Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

48RE vs Torqushift and Allison

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2004, 10:10 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't heard that at all. Then again, your typical stock Dodge tranny already shifts like crap after a few thousand miles anyway. I just can't see how Dodge would be worse off using something like the Torqshift. It is much better than their current auto.

Old 11-29-2004, 10:54 PM
milan
Senior User
I read on dodge forum that for 48RE trans safe limit is 567 Lb/ft. By safe it means the limit that will make the trans last at least through the extended warranty period, and most likely as long as an owner could reasonably assume one would last under normal conditions (ie 100,000 to 120,000 miles). The 610 is torque managed to a max of 567. The 33 lb/ft loss is to account for accessory loads, A/C, fan, and generator. If the accessory loads are high, the engine is making 600 less the load. No loads, it is managed to the 567 max. See post:

http://turbodieselregister.com/forum...d.php?t=116106

Old 11-29-2004, 11:29 PM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by johnsdiesel
Again, the Cummins doesn't put out that much more torque and at it's peak it is less than 100 lb/ft more than the PSD. Plenty of people on here running big chips and methanol, etc. have not made any upgrades to the transmission, so I don't think they are pushing the limits in stock configuration as you suggest. The "mighty" Cummins would work fine behind a Torqshift, certainly better than their current transmission which is in no way stronger than the TS.
You sir, are mistaken. The cummins puts out about 100 more lb ft at low rpms. At least by there engine dynos. Real world data seems to suggest its a larger margin than that. Whey you are talking about a 2 to 1 torque multiplier at lower rpms. We are talking about 15% to 25% more input torque on the cummins. This can be what makes or breaks a tranny. Low rpm torque is murder on a tranny. Again. I ask. Why is peak torque so out of line, with the competition, on the 6.0? 400 rpm is a lifetime in the diesel world. Especially since off idle torque is what gets these sleds rolling.

As for a TS handling 200 more lb ft of torque stock. For how long? Even the lowly 47re will handle an uprate. Seen a stock 47re handle 800 lb ft. For almost a year. For those that like numbers. Thats almost twice its rated input torque. In other words. Any tranny can handle an uprate. For a period of time. In the end. Time will kill em all.
I haven't heard that at all. Then again, your typical stock Dodge tranny already shifts like crap after a few thousand miles anyway.
This is your first hand experience?

As for dodge needing a 5 speed. I believe its finished. Just needs integrated. Its called the 58re.

Last edited by Logical Heritic; 11-29-2004 at 11:40 PM.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:37 PM
milan
Senior User
Originally Posted by Logical Heritic
You sir, are mistaken. The cummins puts out about 100 more lb ft at low rpms. At least by there engine dynos....
I checked carefully this forum and I could not find torque graph for 6.0. Do you have one? I would appreciate if you can email to me.

Old 11-29-2004, 11:41 PM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by milan
I checked carefully this forum and I could not find torque graph for 6.0. Do you have one? I would appreciate if you can email to me.
They deleted the one I used to reference. Sorry. I more or less just memorized the key points.

Old 11-29-2004, 11:50 PM
milan
Senior User
... We are talking about 15% to 25% more input torque on the cummins. This can be what makes or breaks a tranny...
If Dodge put 100 lb ft more at low RPM then Dodge truck should accelerate much better then 6.0. In all test that I have seen so far the SD was clear winner. Any explanation?

Old 11-30-2004, 12:01 AM
Found On Road Dead22
Freshman User
agh this again!......all three trannies suck!!!! they're ok stock if u maintain the fluid!!! if u tow heavy all the time u should flush at the end of the month every month!! i personally like manuals because u blow the cluth once and u get a performance cutch on time!!! for agrand and ur done!! i like the fords ive driven but dont let ur bias get u guys that 48 re has a tough job to do behind that cummins!! the allison wouldnt last a month behind there i....any dork can get a programmer or torque plate or injectors and add 100 hp in aday to their engine but ur gonna have to mod the tranny dont care what brand loyalty u are

back to which one is best...hmm well i hear alot of complaints from allison about computer/electronic glitches and huuuge prices to fix these trannies.....torqueshift guys choose not to say anything because they're still recovering from the aftershock of the 6.0 issues ( sigh i know) and the 48 re has had no complaints so far i nkow its shifts very hard ! and i like that aspect its just a new tranny still so no one really knows dont hate on the dodge tranny guys just cause ur looking for a reason to bash dodge ....if dodge gets a 5 speed revamped auto tranny u'll be strongly considering the the dark side and u know it haha

Old 11-30-2004, 12:49 AM
tmyers
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I find these arguments funny. Only one thing really kills a tranny and that is heat. Take the heat out of the system and the tranny will last a long time.

Overall I think the TS is probably the superior tranny though the allison is also good. Would either tranny work behind the Cummins, of course they would. But like anything else, you don't mod one thing without modding the whole thing. It is very cheap to mod a tranny to handle more power within reason, a deep pan, a larger cooler and a tranny temp gauge. Less than a few hundred and you save yourself thousand maybe. Why take the chance.

Old 11-30-2004, 12:58 AM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
You sir, are mistaken. The cummins puts out about 100 more lb ft at low rpms. At least by there engine dynos.
Wrong. The Cummins makes peak torque (according to the Cummins website) at 1600 RPM. 600 for the Cummins at 1600 RPM, about 525 for the PSD 560 lb/ft version. I'm not sure about the 2005 engine because I believe they lowered the peak torque a little bit and I know they raised the torque to 570. At any rate, 600-525=75, which is less than 100 as I said originally. Regardless, this is not a comparison of the Cummins vs PSD.

Yes, my statement about Dodge transmissions is based people I know. I personally would never own a Dodge, but I have driven and riden in plenty of them that have sloppy transmissions, even at low mileage.

Last edited by johnsdiesel; 11-30-2004 at 01:04 AM.
Old 11-30-2004, 01:17 AM
Found On Road Dead22
Freshman User
once again it all depends on ur brand loyalty...we own a 99 7.3 dually with an auto and that thing is the worst tranny i ever had!!! cant even tell its shifting very sloppy its been rebuilt every year end of winter after plowing with it thats 3 rebuilds now since we got it....we got a95 2500 cummins with the auto and that thing shifts crisp i like its feel a whole lot more doesnt get plowed with though ...got a large weed spray tank on it instead every day of the spring and summer season....hasnt been rebuilt yet been 3 years....so i dunno ....guys who turn up their fuel pumps quite alot on their cummins experiience eventual tranny problems....i dunno how the older gm trannies were behind the diesel we dont use em for any kind of work

Old 11-30-2004, 01:39 AM
tmyers
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Found On Road Dead22
once again it all depends on ur brand loyalty...we own a 99 7.3 dually with an auto and that thing is the worst tranny i ever had!!! cant even tell its shifting very sloppy its been rebuilt every year end of winter after plowing with it thats 3 rebuilds now since we got it....we got a95 2500 cummins with the auto and that thing shifts crisp i like its feel a whole lot more doesnt get plowed with though ...got a large weed spray tank on it instead every day of the spring and summer season....hasnt been rebuilt yet been 3 years....so i dunno ....guys who turn up their fuel pumps quite alot on their cummins experiience eventual tranny problems....i dunno how the older gm trannies were behind the diesel we dont use em for any kind of work
I really wonder if any auto used to plow with would hold up. I perfer an auto for alomst anything but I would buy a manuel for plowing I think. Either that or install an active cooling system to keep the tranny cool. Its heat that is killing the tranny and I don't care how cold it is outside.

Old 11-30-2004, 02:15 AM
f250rangerexplorer
Posting Guru
i wouldn't mind seeing a 7 speed manual in the Ford line-up behind the v-10 and PSD. i think that and a new 6 speed auto they would have the truck market for sure. that is utilizing the power better than a 5 speed auto and a 6 speed manual. people would think wow a 6 speed auto. and a 7 speed manual. i gotta check this out. only problem is that Chevy and Dodge would find out and hurry to put something together and try and compete. if there could be a 6 speed TS with the reliability of the 5 speed TS they'd have it made. A ZF7 would be nice also. Shoot if you put a Aux. unit behind these they'd be a big truck trans and have a great selection of gears. Just my $0.02
-Aaron

Old 11-30-2004, 02:53 AM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
Wrong. The Cummins makes peak torque (according to the Cummins website) at 1600 RPM. 600 for the Cummins at 1600 RPM, about 525 for the PSD 560 lb/ft version. I'm not sure about the 2005 engine because I believe they lowered the peak torque a little bit and I know they raised the torque to 570. At any rate, 600-525=75, which is less than 100 as I said originally. Regardless, this is not a comparison of the Cummins vs PSD.

Yes, my statement about Dodge transmissions is based people I know. I personally would never own a Dodge, but I have driven and riden in plenty of them that have sloppy transmissions, even at low mileage.
Not 600. 610. 525 is awful generous. Remember Ive picked the dynos apart. More like 517. Puts em about 93 lb ft apart. I knew this. Drive both with a manual and tell me they are only 93lb ft apart. They are not. The cummins comes on much stronger in the lower rpms than the 6.0. The true difference would be more like 150 lb ft apart at 1600. Assuming the autos and manuals share the same powerband.
You are correct this is not a comparison between the engines. But a comparison of what each transmission will see as input torque. The answer is the 48re has to sustain 15% to 25% more input torque. So much in fact that it is more torque than the torqueshift is rated for. Trust me johnsdiesel. Ive spent a large amount of time pondering such things.
The reason the peak torque is so high with the PSD. The reason they have given up on the torque wars, for now. Is they cannot send one lb more into the torqueshift transmission. It is only rated for 1100 lb ft. Which it already makes at 570 lb ft, with 1.89 multiplication of course . Even with the higher rpm peak torque. In other words. They cannot budge one inch. Maybe in 2006 they will reclaim the throne.
My experience with the 47res. They were very reliable. Shifted fine. They were by no means a TS or Ally but served their intended purpose.

Something that hasnt been touched on. Is the torqueshift is seeing failures too. I was reading at the dieselstop earlier. There were three members with there trucks in the shop getting the trannies rebuilt. More had problems. Not even the torqueshift is immune to failure. Is it more or less than the allison or 48 re. I hear its more but couldnt tell you for sure. Its ever so rare to catch a tranny failure rate. Especially since its all warranty work. Fords not gonna spill the beans.

Last edited by Logical Heritic; 11-30-2004 at 02:59 AM.
Old 11-30-2004, 04:27 AM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Is the torqueshift is seeing failures too. I was reading at the dieselstop earlier. There were three members with there trucks in the shop getting the trannies rebuilt. More had problems. Not even the torqueshift is immune to failure.
Torqshift failures are few and far between - it is far more reliable than both the allison and the 48re in its application.
Believe me, I know these things

And yes the 48re may be able to handle more low down torque - which can easily kill a transmission - it is not more effective or reliable in its given application.
It is unable to keep the Dodge in its effective powerband due to ineffective, and too few, ratios.
Just because it can handle more low down torque does it mean that the transmission is the best?
The Torqshift has the highest heat transfer capacity, due to the higher revving nature of the 6.0, does this make it the best transmission?

The Torqshift has the best (proven) combination of:
Reliability - even in mildly tuned form (ask Matt how much it took to kill his.)
Ratios - all are suitable for the powerband of the engine.
Trans calibration - trans is rarely in the incorrect gear for the engine.

Therefore I vote the torqshift the best transmission.

Old 11-30-2004, 05:35 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Not even the torqueshift is immune to failure.
Nor Dodge or Chevy or Honda or Toyota...or...

Quick Reply: 48RE vs Torqushift and Allison