Which one should I get?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 12:00 PM
Jimjdb1
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which one should I get?

Ken:

It's that time again. I am waiting for my new 2005 F-350 6.0 SC SRW to come in. It should be here any day now. I'm having a hard time waiting for it.

I tow a 8000 lb 5-wheel trailer sometimes. Most of the time I just go back and forth to work. Twice a year I take a long trip, 1 with and 1 without the trailer. I really dont want to do a bunch of programming and reprogramming.

My question is, what is the best item for me to buy, a chip or a tuner? I don't think I will be doing a bunch of mods but I may do a few ( Air filter and Exaust ). I have the Diablo chip now and I like it until I have to take it in for repairs and I have to remove the chip. What a pain. I basicly want to eleminate the turbo lag and peek it up a little. I will be waiting to hear from you.

Jim

Old 12-16-2004, 04:53 AM
Jimjdb1
Elder User
Ken, I need some help on this one !!!!!

Ken

Could you give me a little insite on this? I just don't know which way to go, a tuner or a chip.

Thanks

Jim

Old 12-16-2004, 06:38 AM
propellerhead
Senior User
Let me throw in a few points here....

A tuner does what a chip does, and so much more. Just look at the product descriptions. The big thing is that it takes a minute or two to 'undo' the installation before you take your vehicle to a Ford service center for maintenance. A chip is easily spotted and will void your warranty in most cases. A chip is final. You have to get it reburned for updates or changes. A tuner lets you do that anytime. I just downloaded the latest update to the Predator and installed it in 10 minutes last night.

Old 12-16-2004, 06:52 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Jim,

Please remember its the holidays and allow me adequate time to respond. I'm working 16 hour days right now with MotorHaven and the Christmas holidays. No need to post a follow-up the next day asking for a response, I get to the chip posts when I'm available. I was on the phone (and packing boxes) almost all of yesterday handling MotorHaven stuff.

The 6.0 can't be chipped, it has no service port for a chip.
The only options for the 2005 6.0 is the Diablo Predator (Superchips doesn't support the 2005 yet) and fueling boxes (they simply up the injection pressure and bumping the timing).

Old 12-21-2004, 07:26 PM
Jimjdb1
Elder User
Damn Ken, you guys are good. I ordered my Diablo programmer monday and it was delivered today (tuesday). I've already programed the truck and it works GREAT!!!!!. It was easy to do also. I hate buying something I've never seen before off the net but this works just like you said it would. It was so easy to program that I got it correct the first time.

Thank you all for all you did to get this out to me. You guys do a great job there.

Jim