Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Fuel puddle on top of engine.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 05:26 PM
fridgeddiesel
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Fuel puddle on top of engine.

Last week or so I've been smelling diesel when I shut off the engine. While working on other things in the engine compartment, I noticed a pool of diesel sitting on top of the engine between the fuel feed pump and under the turbocharger. The lines to the feed pump look old and cracked and need replacing, but they are dry. The feed pump itself is damp and dirty- as is the rest of the top of the block. I'm guessing the diaphram in the feed pump has worn out and is leaking. Can't really see where it is coming from, but there is enough to fill the top of the block in about a ten minute drive. I'm going to replace the feed pump and lines. Hope this takes care of the problem. Anyone else run into this situation?

Do I need to remove the turbo charger to get at the high pressure line connecting nut to get it off? Any easier ideas?

97 7.3L diesel 120,000 miles

Last edited by fridgeddiesel; 12-07-2004 at 05:56 PM.
Old 12-07-2004, 05:30 PM
Frobozz
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very common - replace the pump and the lines and you'll probably cure it. Since you have to take it out anyway to replace the pump, inspect the sensors and stuff screwed into the side of your filter housing, and check the filter housing base itself. Sometimes these can be the source of leaks too.

Duncan

Old 12-07-2004, 05:38 PM
unluckylow
Senior User
Yeah that happened to me Im not sure what year you have but on my 2000 the furl filter assembly is on top, and what mine was someone had put the wrong filter and gasket in it. I put the correct one in and it stopped leaking, and no more puddle on top of engine.That was just my problem yours might be more complex than that, I was just sharing info. Good luck

Old 12-07-2004, 07:02 PM
96farmer
Freshman User
Hey, that happened to me a couple of weeks ago, and I am at college, so I don't have anywhere to work on mine, a 96 f-250 146000 miles, so I had to take it in to Ford. They said it was the fuel heater plate assembly. I don't know if that helps you any, but that's what they said.

Old 12-08-2004, 02:38 AM
fedextech
Senior User
frobozz is right on the money with this one...i agree. the pump asy is 2 pumps in one, low press feed and hi press to the rails. use a 1 1/4 combo wrench to loosen the banjo flow thru bolt on the outlet line of the hi press pump. you will need to buy these 2 seal rings ( for this fitting) seperatly (ford). a tip for re-installing this fitting...place a shop rag below this fitting so that it's right up to the bottom of the fitting, intstall the the flow thru bolt with the new gasket thru the fitting with the end even with the pump side of the fitting, install the pump, put the 2 bolts in, just snug the pump till it touches the block, back off the bolts 1/4 turn (approx) so the pump will wobble slightly, slide the second gasket between the pump and banjo fitting (the rag you put under the fitting earlier will support the gasket and not let it fall thru) ,start the flow thru bolt and run up by hand, NOW pull the shop rag out so that it does not get pinched in between gaskets, tighten the pump, tighten the flow thru bolt. you need to check the vacum sensor on the cab side of the fuel water seperator for leaks while the pump is out. the sensor has one wire on it and it's just above the supply line to the hi press pump ( the line that comes out of the bottom of the fuel water seperator going to the hi press pump). if it's wet with fuel ,any at all, replace it. when you get the old pump out, you will notice a small weep hole for each pump, it should be obvious if fuel was leaking from one of these, dark stains,wet, washed clean of dirt and grime, ect...i use the borg warner pump from oreilly auto, lifetime warranty. get 'ir done. ( 1 hr job )