-2004, 12:47 PM
grafekie
Fleet Mechanic
Have you priced those 90k chains? The ones I saw were about $10/ft or more... even the straps that are rated for 35k were close to $130 for 15 ft. I found a deal for a weaker strap that would do the job, and if it doesn't, well, that's why I have a winch. $65 isn't cheap, and that's the most basic strap I would use (broken far too many Wlamart straps...)

Old 12-26-2004, 04:50 PM
FARM69
Postmaster
We've always used chains on the farm. Theres been several occasions with chain breaks and such, but never had any problems. I think an issue that is forgotten is when hooking two chains together. Many people just hook the hooks together and go. I wouldn't think that would be too smart. We always do a knot type thing then hook the two together, then if possible wrap a coat or blanket around it. Sounds like straps are the way to go, but i'm too cheap.

Old 12-26-2004, 09:25 PM
SoCalDesertRider
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It's not a good idea to 'knot' a chain, or a strap either. Knotting greatly decreases their strength and can cause them to fail . Before I knew any better, whenever I tied two straps together, they ended up breaking at the knot.

When hooking 2 chains together where each has a hook that will hook to a link, I hook the hook of each chain onto the links of the other chain so the 2 chains overlap for a few links. The times I've tried hooking the hooks together, after the pull they get stuck together and it can be a real b itch to get them apart.

Sometimes I wrap the hooks with duct tape to keep them from comming unhooked from the chain when the chain has no tension on it since it's a hassle when you think you're all ready to pull and end up just dragging the chain along with nothing attatched to it cause the hook fell off .

Old 12-26-2004, 10:05 PM
toyrobotus
Senior User
Chains are much better at transmitting force that a strap, as they dont tend to stretch as much, so pulling someone out would be easier with a chain. Of course pulling someone out with a winch is much better! Straps are lighter than a chain, so people are more likely to have one with the. Lugging a chain through the mud is kinda a bummer, especially if its cold and wet out. All being equal, when we go mudding all we use straps for is wrapping around trees so the winch doesn't rip them apart.

Old 12-26-2004, 10:07 PM
trouble
Senior User
I use both straps and chains everyday, working tractor trailer crashes. The key is to know which one to use at the right time.We replace our straps every year. Most of the chains we use are 5/8.And yes we have BROKE 5/8 chains more than once.Which one is better?? Well it just depends on the job your doing.Both will break and both can kill you, Learn to respect them and use them right.

Old 12-26-2004, 10:51 PM
mlb4966
Posting Guru

I personally use a chain for pulling most things. I have 50 feet of galv 5/8" chain. Given to me free so it became my "Utility Strap" Yes I know overkill. I also attach a "Yates Screamer" (Climbing Gear) at each end with slack. Those will absorb any backlash if the chain breakes at either end. The only pain is the weight of the 5-gallon bucket that it is flaked in. I also have a 10,000 strap that I occasionally use. Both have their place. I like the chain due to the enviroment that it is subjected to. Rope, webbing ect just deteroiate faster were I live.

Pulled a E350 18 passenger bus/van (Larger than a van) with 14' enclosed trailer out of the snowbank a few weeks ago. Just placed the truck in 4-low and out he came. Of course the studded tires helped with traction. With a small load pull a strap might actually be better in some cases because of the stretch/slingshot effect.

Either one can break. I'v seen them break tow ropes and cables on tugs moving super tankers and these things are as big as you arm or leg. Someone mentioned it above, just keep everyone out of the way just in case something does go wrong.

Ropes can be so-so. Unfourtunally most people tie a whatchamacallit knot. Depending on the knot given that strength of the rope can be diminished to only 30%. A common bowline is only good for 50% of the rope strength.

I also like to have the other vehicle driver attach the tow thing-a-mbob to their vehicle so that way I'm not liable for what ever I happen to pull off. Most people know were to attach it.

Old 12-28-2004, 01:02 AM
Howdy
Posting Guru
If you've had bad expirences with a strap, it's probably been one of the cheap tow straps they sell with the metal hooks on the ends that cost about $20. The commercial straps that have been mentioned with the loops on the ends are the ones to have. I've used them almost daily for years, in all sorts of weather and have never had a problem. You can tell the good ones by the multistitch and they have a leather tag on one end with the load rating.

Most rigging is done with straps anymore. I set a 65,000# tower with a single strap once. Most of the 80K# shelters have an eight point pick, so it spreads the load. I had one set a few months ago and the crane guys had rigged one side with chain, the other with strap, because they weren't prepared. I just told them, you break it you buy it, and sat back with my camera - they rerigged after almost tipping it.

Over at the coast last summer I helped pull a 32 foot motorhome out of the sand. A guy there had an 80 Bronco and a bunch of straps and never had a problem. (It finally took a big tow truck with 300' of cable, that Bronco and a Dodge pickup to get him out. The Bronco was the workhorse..) Didn't ask the guy if he visits the site, he had a nice rig.

I use chains a lot for rigging, too. They have their place, but I prefer straps for stuff like vehicle extraction and towing.

I've broke chains, straps, ropes and cables - I prefer straps..

Old 12-29-2004, 02:31 PM
racsan
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ive mainly used chains (on the farm) ive got a strap but havent got the chance to use it. ive towed a citation ('bout the size of a tempo) across the county before with a chain. i duct-taped the hooks to the chain and wrapped 1/2 rope around the chain (in case of chain breakage) whatever you use, you dont want to jerk on either, i have heard of someone who used a strap to pull another car out of ditch with a fwd car, said it just acted like a big rubber band and he was stopped when the "recoil" of the strap pulled out the other car.

Old 12-29-2004, 03:21 PM
Eric C.
Elder User
EX Sailor (20 years) saw a lot of synthetic and wire ropes fail along with chains on ships towing bridles fail. Respect it and watch what you do. I let the other guy hook it to his and I hook it to mine.