1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Diagnosing a speedometer problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2004, 01:01 PM
dawsrobe
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diagnosing a speedometer problem

Hey:

My first posting! I'm excited about finding this resource. What a great idea.
My '49 Merc p.u. had the speedo quit. The real question is, how to a diagnose where the problem is: easy enough to check the cable itself, but how do you know if the problem is at the tranny or the speedo?
The cable is a square end of type 8C-17260-A.

Old 12-05-2004, 01:24 PM
F250Rob
Laughing Gas
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Welcome to FTE! This website is one of my primary resources on these old trucks and there's good people involved. Very little of the posing and mudslinging you see on other forums.

The speedo on my truck is also broken, but I haven't dug into it yet to figure out why. Hopefully somebody who has fixed a broken speedo will chime in and describe the system and we both will benefit!

ROB

Old 12-05-2004, 01:48 PM
54 gene
Senior User
I had that problem with my 54 it would not stay on one speed it would jump all over it was the speedo gear which is on the end of your cable make sure you count the teeth so you get the right number of teeth you may tray to grease the cable I hope this will help you out.

Old 12-05-2004, 05:29 PM
dawsrobe
New User
Thanks 54 gene
I've got it.
The speedo gear has been worn down. It engages with a worm gear in the tranny. Any ideas on where I can get a replacement? There's 19 teeth.
By the way Rob; not only do you have to take the cable off at the tranny, but you also have to remove the threaded end that the cable attaches to.

Old 12-06-2004, 08:11 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dawsrobe
Thanks 54 gene
I've got it.
The speedo gear has been worn down. It engages with a worm gear in the tranny. Any ideas on where I can get a replacement? There's 19 teeth.
By the way Rob; not only do you have to take the cable off at the tranny, but you also have to remove the threaded end that the cable attaches to.
Most any reproduction parts supplier will have the speedometer gear. Sacramento Ford lists them in their catalog.

Vern

Old 12-06-2004, 01:10 PM
54 gene
Senior User
Dawsrob you can get the part right in Pickering not far from you go to www.fordantiqueparts.com it is called Absolete ford truck parts hope it is a help to you.

Old 12-06-2004, 03:23 PM
dawsrobe
New User
Thanks 54 gene

I had seen Pickering on the Net, but their website isn't that informative...so I was curious but not sure. Good idea though. I guess I should get a catalogue.